Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 19, 2012

Swatches: NYC Rush Hour Red and Mint Breeze

I want to apologize if you're not a nail polish fan, because I know my posts have been very polish-heavy this week. But since there's that 40% off Revlon and NYC sale going on at Rite Aid (through 7/21) and then the big Sinful Colors $0.99 sale starting 7/22 at Walgreens, I'm trying to post as many swatches as I can of new Revlon, NYC and Sinful Colors polishes to help some of you who might be wanting to take advantage of these deals while they're available.

That said, I took advantage of the NYC 40% off sale at Rite Aid yesterday and purchased two of the  Expert Last Nail Polishes from the limited edition Color Rush! collection. You can click here to see the full display. By the way, I want to make it clear that you CANNOT use the $0.50 off coupons found on this display during the 40% off sale at Rite Aid this week. That's because the retail price of these polishes drops from $2.49 to $1.52 after the 40% off deduction, and these coupons are only good for products that retail for $1.72 or higher. So...save those coupons for next week if you want to use them!

Just a reminder that there's ANOTHER limited edition NYC collection floating around called Summer In The City which contains my favorite peach polish of all time (I honestly have never owned a peach polish this stunning). So get out there and try to find these if you're wanting to take advantage of the 40% off sale this week!

 NYC Limited Edition Expert Wear Nail Polishes in Rush Hour Red and Mint Breeze
(retail: $2.49 each at Rite Aid)


This is my second round of polishes from the LE Expert Last line (click here to see the colors I bought from the previous limited edition collection), but I realize that some of you may have never tried these before so I thought I'd show you what the brushes look like. They're a little shorter than a standard Revlon brush, and they're flatter as well (but nowhere near as flat, stiff or wide as a Sally Hansen Insta Dri brush). I love these brushes and find them very easy to use.


I applied two coats of polish and NO top coat for all of the following swatches. Both polishes were nice and shiny without the help of a top coat so I wanted to be sure you could see that:


Rush Hour Red is a beautiful tomato-red jelly. After two coats, you can still see visible nail line in these swatches, but I didn't want to apply three coats and take a way from the beautiful jelly-ness. I had to color-correct these photos a bit (which is why my skin looks so weird) but they were photographing WAY too orange. In real life, this color has a touch more red to it and it in no way looks like Sinful Colors Citrine, in case you were wondering. This is a true tomato-red.

Application was a breeze with this one--the formula is perfect and flows onto the nail effortlessly. Oh! And I took Rush Hour Red to the NYC core display to see if there was an existing core shade that came close to this. I can now confirm that there is NOT a regular NYC shade that resembles Rush Hour Red.



Next up, Mint Breeze:


Mint Breeze required no color-correcting at all. It photographs exactly as I see it in real life. Yay! I'm a sucker for a good teal creme, and this one is lovely. Not streaky at all after two coats, although the formula is a tad bit thicker than Rush Hour Red. But it's not goopy or unmanageable by any means.

The closest dupe I can think of for this one is Milani Fresh Teal, but I think Fresh Teal might be a TAD more blue and maybe a touch darker (I'll have to find my bottle to compare to be sure though). I took Mint Breeze around the drugstore with me looking for a dupe, but I couldn't find one in any of the other brands' core wall displays. So again, I think Milani Fresh Teal is your best best for a look-alike...at the drugstore at least.

And by the way, NYC does not have a teal creme like this in their regular core lines of polishes.




I really love these Expert Last polishes, and I hope that someday NYC takes them out of their "for limited edition collections only" category and brings them to the core line so we can all get them anytime we want.

Do you own any polishes from the limited edition NYC Expert Last Color Rush! collection? If so, what colors do you own? If not, do you plan to pick some up while they're still 40% off at Rite Aid?
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. The mint breeze looks like a great dupe for butter London's Slapper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the swatches! That Teal looks really pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G. - Do you know if these are exclusive to Rite-Aid? Unfortunately, I do not have a RA in my area and I have never seen these LE collections at either one of the two stores (Target & Meijer) that carry NYC in my town. Thanks.

    P.S. I'm a nail polish girl too, so I'm absolutely loving all of your polish posts lately :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was able to use the 0.50 coupon at two of my Rite Aids. It's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the clerk messed up. I bought 4 of the NYC polishes. they rang up at 40% off and that was $1.19 each. He gave me 50 cents off each for my 4 coupons. They had a reward of $1 if you buy 2 polishes...I paid $1.47 for my first 2 polishes, ($2.38 less the 2 50 cent coupons) and .41 for my second 2. (I used my $1 reward off the second 2 polishes). That's like buying one and getting 3 free. Like I said, though- I am guessing he either didn't know not to use the coupon, or they were told to use the coupons based on the beginning $1.99 price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own the white polish from this line. It applies very well and is color saturated. One coat can be gotten away with under neons; two coats is perfection. It dries very fast too, so I wonder if the formula is based on their fast dry line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the teal! I've used these coupons before at Cvs when they had a sale but asked prior to my purchase to make sure I was using it correctly. the clerk told me that since prior to the sale, the retail price met the coupon requirements that it was ok. of course, I hope that that's what the coupon means- I love couponing but believe in honest couponing so if anyone knows official word from NYC as to usage, I'd love to know thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know if any other store other than Rite Aid has the limited edition lines from NYC? My Walgreens doesn't sell it and I never see them at my Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering the same thing. The only 2 places I regularly see NYC makeup is at Target and CVS, but not the LE lines. I really really *really* want that Peach Sparkle polish!

      Delete
    2. Me too! I think it looks beautiful! I hope it pops up somewhere.

      Delete
  9. I bought Mint Breeze and Rush Hour Red yesterday. I have nothing exactly like Mint Breeze, and I own A LOT of mints/greens. I also liked RHR so much, I bought a back up today. I love that it is an orange based red, and not a pink red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man I wish CVS had these LE NYC's! I haven't seen them anywhere and we don't have a rite aid in FL anymore...Thanks for the heads up on the Sinful Color's sale, HOORAY! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually have seen this display at one of my local CVS stores (only one store, though). I thought about buying one of these polishes but I wasn't sure if any of them were unique enough to buy. I'm starting to lose track of which polishes I own, haha. I kinda want that teal, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This may be RANDOM..however this might help someone out there! :) When the Maybelline LEdition POrcelain lipsticks came out and they were eclusive to Rite Aid, you could not find them anywhere. I am GA. When visiting my daughter in Frisco ( suburb outside of Dallas) I walked into her local Walgreens and they carried the entire line. Mind you no Rite Aids where she lives! Of course the display was packed with all colors and YESSS I bought them out. I guess what I am trying to say..if something is exclusive to one store, but you don't have that store in your city...you can almost be sure another drugstore is going to carry it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am soooooooooo happy that you recommended Rush Hour Red! :D I was lucky enough to snag the last bottle from the display (along with the tear-off coupon) and it is a beauty! I really love the NYC Expert Last polishes - great formula, awesome colors, perfect brush. I wish so much that they would make them part of their permanent collection. I think I need to go back and get a few more shades (so far I got Rush Hour Red, Green Means Go, and Downtown Traffic from this display). :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. For those of us denied the coupons at our Rite Aids, I used mine at Meijer today when I picked up Peach Sparkle, and Meijer doubled it. So I got PS for .89 cents! I found the NYC LE Summer in the City display on the back endcap, and I also seen a WnW hanging display where all the polishes have this little football "helmet." WnW's new fast dry color is... white! How awesome is that? I've been waiting soooo long for a cheap fast drying white polish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also used the $0.50 coupon on my bottle of Peach Sparkle (after seeing your review I just HAD to have it!) I'm guessing b/c the regular retail was over $1.72 the coupon was accepted. I think most stores use the regular retail price as the purchase price when dealing w/coupons good for an item of a specific value. So if you see the $0.50 coupons, definitely try using them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wanted to mention that although they are behind and still have the Spring Collection as "New", K-Mart does sell NYC and will probably have the summer collection in a few months if you really love Peach Sparkle. I was just there to check.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had bought a couple of these from the last collection but never used them, mostly because NYC is hit or miss on nail polish for me. So I tried out the lilac last night, OMG! Smooth as buttah! And I love the new brush, so easy. I need to get more of these!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig