Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

For San Diego Readers Only (or those about to visit San Diego)

I don't write many San Diego-centric posts on my blog, but since I live here, sometimes I come across information that's too good to keep to myself. Looking back into my archives, it looks like I've written one "For San Diego Readers Only" post per year (one in 2009, one in 2010 and the last on in 2011). So it looks like this is an annual occurrence (if you'd like to see my past posts, just enter "San Diego" into the search bar and all three will come up). I hope readers located elsewhere don't mind a post like this once a year!

So I've got two tidbits to share with my fellow San Diegans today:

First up, I know I've mentioned many times in the past that I buy a lot of Asian beauty products at Mitsuwa and Marukai Value. But I don't think I've really mentioned that the OTHER Marukai store called Marukai Living (which is located in the same strip mall as the Marukai Value) is AMAZING. Seriously, their Asian beauty department contains about FIVE aisles of makeup, nail polish, haircare, skincare and body care. In fact, this is where I purchased my FIRST Asian BB Cream (Missha Perfect Cover, which I'm currently testing for review) and I only paid $12 for it. Get over there ASAP if you can--you will be a kid in a candy store!

AND, Marukai Living also has a great variety of US beauty products. They have an extensive selection of Badger Balm, Dr. Bronners and Desert Essence products, and right now, they have a counter display full of these for just $3.98:

LA Girl Polka Dot Nail Art Kit
(retail: $3.98 at Marukai Living)

Keep reading for more info!

I've never seen these kits anywhere else here in SD, and they come with three mini bottles of polish AND a double-ended dotting tool! This is my first "real" dotting tool (yay!). By the way, there were other kits that had different shades of polish in the display. I also bought the LA Girl Pro HD Eyeshadow Primer at Marukai Living, which I'm getting ready to review. It was $1.98 there, and I've seen it online for about $3+. Good deal!

Next up: if you follow me on Twitter, you might have noticed that I freaked out a little bit over the news that Camera Ready Cosmetics has RETAIL STORES IN SAN DIEGO! If you're unfamiliar with Camera Ready Cosmetics, take a peek at their website to see the types of brands they sell. They offer pro makeup artist types of brands like Kryolan, Mehron, Ben Nye, etc. and they also carry Sugarpill and OCC!

I discovered that Camera Ready Cosmetics has stores in San Diego because I actually was trying to find locations in San Diego that sell Embryolisse (that popular French drugstore skincare brand I mentioned yesterday). On the Embryolisse website, they listed Camera Ready Cosmetics in El Cajon as a location where you could find their products, and I just about fell out of my chair!

But here's the thing: there's a brand new Camera Ready Cosmetics SHOWROOM store that just opened last month in La Mesa. The CRC website does not list other locations (you can see a pic of the showroom store in La Mesa here), but after googling a bit, I saw references to there being additional stores in Coronado and El Cajon. SO, I don't know if they've actually closed those stores and now only have the La Mesa location, or if the Coronado and El Cajon stores still exist. I would call first, if you want to visit a location other than the new one in La Mesa.

By the way, check out the review of the La Mesa store here. I'm SO bummed I missed their grand opening! I love how the reviewer said that it's like a Sephora but with pro makeup--lots of testers and displays to play with!

That's it for this "locals only" post. I hope it helps my fellow San Diego peeps out a bit, and if you have any other great SD beauty tips, please leave them in the comments!
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. Send me one of those nail kits!!! LOL! I just use a mechanical pencil for my nail dotting designs and I find that it works a lot better than using a tooth pic. I'd love to own a dotting tool someday though. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a meijer, they have the same set w a dotting tool! Similar price also!!

      Delete
  2. mann I wish I lived in SD!
    We h ave a marukai here in san jose too, though not so sure about the makeup aisles. There's like some japanese drugstore makeup but that's it. Oh and there's a Shiseido too LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I know there's a Mitsuwa but never seen a Marukai. I must check that out.

      Delete
  3. So jealous!!! I've been wanting a dotting tool for a while, and how could you go wrong at the price? Too bad I'm across the country in NY. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. gah, too bad Im in San Fran! Wish I could just hop on a plane down there ;) I love CRC, their foundations are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey lady! I saw these at Meijer here in Indiana too! I just took pictures today over lunch to post on my blog tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shop at those stores for groceries all the time because I'm originally from Japan but
    I didn't realize that they had Missha BB cream! I have to check it out next time I'm there. Have you tried Japanese cleansing oil(make up removers)? They are sort of like DHC deep cleansing oil but much cheaper. I highly recommend them:)If you ever need help reading labels, I can translate for you anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seriously just made my day! I'm going to be in so much trouble for buying MORE makeup lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you SO much for this info! I know what I'll be doing this weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found out you can buy the LA Girl sets at various online stores. Cherry Culture is one of them. There are 4 different sets for about $4.00 a piece. Let us know how you like the set. LA Girl ans it's sister LA colors are some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally really like Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream. I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I so wish there was an Asian market in the great Upstate NY! There is a little store that carries a couple of Japanese (?) candies and I think of you everytime I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I have ordered from CRC I've noticed that they send out from Coronado, but Mary Erickson herself told me they were not open to the public, it was just a warehouse of sorts... BUT that was YEARS ago, so I'm glad to hear there is a showroom! ... I live in Encinitas and stop by the KEarny Mesa area for some shopping on my way back from church in the South Bay area, so I def will visit Marukai store!! I had never even heard of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does anyone know of any stores like marukai here in the local bay area? More like san francisco...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to visit these shops! I have purchased online from CRC and they are really great! If I'm ever in San Diego, I know where I'll be shopping! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw the polka dot nail art kits at meijer in west michigan earlier today :) they were $5 each.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as you are doing a foray into Asian BB creams - you should check out the Skin79 BB creams. Holy amazing finish Batman and it gives you a "your skin but better" look which I love LOVE for no makeup days. These are best with a finger application IMO

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had NO IDEA there was such coolness in my backyard! La Mesa is practically next door! WOO HOO! Doing the happy dance in Lemon Grove.... and am going to get my patoot down to Convoy area to check out Marukai Living...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha, how happy are you about that new Walgreens in Lemon Grove?? And right across from the rite aid and CVS? It's almost too good to be true! ;)

      Delete
  18. Thanks so much for pointing out the gems we have in our own backyard! La Mesa is only 10 minutes away from my house -- I am definitely checking out Camera Ready Cosmetics after work tomorrow! And the next time I visit the shops around Convoy St, I'll check out Marukai Living; I've been dying to try one of the Korean BB creams but want to see the colors in person before buying.

    Doing the happy dance in Lemon Grove!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much, G! This is a great help for all us fellow SD-makeup-enthusiasts; I have a bright tangerine polish that would look great done up in spots =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is this place better then zion market skincare shops like amore face shop ect

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig