Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 21, 2013

Review: L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer

I purchased this new concealer from L'Oreal back in the beginning of January, when I first spotted it at Rite Aid, and I have to tell you right up front that I love this product more and more every time I use it. Would you like to know why? Keep reading!

 L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer in Fair/Light N1-2-3
(retail: $8.95, 0.1 oz)

Keep reading for my full review...



This concealer comes in the form of a chubby, twist-up pencil, exactly like the recent parade of jumbo lip pencils that have taken the drugstores by storm lately. I'm actually pretty shocked that other drugstore brands haven't jumped on this delivery method yet, because when it to comes to precise application or spot concealing, a jumbo pencil is IDEAL, allowing for very little waste. You literally put it exactly where you want it, blend and go. Plus, you know I love the no-sharpening-needed aspect too.


The small counter display that I found at my local Rite Aid didn't really have a large color selection (in fact, there are only six shades total in this range), so I picked one of the shades that had less yellow to it (I'm a MAC NC20 and I prefer a peach-toned concealer for under my eyes, because yellow concealers can turn my skin very gray-looking). As you can see, the shade Fair/Light N1-2-3 still has quite a bit of yellow to it, but I've actually been able to make this  baby work for me!


Here's my bare skin (moisturizer only) and I've circled the problem areas of my face that need spot concealing:


 I've got old acne scars on my forehead, dark circles under my eyes and broken capillaries on my cheek. Here's the exact same photo:


And here's my face after spot-concealing with L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer:


Pretty good, right? This pencil does a very nice job of concealing all three of my issues. Of course broken capillaries are the hardest to conceal and you can still see them peeking out a tiny bit, but I think my under-eye darkness is greatly diminished (without looking gray!) and the old acne scars are pretty much gone (concealed).

I find that using concealer on my bare skin (after moisturizer but before foundation) works best for me. I like to spot conceal right after I apply my moisturizer, and then apply my foundation to even things out, followed by setting powder.

Texture and consistency: L'Oreal isn't lying when they say this is "super blendable." Using just my fingers, I'm able to blend this product perfectly into my skin with no tugging or pulling. This is a creamy concealer, but it's not greasy, so it never feels like it's just sitting on top of the skin. This concealer actually feels like it becomes one with the skin--that's the best way I can describe it. 

Pigmentation: Every time I use a creamy, easily blendable concealer, my biggest fear is that, the more I work it into my skin, the less actual concealing it will do. Well you don't have to worry about that with this product. Yes, it's creamy, but it's also highly pigmented, even after you've blended it onto your skin. In fact, I find that the shade I purchased doubles nicely as a contour (highlight) pencil. I've tried running it down the bridge of my nose (and then lightly blending) to make the bridge of my nose appear a bit more slim and it works great for that.

Staying power: As if all of the other things about this concealer weren't enough, this product stays put like a champ on my oily skin. In fact, there have been a few times when, at the end of a busy day, I was SURE that  the darkness under my eyes would be visible when I looked in the mirror. But no, it wasn't! In terms of staying power, I can honestly tell you that I haven't been let down once by this product, even after eight, nine, ten hours of wear.

FINAL VERDICT: I absolutely love everything about this concealer, from the packaging to the blendability to the creaminess to the pigmentation to the staying power. It honestly gets an A+ for all of those things, but I do have a few things I want to warn you about. First of all, if you usually apply your concealer AFTER your foundation, you should know that if you use an oil-control/mattifying foundation, this pencil is not going to feel as creamy and you might have some issues with it setting prematurely and becoming impossible to blend. I did this a few times and I had to remove my makeup and start again. So I would suggest only applying it over emollient foundations (definitely not over powder). Otherwise, apply it right after your moisturizer (before you foundation) and you shouldn't have any problems at all. Also, if you tend to go for peach-toned concealers, you might have a problem finding a good color match in this range, but I would certainly still try a shade or two (just keep your receipt in case you can't find a shade that works for you). This is a very forgiving concealer and even if you have to venture a little out of your comfort zone in terms of shade selection, you might just be able to get it to work for you (I did!). Other than that, this one is an absolutely love-match for me, and I've already purchased a back-up.

Have you tried L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable Crayon Concealer yet? Thoughts?
SHARE:

31 comments

  1. Thank you SO much for this review! I bought L'Oreal True Mach Super-Blendable Makeup recently, and loved it. I wanted to buy the Crayon Concealer since the line has a matching shade to the foundation, but I haven't found any extensive reviews on it until now. I'm definitely getting it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this concealer!!! It makes outlining my lips with concealer if I smudge my red lipstick sooo easy and it blends like a dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I was just saying this A.M. that my current concealer just isn't doing the job. Thanks for the review. Looks promising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those cover much more than I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm to pale and cool toned for this to be of any use to me. I really wish they'd consider adding to the color selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I hope that if the product does well, they'll expand the line. I'd love to try it, but as it stands there's no match for me.

      Delete
    2. Same here - I really need a true N1 or W1 depending on where I'm putting it, and if it's dark enough to match a range from N1-N3, it's going to be too dark for me.

      Delete
    3. I am a W1 and it blends nicely into my skin without any problems :)

      Delete
  6. Wow it worked well for you.. I can see the difference. I've seen great reviews on this all week. As much as I love concealers, debating if I need to go pick this up. I been wanting the new NARS creamy concealer. So expensive though. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally switched FROM the NARS concealer TO this one. I've used NARS for 3 years, and recently couldn't afford to buy a new one. I choose this one because I use the corresponding foundation already, and dear LORD IT REALLY IS AMAZING. I have sever dark spots under my eyes, and this puppy perfectly conceals them, no creasing, no budging, and I have crazy oily skin.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for your review. I had a coupon for this, but could not find it in my local drugstore. I am maybe lighter than you, so I'm not sure about the match, but the coverage looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the texture of this concealer, but I am also around NC20 and I wasn't happy with the shade selection. I purchased N1-2-3 and N4-5, and I have to mix them to get a good match - which sort of defeat the purpose of something so easy to use, for me. So I haven't really been using it. I would absolutely buy a N3 shade one if they released one, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried using this and couldn't get it to work for me. They looked nice at first and I liked it. Then it started creasing and caking. Then not even 4 hours later it was almost gone. I've since tucked mine away in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I have a similar skin type, tone, and issues and this sounds great! Love this type of packaging too. I wonder if it works ok on active blemishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have redness, icepick scars and active blemishes and this concealer has been working really well for me. The crayon is nice because it can really get into deeper scars and conceal discoloration. I have been using it for two weeks and it has not broken me out!

      Delete
  11. Even if you are not interested in a new concealer.. these are excellent for contouring. It depends upon your skin tone of course, but I can use both the lightest and darkest shades for highlight/contour and they give a very natural result. Extra convienient for small areas like inner corner and browbone on eyes, or contouring the nose. I also find the lighter color very helpful in disguising the shadow under my eyes, you can get right in the correct area without the need for a brush.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome review. I have a lot of acne scars and it seemed to cover yours up really well. I'm totally going to have to go buy this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this! I get the occaisonal bad blemish that needs a good concealer... I'm also going to be getting some of those awesome new Milani eye-liners!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How'd it do in terms of under eye creasing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. How'd it do in terms of under eye creasing?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I think I'll have to try this out! It looks great and I'm so glad that there are yellow shades because I feel like drugstore is always pink!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll be honest, I didn't have much home for this concealer since the idea of a "crayon" doesn't sound like it would be a good concealer but I think I mat give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of my local CVS have this product with empty spaces labelled C1-2-3 and C4-5, so maybe they will be coming out with new colors for more cool-toned folk.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll keep my eye out for this one. My favorite concealer has become far to peach for me and im on the hunt again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been so curious about these and they sound awesome! Unless the broaden the shade range I won't be able to use it, though. I'm very fair and very cool-toned. It seems odd that while their foundations cover a wide range of shades, the concealers are so limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Second this - I'm an NW15 if that, maybe NW10 is more accurate, and even the N1-2-3 is going to be too dark and too yellow for me. I'm still in search of a concealer that works for me, but this isn't it. I may bite the bullet and try NARS new one.

      Delete
  21. Looks great, I'll have to pick this one up! I've got several broken capillary spots that are very stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought this in the light neutral shade a few days ago, after seeing your review-- I have to agree, it's amazing! It works just as well as you said-- nice creamy texture, blends easily, covers really well, and it didn't fade or rub off at all, even after a long work day. Especially amazing since my skin is pretty oily. I think I have a new favorite... thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bought this a few weeks ago, I use it everyday, I could even just apply only this after moisturizing and go on with my day, with all the blemishes I have flawlessly and naturally covered, I find this to be the best for my blemishes! For undereyes, I'm not sure sure about, it isn't very moisturizing in that area, so I don't like to use it there. I've been using the NYX eye primer in skin tone for concealing under my eyes in a pinch, it works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I use the darkest shade as a contour. Love that

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig