Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: NEW Revlon Super Lustrous Lipglosses (five of ten shades)

The new Revlon Super Lustrous Lipglosses seem to be a hot button topic around here. For various reasons, a lot of you are either happy or sad about this change. Since the old, square style tubes and shades are, at the time of this post, still around at plenty of retailers (and can be found on clearance at many places), I thought I better pick up and review some of the new ones ASAP so that you'd know what the biggest differences are between the two. That way, you can stock up on the old style (if you want to) before they're gone forever!

NEW Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Glosses
Top to bottom: Berry Allure, Fuchsia Finery, Fatal Apple, Super Natural, Pink Pop
($7.99 each at Rite Aid, 0.13 oz)

I purchased the five shades (there are ten total) that appeared to be cremes--the remaining five shades in this range all have visible shimmer and/or sparkle. What I didn't know until I got these out in the sunlight (see pics above and below) was that the red shade, Fatal Apple, contains very fine, very subtle sparkle that is almost imperceptible to the eye. So I'm still calling it a creme, because you really have to struggle to see the sparkle. In fact, I had to enlarge the above photo and really zoom in before the sparkle in Fatal Apple became visible in this photo:


Something else that's interesting is that the darkest shade of all the cremes, Berry Allure, actually has what I would call a jelly consistency when viewed in close-up:


See how different it looks compared to Fuchsia Finerry? It has noticeable jelly-like consistency in the tube.

What's interesting to note about the new packaging is that the old style glosses contained 0.2 oz of product, yet the tubes themselves were slightly smaller (and square). We now seem to be getting less product and a round tube--the new glosses contain 0.13 oz of product. The price is the same at my Rite Aid for both the old and new glosses.

Super Natural, Pink Pop, Fuchsia Finery, Fatal Apple, Berry Allure

The applicator seems to be slightly larger and not quite as stiff as the old style applicator (it's not flimsy or floppy, but the old applicators were SUPER stiff and these just feel "normal"):


No real "safety seal" on these (BOO!) but they do have a sticker over the opening that you have to peel off before you can unscrew the lid:


And when you open it, the outer sticker breaks away so that you're left with a smaller, permanent sticker on the tube that includes the shade name:



The formula of these lipglosses is entirely new. This formula contains some good-for-your-skin ingredients like avocado oil and hyaluronic acid, which were NOT in the old formula. Also, the new formula does not contain any SPF, whereas the old formula contained SPF15.

Here's the old formula's ingredient list (from drugstore.com):

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%)

Inactive Ingredients: Polybutene, Octyldodecanol, Diisostearyl Malate, Polyethylene, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Extract, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Serica (Silk Powder), Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Benzoic Acid, BHT
Super Natural, Pink Pop, Fuchsia Finery, Fatal Apple, Berry Allure


I looked long and hard when I was at Rite Aid and compared these new shades to the older glosses (which my Rite Aid still had in the permanent wall display). I could not find a dupe, or even a "close-enough" dupe for any of the five shades that I purchased. I also compared these new shades to the ColorBurst glosses and couldn't find any dupes either. Granted, I was only comparing tubes--there MIGHT be dupes for the old shades in the new line when it comes to the color you get on your actual lips. For instance, Fatal Apple does resemble the old shade Firecracker, but it's not an exact dupe (Firecracker is warmer and not as deep of a red).

But the interesting thing is that a few of these new colors look very similar to each other. If you look at the swatches above (the ones on my arm), you can see that Fuchsia Finery and Berry Allure look almost identical. On the lips, Fuchsia Finery is more sheer and not as pigmented, whereas Berry Allure is deeper and also has a smoother, more even consistency.

So let's break it down:

Super Natural - A nude, Your Lips But Better shade that gives my medium-pigmented lips a bit more of a pinkish flush than I normally have. The name of this shade is quite fitting!

Pink Pop - Nothing's really "popping" with this one, despite how bright this color looks in the tube. On my lips, it's a nice enough pink, but it requires multiple "trips to the tube" to get the color to the level you see above. I think that if your lips are less pigmented than mine, you'll probably have better luck with this one. For the rest of us, it's a pretty sheer color that you're going to have to pack on in order to see.

Fuchsia Finery - Gorgeous in the tube, kind of "meh" on my lips. It's a little bit streaky and, just like Pink Pop, required several "trips to the tube" to get the color to what you see above. Also, this one is a bit spotty/streaky on my lips.

Fatal Apple - my favorite of the bunch, but that's because I'm a sucker for sheer reds. The level of pigmentation is good, it's easy to get a smooth, even consistency and the color is one of those perfect, neutral reds that's not too orange and not too blue.

Berry Allure - my second favorite shade of the bunch. This is a deep, wine-berry shade that not only looks good after application, but also leaves a very pretty, even stain on the lips as it wears down. If you were thinking of getting Fuchsia Finery, I would say get Berry Allure instead. Even though they look dramatically different in the tube, they're not too much different on the lips and Berry Allure is the better of the two. Don't let the dark color in the tube scare you off.

Now let's talk about the other stuff...

Flavor and fragrance: Those who were not fans of the berry flavor or fragrance of the original Super Lustrous glosses will be happy to know that these new versions are completely different. They have a very mild vanilla flavor and fragrance and that's it!

Texture and consistency: The one thing I never did like about the original glosses was their sticky texture. Well, it's GONE! The new formula is not sticky in the slightest. The texture feels better on the lips (to me), with no stickiness or heaviness, yet it feels creamy and hydrating. I definitely prefer the feel of the new formula over the old.

Finish and pigmentation: None of the cremes in this range have the opacity of, for example, Lilac Pastelle. They're all pretty sheer, but the deeper shades can be built up for more pigmentation and vibrancy. Despite how some of these colors look in the tube, all of the shades I'm reviewing today are very work-appropriate, even in the most conservative of offices. Some of these are probably best reserved for layering over lipsticks, but the deeper shades (Fatal Apple and Berry Allure) are quite lovely on their own (and leave a nice, even stain behind).

Staying power: I was afraid, when I discovered that these weren't sticky glosses, that the staying power might be horrible. But I have been pleasantly surprised by them. I can get about 2-3 hours of wear from the deeper shades, and about 1-2 hours of wear from the lighter shades (that's actually very good for me--glosses are my enemy and usually disappear in less than an hour on my lips).

FINAL VERDICT: Some of you are going to love these, and some of you are going to long for the originals and wish they would have never gone away. That's just the way it is when a brand rolls out a "new and improved" version of a classic, well-loved product. On the whole, I'm fairly happy with the cremes in this range (I have yet to try the shimmer/sparkle shades) but I think that I would only repurchase the deeper shades, since I think you get more bang for your buck with those (stronger pigmentation and they leave a nice, even stain behind as they wear down). I think the texture, hydration, lack of stickiness and new, soft vanilla flavor and fragrance are BIG improvements over the old glosses, and I also like the addition of avocado oil and hyaluronic acid in the new formula. These glosses feel more hydrating on my lips, and more comfortable as well. On the other hand, I'm not "wowed" by the color selection of the creme shades in this range now that I've actually worn them on my lips. I wish the pigmentation and opacity of the lighter colors was better, but they work well for layering over lipsticks. The deeper shades, however, are quite nice as-is.

Were you a big fan of the original Super Lustrous Lipglosses? Are you excited to try the new versions?  Do you already own any of these new glosses? I'd love to hear from you!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

27 comments

  1. Lovely! Fatal Apple's also my favorite, based on your swatches. I love sheer reds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even more lovely in person, Aviva! :)

      Delete
    2. I just tried the snow pink which is kind of a nude peach with sparkle and I LOVE it!!!!!!! I can't get over the lustrousness of it! I am a fair skinned redhead and this is the perfect shade for me. Thank you for your informative post.

      Delete
  2. Revlon has yet to update their website with the new version. I hope Shine City is still in the collection. That's my favorite clear gloss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty certain that it's not. There are ten shades in this new display (just like how there are ten shades in the original range) and no clear shade. In fact, the only color that shares a name with a shade from the old range is Pink Pop and it's a different color now

      .http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/04/spotted-new-revlon-super-lustrous.html

      Delete
  3. Thaks for the review G.I like the packaging but now it has less gloss in the tube before it was
    .20 oz now it is .13 oz that is less than a mac lipgloss and 8 dlls for so little product well it is not worth it. Nice going Revlon cheating your clients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'll pick up Fatal Apple next time I see a good sale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought pink pop and super natural. I totally agree with your review of super natural, a good everyday work shade. The pink pop was a bit brighter on my lips and seemed to get brighter with wear! I need berry allure now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to try these new glosses. I was never a fan of the scent of the old version but I can definitely do vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fatal Apple is pretty, but I'm not a fan of glosses.
    I'm a little disappointed in Revlon lately, that they are offering considerably less product for the same money. I also don't like that those duochrome polishes are selling for $8 SRP, and I'm hearing the Baby Sticks, which I was so excited about, are pretty lackluster in color payoff. Though I do love the new Wild Watermelon lip butter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look way too sheer... I have one of the old Revlon glosses "Coral Reef" and it's not quite opaque but it's definitely not sheer either, it's a nice medium. I wish these were the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just picked up Snow Pink and Pink Pop. Snow Pink is just a clear gloss with shimmer (I was hoping it would be a shimmery verison of 'peach petal'. Pink Pop is now a bit darker than the original, but less pigmentation. These all seem much more sheer than the original line. Ugh! These were my favorite drugstore glosses, too. At least I have NYX and Maybelline. I'm going to pick up 'Pango Peach' next...but that's about it. These cosmetic companies always ruin a good thing! It saves me money, though because I'm not interested in every shade I see now. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were pretty blah looking when I saw them at my local Wal-Mart so I passed on the cremes and bought one of the sparkle shades in "Snow Blossom"? I hope to pick up the violet colored sparkle as well. I do actually like these a lot more than the old formula which was too gloppy for me. However, Berry Allure looks pretty but I have sooooo many berry glosses already. Hmm...What to do, what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have Pink Pop in the square tube. Is it a different colour?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I'll like these because they're not as opaque as the originals. Boo... :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not impressed, though I may try Berry Allure. The old ones were excellent and I never detected any taste/ scent or stickyness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, I didn't know Revlon decreased the amount of product in these new tubes!

    I like Berry Allure, but yeah, the other shades haven't wowed me.

    I'm currently loving the old lipglosses in Coral Reef and Pink Pop though. Pink Pop shows up a bit brighter on my lips.
    They are glossy and make my lips look ultra smooth and full. They're not that sticky to me and they don't have a weird taste/smell either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love my shimmers and sparkles so I am going to keep to the Color Burst line. I have nearly all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a lover of the original & a few I consider staple shades (which is a big deal with a stash like mine!) so I'm upset to hear the opacity isn't there with these. I'll definitely try them in the future but for now I'm petting my backups like an evil villain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can anyone tell me where you are finding these? I live in the suburbs of Philly and have not seen them anywhere! Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, this is exciting for me because my lips can't take SPF, so while I loved Pink Pop and Coral Reef, I couldn't even bother using them. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely swatches! I have pics and swatches of the two I have purchased (Pango Peach and Sugar Violet) on my blog. I love the new colors! I definitely will be grabbing more when I see them again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not a fan of the new glosses. Way too sheer for me. Luckily, thanks to this blog, I have stocked up on all of the old Super Lustrous glosses that I love at CVS. I don't know how I am going to replace Coral Reef and Pink Pop when they're gone, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the breakdown. I'm on the hunt for Coral Reef from the old line. ::sniff sniff::

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad I read your comment about not letting the darker color in the tube scare me off -- normally it totally would! LOL I may just pick this one up later.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig