Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, March 25, 2012

Review: New Suave Scalp Solutions Nourishing Coconut & Shea Butter Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner

Dandruff is something that people don't really like to talk about and, knock on wood, I don't suffer from dandruff myself. So when I received these new dandruff products from Suave recently for review, it was kind of a sensitive topic to address with my family and friends. I wanted to find someone to test these products out for me who actually does have dandruff, so I put out the word. Well, I guess my circle of friends and family are dandruff-free at the moment. I couldn't find anyone to try them, and it was just too awkward to say something like, "Hey, I think I remember your sister had dandruff at one point--think you can give her a call and see if she'd like to try these products for me?"

So I decided to test these products out for myself, even though I don't have dandruff, and you wouldn't believe how truly surprised I was with the results. In fact, I was only going to test them out twice a week for three weeks, but I suddenly found myself reaching for both the shampoo and conditioner after my two-week testing period, and I'm still reaching for these product to this day.

 Suave Scalp Solutions Nourishing Coconut & Shea Butter Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner
 (retail: around $4 each, 14.5 oz)

 


 



The last time I used anti-dandruff shampoo, it was out of desperation. I think it was back in college (which was a long time ago) and  I was at my boyfriend's house. I remember that I forgot my shampoo conditioner, so had to use whatever he had in his shower. All I remember was that the stuff he had was very blue and very chalky, and my hair kind of looked like hay afterward. Well times have changed and let me tell you, these Suave products are NOTHING like my college memories.


As you can see, both products are very opaque. They're nice and thick and creamy and the fragrance is delightful. Both the shampoo and conditioner smell like coconut, but there's something else going on there. There's an additional sweet note, and I pick up a "clean and fresh" note as well. For me, the fragrance is very pleasant and I look forward to smelling it when I'm in the shower.

So let's start with the shampoo. I love how easy it is to work this product into my hair, and I love the rich, thick lather it provides. I find that it rinses very easily, and it leaves my hair feeling clean without any lingering residue. My hair feels clean, but not stripped when I use this shampoo.

The conditioner is really the star of the show for me. I have used many, many Suave conditioners in my life (and loved them) but I honestly have never experienced the instant detangling that I get from this conditioner. I can work it through my hair and within seconds my tangles seem to melt away. But the great thing is that this conditioner isn't so heavy that my hair becomes limp and lifeless after I use it. I've still got lots of body and it seems to enhance my curls as well.

I have been LOVING the look and feel of my hair after I use Suave Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner.  My hair feels soft and hydrated but not overly moisturized, heavy or greasy. My curls also seem to love this stuff, and I haven't had any terrible bouts of frizz either.

FINAL VERDICT: Although I don't suffer from dandruff and cannot comment on how these products would help relieve or remedy that condition, I am LOVING Suave Nourishing Coconut & Shea Butter Anti-Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner for the occasional use as "regular" shampoo and conditioner. This has really been one of those pleasant surprises that leave you kind of stunned. I didn't have any expectations going into it, but I'm so thankful that Suave sent these to me for review. Otherwise, I would have had no reason to buy them for myself, and man I would have really missed out on a goldmine. If anyone you live with suffers from dandruff, you might want to consider picking these products up for them, and then giving them a shot yourself since they'll be in your shower anyway, right? You never know--they could surprise you as well.

If you or anyone you know suffers from dandruff and has tried these products, I would absolutely LOVE to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I'm ALL OVER this! I use Head & Shoulders and it works like a charm for me as far as controlling dandruff and itchiness (yes, yes, embarrassing to admit but I try to remember a significant percentage of us have dandruff). It's drying though but I'm reluctant to switch bc I KNOW it works. I heard P&G also updates the Head & Shoulders formula every now and then to accommodate the resistance that the dandruff-causing fungi builds up. I hope Unilever delivers with the Suave formula. I definitely look forward to trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eldest daughter has been using it since January because in the winter she does suffer from dandruff, my middle daughter does not have dandruff but does have oily hair and while using it has found that her hair is more manageable, less greasy and more shiny. With my middle daughter she also tends to have a smelly, oily scalp (but no actual dandruff) and of course this took care of the oil and so her scalp stopped smelling musty. It's a definitely keeper in my book.

    As for me I'm still using their Keratin shampoo and conditioner - I switched from the normal to color treated one earlier this month - and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been suffering from dandruff for a long time. Head & Shoulders (pyrithione zinc) doesn't seem to work at all for me. The only thing I've found that works for me is Neutrogena T/Gel. I wouldn't mind trying these though-- it sounds like you have a similar hair type to my own so it might work nicely for me even if it doesn't help my dandruff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally gonna head out and buy this...hopefully it works! I swim almost every day and even though I wear a swim cap, water still seeps through plus being out in the sun with that chlorine really dries out my scalp and have been having problems with dandruff since this summer. Head/Shoulders is okay but I think its kind of harsh and dries out my hair so I don't wash with it everyday....thanks for showcasing this product, can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dandruff and been having trouble finding the right shampoo and when I found this at walmart I instally tryed it and it's been doing a good job I really like it and my husband has been using it as well and likes it as well can't wait to get more and the conditioner

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been using these products for a couple weeks and I definitely think it's helped my dandruff. I had a real problem with it along my front hairline and there's definitely been a reduction there. And oh man, the scent is divine! My fella loves it too. He keeps sniffing my hair and burying his face in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great. I would like to try something else besides head&shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dandruff shampoo is actually really great as a kind of clarifying treatment. I use head and shoulders once a week to get rid of all the product in my hair, and it works amazingly. Also, the newer formulas are nothing like hey used to be, they don't dry out my hair at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this review!! I don't suffer from dandruff but my 15 yr-old does every once in a while, especially in winter and her hair is curly and thick so I know that she is going to love these products, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this for the kids, and so far they really like it. My oldest has great hair, just flakes, and so far he really likes it and it does remove the hair gel he uses daily. My middle son is also using it and is prone to using way too much product in the shower, so far, his hair looks great and not weighed down. I used it on my daughter last night and due to a broken wrist, I didn't use the conditioner, but her hair looked great and wasn't tangled. It washed out nicely with her.

    For the price you can't beat it and they all love the scent of it. I really want to try it, but just threw on a fresh color so I will wait for a week before trying.

    G, I will keep an eye on how the kids are doing with this and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg!! I just used these this morning for the 1st time and i love so far.I have been useing a blue one that line carries that is shampoo+conditioner, it smells sooo good and works great! I have always suffered with dandruff so you can imagine my excitement when i found these!
    <3ya;-)(1st time commenter)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have dandrugf but I might try based on your review and my love of everything coconut. I also love the karatin line. It leaves my hair so soft and doesn't weigh it down.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have dandruff and have passed this shampoo up twice now thinking it probably won't work like all the rest of them I've tried. Now I'm intrigued and wik, pick it up the next time I go to the store : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been following your site for a few months and I have never commented until now. I went searching for these shampoo and conditioner for a week. I have a couple of Rite Aids near me and both only had the shampoo but I couldn't buy them without the conditioner. I ended up finding them at A supermarket, Ralphs, of all places. I just tried it tonight and OMG!!! Love love everything about these 2. Thank you for this review!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig