Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, February 1, 2013

Review: Maybelline Limited Edition Baby Lips Lip Balm in Yummy Plummy

If you missed the 5,000 posts I've done to date about these limited edition Baby Lips shades, let me give you a quick recap:

There are five shades total in this limited edition collection. Three of the five LE shades first surfaced in November of last year (Twinkle, Coral Crush and Pink Wink) and they were in special two-packs that also included some of the regular, core collection shades. Then, in December, Maybelline released two additional limited edition shades (Yummy Plummy and Melon Mania) along with the first three LE shades in a counter display like this.

Since LE displays come and go so quickly sometimes, I thought I had missed my window of opportunity to get these when I couldn't find them in December. But then, a few days ago at Rite Aid, I spotted a brand new, fully-stocked display exactly like this one. So I grabbed Yummy Plummy (I already reviewed Coral Crush and Twinkle here). 

If you're still looking for these LE shades, don't give up hope! Your drugstores might still put them out, and I actually just saw a TV commercial for them the other day, which means they're probably still going to be a around for a while.

Whew! Now that we've got that covered, let's take a look at Yummy Plummy:

Maybelline Limited Edition Baby Lips Lip Balm in Yummy Plummy
(retail: $3.79 at Rite Aid, 0.15 oz)

Keep reading for my full review...


 

It's important to note that, unlike the original, permanent Baby Lips lip balms, the limited edition shades do NOT contain SPF. To see how the ingredients compare to the originals, you can click here to view my review of the core shades.




Yummy Plummy does not contain any shimmer. I would describe it as a soft pinky-brown-mauve-nude. Yeah, I know that's a lot of colors to hyphenate, but it really does have a little bit of each color to it:



This is one of those colors that, due to its milky quality, is going to look quite different depending on your skintone and the pigmentation of your lips. If your lips are deeply pigmented, I think it might not be pigmented enough to give you a really visible wash of color. But if your lips are medium to lightly pigmented, this color could really work for you. On my medium-pigmented lips, it's the closest of all Baby Lips shades to a real lipstick. It gives my lips a milky, opaque, pinky-brown-nude color that reminds me of...a real lipstick!

I do have to layer it quite a few times (going back and forth with the stick six or seven times) to get it to look like a real lipstick, but I think it's worth the extra effort. Yummy Plummy has a lot of shine to it and the end result is quite beautiful. I also find this shade to feel a tiny bit more hydrating than some of the other Baby Lips shades I own.

Staying power is the same as all the others--it's not going to last you half the day or anything crazy like that. I think most of you will get a few hours, at most, from this one.

The fragrance and flavor of Yummy Plummy are both very light. I was hoping for a true plum scent and flavor, but this one smells like a softer, more subtle version of the LE shade Twinkle. The scent reminds me of Starburst candies. The flavor is very, very subtle with just the faintest vaguely berry taste to it.

FINAL VERDICT: In my opinion, Yummy Plummy is the closest to a "real lipstick" of all the Baby Lips shades. It delivers a gorgeous pinky-brown-mauvey-nude color to the lips that's milky and surprisingly opaque. I'm willing to bet this is going to be a Your Lips But Better shade for some of you but, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not quite sure if this one will work for deeper skintones. If you have a deeper skintone, I say it's still worth a shot though (just keep your receipt for a return/exchange), because if you use multiple layers, it might be pigmented enough to deliver a nice, nude look. By far, this is my favorite of all nine Baby Lips shades I own. I say grab it while you can and give it a shot. It might just surprise you.

Do you own any limited edition Baby Lips lip balms? If so, what are your favorites?
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. I picked this up a few weeks ago and love it! It's such a gorgeous color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only own one Baby Lips in Quenched, but I haven't been satisfied with it.

    I like the color of Yummy Plummy though. I was also hoping to see a lip swatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I couldn't get it to photograph accurately on my lips, so I didn't want to post pics and have them be deceiving. The swatches on my hand are very accurate in terms of what I see in real life.

      Delete
  3. I love Melon Mania. Yummy Plummy looked too brown on me. I wonder why Maybelline decided to launch these two way after the other LE ones. I'm hoping for a strawberry or raspberry one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah, I can totally see how, depending on your lip pigmentation, this could pull brown. Sorry it wasn't a good fit for you. :(

      Delete
  4. Yummy Plummy was the only 1 of 5 shades in that display left at my Rite Aid a week after it was out. (They're in such high demand here!!) I waited to last Sunday to pick up some with the +UP sale. Ah well, I hope I find the rest elsewhere.

    My lips are medium-pigmented and the first swipe really is subtle so I have to keep building for some color. I personally don't like the milky, opaque color with my skin tone (Asian) and to me it looks like a sheer version of Revlon's lip butter in Gumdrop. But it is definitely different and nothing like the boatload of lip balms I have. =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Yummy Plummy and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty color! Hopefully, it comes to my CVS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I grabbed this one on impulse a few weeks ago. I like it, but I have other lip balms I like better so I don't reach for it often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G! I just picked up Twinkle at my local walmart today! I also saw Melon Mania on sale. They weren't in the two packs and I don't think it said on the packaging that it's LE so maybe it's here to stay :) Plus, I only paid $2.99 for it which is a great deal in my opinion :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh...this looks like a MLBB shade for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Baby LIps. I already have Cherry Me and Pink Punch. I was also beginning to lose hope in finding the LE shades but I visited a walmart while visiting my brother in a another town and I found a almost empty display. I got Melon Mania and I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope I can find this one, it might actually show up on me, as MLBB if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Target always has these. I haven't picked any of the new ones up though. I've got 3 at home, and ever time I'm about to buy one I spot other things I want more...

    After this review I'm gonna get yummy plummy though. That's the one I'm always eyeing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got this today and love it so far- very mlbb!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig