Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, February 7, 2012

China Glaze Shooting Stars vs. Jordana Lunar Lights

When I was going through my glitter polishes the other day (trying to bring some sort of semblance of organization to my ever-expanding stash), I noticed that the new Jordana glitter, Lunar Lights, had the same type of iridescent, chunky hex glitter as China Glaze Shooting Stars. So I thought I'd do a comparison to see just how close they are, and share the results with you, of course!

 Left: Jordana Lunar Lights (retail: $2.99, 0.5 oz)
Right: China Glaze Shooting Stars (retail: $7, 0.5 oz)




In the bottle, these two polishes look NOTHING alike. But here are some side by side swatches:

(For all of the following swatches the Jordana polish is on the left and the China Glaze polish is on the right. All swatches were taken after two coats of each polish and no top coat.)




As you can see, these polishes share two things in common: 1) a clear base and 2) chunky, hexagonal iridescent glitter. Where they differ is in the smaller glitter. The Jordana polish has small, hexagonal iridescent glitter, while the China Glaze polish contains fine holo glitter.

Here are some swatches I did using one coat of each polish over a black creme polish (no top coat):




Bottom line: the Jordana polish is NOT a dupe for China Glaze Shooting Stars, but if your favorite part of Shooting Stars is the large, hexagonal, iridescent glitter, then I think you might enjoy Jordana Lunar Lights since the chunky, hexagonal, iridescent glitter in this polish is more dense and abundant. On the other hand, if you love fine, holo glitter, then Shooting Stars is your best bet.

I hope that helps my fellow glitter lovers out there!

You can purchase Jordana Lunar Lights on the Jordana website and also at Cherry Culture (this shade is NOT part of the 12 colors from this collection that are now available at Kmart). To see what this polish looks like over a white creme polish, please click here.

China Glaze Shooting Stars was part of the glitter collection that came out back in 2009, so it might be a little harder to find in stores, although you can purchase it via various online sellers. I found mine at a local beauty supply about a year ago.

Do you own either of these polishes? What's your favorite of the two?

A sample of the some of the products featured in this post were provided to Nouveau Cheap for a previous review.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. I think that China Glaze Snow Globe would be a closer dupe for Jordana, maybe? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I owned snow globe so I could see, but I think you might be right! :)

      Delete
  2. It reminds me of China Glaze's Snow Globe as well. Also Cherry Culture is doing 20% off of their website through tomorrow and they sell Jordana polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I prefer the cheaper one. The china glaze just has too much going on to appreciate the large pieces, the glitter almost obscures them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those really are similar! That chunky hex glitter is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like Lunar Lights better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the non-layered swatches the Jordana hex glitter has almost a pastel look to it. Do you think if this is layered over a light color creme or even a french the 'pastel' would be visible, or is this all about the iridescence in person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually put a link in this post to my swatches of that shade over white. Check it out if you have a sec. It's really pretty!

      Delete
  7. Great post, thank you - they are so similar, yet distinct. I love comparison posts like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any of these but it looks like I need one of them ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh, I definitely like the Jordana better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey G- I'm in a midst of a full blown nail polish addiction and you are NOT HELPING! LOL!!!! Seriously though...I'm pretty sure my husband hates you and all your pretty polish pictures. I just got in shipments from Julep Maven, Deborah Lippmann, and Zoya and all I can do is beg him to take me to KMart so I can buy some Jordana! Cheap or pricey...I love it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, maybe you can tell him he can pick up some tools or something at KMart and you two can promise to spend the same amount of money. Tools aren't cheap so that means you'll be able to buy tons of new polishes! Lol!! ;)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the comparison. In the end I prefer the Jordana one whereas I owuld probably have perchased the china glaze one. thx !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very different.....now I can justify owning both! Bahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I like the way you think, girlie! ;)

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig