Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, September 9, 2011

When in doubt, throw it out (and other things I learned yesterday)

Warning: the following post has nothing to do with beauty. Please feel free to skip over it, but I hope you'll find it interesting enough to read (and hopefully useful as well).

In case you weren't aware, yesterday a single person in Arizona caused the biggest power outage in the history of San Diego by bringing down the entire energy supply to all of San Diego and parts of Orange County, Imperial County, Baja California and Arizona. All told, over five million people were without power for 12 hours or more, including ALL of San Diego (1.4 million people).

Some of you might say, "Twelve hours? Ah, that's nothing!" But let me tell you, the scary part is knowing that EVERYONE in your entire city and outlying areas has lost power. There's no place where you can drive with the gas in your tank to find relief. There are no gas stations to fill up your tank once you hit empty...it's sort of a helpless and desperate situation.

I was sitting in my living room when it happened at about 3:30PM yesterday. I had just gotten off the phone, and was literally on my way to plug my phone into the charger (I was down to my last bar). So the first thing I thought was, "I'll just hop in my car and drive a few miles to a CVS or Rite Aid outside of the blackout zone, take a look around at the new products and escape the heat!". At this point I had no idea how far the blackout area extended.

So I grabbed my keys and got in the car. BIG MISTAKE. I live in a pretty urban area with lots of traffic, so the first thing I encountered was terrible, backed-up-traffic-for-miles at every intersection. With the power down and no traffic lights working, all intersections turn into a four-way-stop. It takes forever to cross an intersection two cars at a time.

What would normally take me a few minutes ended up taking over an hour, only to discover that everyone's power was out. The streets were lined with people wandering out of retail shops, not quite knowing what to do. It was HOT yesterday (almost 100 where I live) so, block after block, I saw businesses with their doors open, only to reveal pitch-black stores inside.

Running low on gas, and still not knowing the true extent of the power outage, I kept driving hoping to find a gas station that was open. Obviously that never happened.

After a while, I headed home to see lots of my neighbors gathered in the courtyard. We all shared stories and it was then I learned the true extent of the outage. Rumors swirled about this being "part of a terrorist plot to destroy Southern California" (it wasn't), and other rumors swirled around that since the MAIN power lines to Southern California were essentially cut, it could take days, if not weeks to get us back on the grid.

When a potential emergency situation hits, your mind instantly goes into survival mode. Some of the questions that immediately hit me were:

Do I have enough water on hand to survive this?
How can I charge my phone?
What non-perishable food do I have in the kitchen?
How do I get a hold of my family?
How do I get gas for my car?

The main reason I'm writing this post (other than to share the experience), is to HELP better prepare YOU in the event of an emergency. I don't want anyone reading this to experience the scary feeling I felt yesterday when I realized I might not have enough water to get me through even two days, and barely enough food.

When my boyfriend, Mr. G, got home (about three hours after the power went out), I had already done most of my freaking out and was in full-blown planning mode. He thought I was being dramatic (ok, maybe I was), but I basically just screamed, "WE NEED MORE WATER". Sure, I have a Pur Water Filter on my kitchen tap, but if things get bad, that filter won't filter out everything, and you'll be instructed to boil your water before it's safe to drink. Well, if you don't have a gas range, how do you plan to boil your water without electricity?

Living in an earthquake state, I always keep a gallon of water on hand (everybody does), but I hadn't checked the expiration date on my emergency water in quite a while. The bad news: it expired a year ago. Uh oh. Eventually we found a local liquor store that was open for business. The employees had flashlights and guided us around the store, and of course we had to pay in cash because you can't take credit cards without power (unless you have one of those old-school manual credit card machines, which not a lot of people have these days).

The store itself was hilarious: it was filled with lots of guys who were buying beer and preparing for a long night of partying on their front porches. Then there were desperate people like me, who knew we had to get as much water as possible. And then of course there was Mr. G, who instinctively grabbed the oh-so-essential bag of Doritos. Seriously? I'm grabbing water and loaves of bread and batteries and he grabs...Doritos. (The funny part is that I probably finished most of that bag later that evening with my nervous binging).

When all was said and done, we were able to drive over to my parents' house to check on them (they were absolutely fine and laughing at my panic-mode), make calls to other family members in San Diego, and get home safe and wait it out in the heat. Ugh. The heat was ridiculous and it was impossible to sleep, which is why I'm pretty much delirious at this point.

The power went back on somewhere between 2 and 3am this morning, while I was actually reading a book aloud to Mr. G via candelight. Kind of romantic and fun, actually.

So anyway, here's what I learned, and what I'd like to pass on to you:

No one is immune to these types of emergencies. With earthquakes on the East Coast and flooding in areas that usually don't flood, any one of us can get hit with something, at any time.

So number one: don't think you're immune to emergency situations.

2. Buy an old-school telephone and keep it in the closet. I'm talking about an OLD SCHOOL phone that doesn't require a power source. The kind that you only need to plug into your phone jack to use. Because when the power goes out and your cell phone dies and you can't charge your phone in your car, an old school phone will still work. The phone company works on a different type of power source with a back-up generator, so spend the $10 on an old-style (non-cordless) phone and keep it on hand.

3. If you can afford to do so, keep a $20 bill (or more) in your purse at all times. The corner market might be open when an emergency strikes, but chances are they'll only take cash. So you better have some already in your wallet because you won't have access to ATMs when the power's down.

4. Think of how you'd boil water in the event of an emergency. If you have a stove that operates on electricity rather than gas, you won't be able to use it. So what do you do then? Do you have a barbeque or grill? If so, do you have enough charcoal or propane on hand to power it for a while? Is there a place to start a fire near you, like a fire ring or shared bbq? When push comes to shove, you really need to have that essential part of the equation figured out.

5. Do as I say and not as I do: NEVER EVER EVER DRIVE HOME AND PARK YOUR CAR WITH LESS THAN A QUARTER TANK OF GAS.  Please, don't be stupid like me. When you're running low on gas, make it a point to fill up BEFORE you drive home (not the next morning). If an emergency hits and you need to drive to a family member, etc., don't be stuck like I was, with no way of filling my tank and totally dependent on others to get me to my family.

6. Keep a small, battery-operated radio on hand at all times. Don't rely on a boombox when the power fails, because those things are battery zappers. Get a tiny radio for 10 bucks and keep fresh batteries on hand. Two double-A batteries kept my little radio running all night long and it was my ONLY link to the outside world. For a while, ALL of the radio stations in San Diego were without power except for ONE, and everyone was listening to that station for information and updates. I'm telling you, if your phone dies and you can't charge it, the radio will be your only link to what's going on (including VITAL information like if you need to boil your water before you can drink it), so please don't dismiss this.

7. For goodness' sake, make sure you own a hand-held can opener. Mr. G and I actually had plans to go grocery shopping LAST NIGHT, before the power went out. We were almost completely out of food, with only canned foods on hand. And guess what? I only own an electric can opener. Well, that's going to change today, that's for sure. We could have eaten beans last night instead of Doritos, which obviously would have been more nutritious.

There are lots more things you can do to be prepared when an emergency strikes, but those are the seven essential things I learned last night.

Today, everyone's power has been restored and it's business as usual (unless you're a student, in which case you have a free day because all schools and universities in San Diego are closed for the day). Yesterday will always be remembered as the day San Diego lost all power, and it will be a reminder for me personally to always plan ahead. I hope you'll do the same, no matter where you live.

PS: If your power's been out for more than four hours, chances are most of the food in your fridge (aside from vinegar-based condiments) will need to be thrown out. Remember: when it doubt, throw it out. Experts are telling us that most foods in the freezer should be fine, but the fridge? Better to be safe than sorry: chuck it.

If you live in San Diego, I'd love to hear how you survived The Great Power Outage of 2011. Did you take time to get to know your neighbors a little bit better? (I did, and it's sad that it took a power outage to do so.) Did you sit outside and look up at the beautiful moon and stars? The sky was so clear with no city lights to interfere with stargazing--it was a lovely night to be outside, that's for sure.
SHARE:

32 comments

  1. Yep, we have all those things on hand. We get wicked ice storms about once every five or so years. The last one that hit (2008?) knocked our power out for 5 days straight. Not so fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even think about having enough water. I was more concerned over the heat. And finding candles for when it got dark. Yes we should be prepared and i need to get something together after we live in an earthquake zone. I was happy when the power was restored around 10 pm for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted my experience trying to buy food and water at Albertson's (they had a generator). People were crazy there! It was a little frightening. I will definitely be making sure that I always have some emergency supplies on hand from now on. People really weren't prepared for this kind of emergency and we all should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have a gas stove made in the past ten years, it has electrical components and still won't work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all really great advice. My family had to endure 5 days without power back in April after that horrible, horrible day of tornadoes, and everything you've said here is exactly what we learned from that. I have a couple points to add though. I'd really recommend getting a hand-crank radio rather than a battery-operated radio. There are emergency hand-crank radios on Amazon for under $30 bucks that also function as a weather radio, a flashlight, and a USB charger. Also, when the power's out for an extended period of time, be sure to shut off your circuit breakers. This will prevent any surges from damaging your electronics when power's restored, and it'll also reduce strain on the system so that it doesn't immediately fail again. Do keep a breaker on for a low-demand item, like a table lamp, so you know when power's back on, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One point: The nuclear plant's failsafes kicked in like they are supposed to, even though this wasn't a huge emergency. Always a good thing.

    1. Learn how to use solar energy. Creating your own small appliances with solar panels isn't that hard. You can even make a cell phone charger! http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-solar-iPodiPhone-charger-aka-Might/

    2. Being solar as a household, too, means that when everyone else's power goes out, you still have power coming into your home. Lots of electric companies offer incentives for going solar, and while it's a big up front expense, it pays off in the long run with tax breaks and very cheap electric bills.

    3. A single gallon of water is nothing. You need to keep at least a 3 day supply on hand for each person in your household - that's 1 gallon, minimum, per person per day. If there's just the two of you, that's 6 gallons. If it's hot, you'll need to double the water. This doesn't take into account water for your pets. This should be replaced every six months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! One other thing I forgot to mention - we keep a calendar on our pantry door and mark all the dates when parts of our emergency water and food supply expire, so we have advance notice on when those need to be replaced. It started as a joke "Zombie Apocalypse Kit" but has evolved into a real emergency kit with dehydrated/dried food, MREs, water tablets, etc. A calendar will save you the sudden "Oh crap everything is expired!" panic later. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still had a full tank of gas, so I locked up my apartment and bailed to Los Angeles to spend the weekend with my older sister. I didn't have much in the fridge, so I just turned all my appliances off and tidied up before leaving. It was very unnerving though, driving most of the way back to LA and noticing how dark the cities were. I usually depend on visible landmarks as indicaters of how far along the trip I am, but nothing was recognizable! But all in all, I'm glad the power's back and that all San Diegans are okay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luckily, living is south-eastern VA we're fairly prepared for hurricanes. With Isabel (9/2003) we went 5.5 days with no power. I drove around with the laptop and cell phone plugged into the inverter. Gah!

    More recently we were without power for 1.5 days with Irene. We gassed up all three cars and all the gas cans for the generator. We have a gas water so showering and washing dishes was fine. And while driving around during the storm (yeah, we're dumb*****) we charged our phones in the truck and mooched off Panera Bread's free wifi...only 1.5 miles away and THEY HAD POWER?

    Anyway, good advice, Miss G, all around. It might seem silly to keep a flat of bottled water and cans of tuna (along with pilfered mayo packets from Chic-Fil-A) at all times but you never know when it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt like yesterday was so unreal. Had plans that got completely interfered. My boyfriend was one who was driving on E and he stopped at a gas station & obviously they were closed! If it wasn't for me picking him up he would have been stranded for hours. The bad thing was I was also on a quarter tank. It was a crazy experience. My boyfriends family owned a generator so they ended up powering the refrigerator and the television (lol) It seemed like they were more concerned with the football game. Our power came back on roughly about 12:30 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work on the Sunrise Powerlink so it was really ironic to spend all day watching them build a powerline only to come home to an outage. Also, as much as people hate Sunrise, this exact reason is why they are building another line. We have one line that supplies ALL the power. When that goes out we are all screwed.

    Anyways, I spent the night with my neighbors drinking. It was fun going to work with a hangover. I ended up putting water in the freezer knowing it would say colder longer than the fridge. I also realize that I need to keep snacks on hand for situations like this. All my food has to be prepared. Luckily I have my phone charger for the car so I was able to keep my phone working and get updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. TIP: when Irene hit, we had no power for four days. we had an inverter (converts ac/dc) from home depot, about 75$. you can hook it up to your car and it has normal plugs for charging all kinds of things.

    glad youre OK (=

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so weird... i was just thinking about if we had enough water yesterday, and thinking of flashlights and stuff. and i come online today and read this post. freaky.. i should totally prepare. thanks G!

    ReplyDelete
  14. in Louisiana, we have this all the time, it's an absolute frenzy to get any and all emergency supplies. it's SO IMPORTANT to be ready! some people in south louisiana, including me, didn't have power for 2 weeks to a month. every hurricane season the power will go out for at least a few days. it's shocking to see how some people know nothing about what to do without power. PS even if gas stations can operate, they will run out of gas if there's ANY evacuation whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is GREAT advice! Even if you think it's off-topic, it really isn't. This blog isn't just about beauty but also little stories of your life - that's why we love it! And it never hurts to steer people in the right direction.

    Sedge said it earlier...I can't remember which one, but some governmental agency released a "What to Do During a Zombie Apocalypse" briefing a year or two ago. It was a hilarious way to get disaster preparedness out there.

    Your experience, coupled with a recent viewing of "After the Apocalypse" on the History channel leaves me making a list of stuff to get...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I live in NY, and we lost power for a week when Hurricane Irene hit last week. My fiance and I were TOTALLY unprepared; no candles, no water, no batteries, nothing. Luckily, my parents live about an hour away and we were able to stay with them (their town wasn't hit as bad as mine was, and all they lost was cable). The first night after we lost power, we had to leave our car running and charge our phones via an alternator hooked up to our phone chargers...it was a NIGHTMARE. Now, we are slowly building up our stockpiles of emergency supplies (can't do it all at once, unfortunately, because we can't afford it). This article would have been very helpful two weeks ago, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hurricane Irene knocked out our power for 3 days of sweltering heat. 3 days may seem like no big deal but it really wasn't any fun at all. Phones were charged in the car. Gas tanks were filled the night before the storm hit. Food was cooked on a gas grill, including boiled water for the french press. Perishable items were kept on ice in coolers. And yummy scented candles were on hand for light. Two 5 gallon bottles of water were filled for cooking and drinking, along with bottled water. Because we were prepared, we had bags of ice in a deep freezer ready to go for the coolers if the power was out for longer than 4 hours which ultimately did happen.

    Despite our preparedness, my husband and I will never do that again with 3 kids, we are getting a generator. We are sure it will be worth every penny. :) One thing we didn't have was a battery powered radio. We relied on our cell phones for information. But We will be getting a radio soon.

    It is super important to be prepared for the unexpected. Always have a plan. Fire escape route, candles, batteries, non-perishable canned food items. Keep all your important papers in a fire safe, water proof filing cabinet or box. You really just never know.

    Recent events in NY, PA and VA with the flash flooding also reminds us that the unexpected can and does occur.

    Be prepared, have a plan and be safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post and so important.

    I live in an area that gets hurricanes with fair frequency so having emergency supplies on-hand at all times is second nature to me.

    I'd add a few things to your list:

    1. Make sure you have a flashlight and batteries! Or a battery-powered lantern.

    2. Keep your cell phones charged at all times.

    3. Keep your car fully fueled as much as you can afford to.

    4. Make sure your prescription medicines (and any for pets and kids) are up to date and filled and that you have enough on hand for a week.

    5. Keep some non-perishable food on hand at all times. (I call this "emergency junkfood!" -- hey, Twinkies are non-perishable!)

    6. Keep important documents in a fire and water proof safe. Keep some cash in there as well. Keeping everything in ONE place is helpful in case you need to bug out of there in a hurry.

    7. Most of all, don't think it can't happen to you. Plan ahead, think about your options and have a plan, especially one that involves any pets you have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This reminds me of when Hurricane Ike hit Texas. I live in Houston, and the following days and weeks where random areas were without power (for weeks afterwards in some places), grocery stores ran low on EVERYTHING, gas prices skyrocketed, and most businesses not being able to open were stressful and isolating. Luckily my family was only without power for a couple of days, but it was an experience for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm in SD county as well. I typically leave my work in Mira Mesa at 4 to pick up my kiddo, so I left right when the power went out. The freeway was a mess, particularly in the South Bay (I live in Chula Vista). People were driving on the shoulder after a fire truck had just gone by with their lights and sirens on! It took me almost 2 hours to get my daughter at the sitter's house, but thankfully I have been through this before in different circumstances. I grew up in the San Bernardino mtns where the power often goes out for a few days at a time during bad storms in the winter. Only this time we couldn't put our food out in the snow and it was 90! I opened the fridge once to grab some water bottles. My daughter and I had ice cream for dinner as a treat and then lit candles at dusk. I just didn't like that I couldn't get a hold of my husband, who works at the airport. They made him stay there (in the dark) because a flight was coming in with human tissue. Can you believe our airport doesn't have backup generators?!?

    I'm glad it didn't last longer than it did because I was concerned with ...criminal activity. Thankfully the whole situation seemed to bring people together as we didn't have access to our typical daily distractions. We had plenty of water & we happen to have a gas stove and small charcoal grill as well, so we were set. 91X and KGB 101.5 were both on, as was AM 600 apparently. I heard awesome news coverage on 101.5. I definitely want an old fashion CORD phone though, ASAP. Cell phones were practically useless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome, thank you for sharing! Planning for an emergency is one of those things that just doesn't happen until you're right in the middle of it and it's too late. Two days before hurricane Irene was scheduled to hit DC, I realized my boyfriend and I had absolutely nothing. No flashlights, water, batteries, nothing. I went into panic mode too and as luck would have it, there were no flashlights left in the entire metropolitan area. Luckily, we managed to get through it losing power for only 15 minutes. Others weren't so lucky.

    So yes! Prepare prepare prepare. I'm going to run out and get that flashlight now. =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Living up wind from a chemical depot and down wind from a nuclear plant I can tell you that regardless of how prepared you think you are you're not.

    Most people will tell you to keep water and food for at least three days. Remember Hurricane Katerina? Most people weren't rescued for almost a week. Worst is when your stuff is underwater.

    I would recommend to people to have enough food and water PER PERSON for up to a week. Buy dehydrated food as well as canned food since dehydrated food takes less space and lasts a bit longer just make sure you keep it in a waterproof and air proof container (love my vacuum sealing machine).

    Buy DISTILLED water (typically around 50 to 75 cents per gallon) to use for other things.

    Have things like waterproof matches, flares, reflective tape along with First Aid kit on hand in a WATERPROOF BAG that's been sealed with duct tape.

    Also have on hand a walkie-talkie plus rechargeable batteries. There ARE solar powered rechargers so get one for those batteries.

    I also recommend having in your kit: baby wipes, packages of underwear and socks for each member of your household along with extra canned pet food if you have pets.

    Keep in your emergency kit at least $20 in cash PER PERSON in your family. If you're a family of four then keep at least $80 in that kit. Keep it in SMALL bills ($1s and $5s) when possible.

    Oh and also important... keep in your kit a list of names, phone numbers, addresses AND EMAIL addresses of friends and family. If the phones don't work try sending text messages or emails.

    I remember how after Hurricane Katerina many families were split and didn't know the whereabouts of loved ones for days and weeks because they had no way to communicate.

    Each of my children have an email address which I've added the names, phone numbers, addresses and email addresses to family and friends across the country. My older children have their own normal email addresses but they also have these "special" ones. They don't use those accounts except for an emergency so the accounts aren't littered with spam and emails from friends. Even if you or your children don't have access to a computer right away once you do have access to one or to a cellphone you can send a message to let your family know you're okay and where you're located at.

    Hope my tips help. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is important to always be prepared to lose power, due to whatever reason, for at least 3 days to a week. Having batteries, candles, potable water, non-perishables, an old plug-it-into-the-wall phone and such are always very important. If you live in a hurricane-prone area, a propane or diesel-powered generator is something to look into. You never know what might cause a loss of power, or how long it will last.

    It is also important, however, to keep things in perspective. After Hurricane Andrew hit when I was in high school, my family and I, most of our entire county, discovered what it felt like to live without power for 6-8 weeks. Perspective is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you or a family member (or your pet!) have a shelf-stable prescription medicine you take regularly, make sure you have enough of a backup supply to last several weeks! Even if pharmacies are open, if shipments can't get in then stock won't be replenished and you could run out.

    Having had a tornado, hurricane *and* earthquake where I live so far this year, I keep a three-month backup supply of my heart medicine just to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I live in San Diego (North, on the Coast) so I was in this mess. We were out of power for about 7 hours (3:45pm-10:30pm). We have a cabinet filled with what we call "Earthquake food", which includes canned foods: Campbells soup, Chef Boyarde, granola bars, boxed juices, bottled water, etc. you name it (aka non perishable foods) its in there! always enough to last 2 weeks. I been through this before living in Hawaii (similar situation with the power outage a couple years ago). Thats when I had to prepare us when it happens again. This time, we went out to watch the sunset on the coast, once it got dark, went home. We have alot of candles, so we lit them all over the kitchen and living room, we grilled chicken for dinner (charcoal and grill in our back yard, after dinner we played Scrabble and sipped wine, it doesnt get too hot here since we live on the Coast so the breeze was amazing. When it was time for bed the lights came back on. I wasnt in panic mode since I been through it before, my advice is now you know how it is, reality just make sure you prepare yourself for next time so you dont panic. A positive attitude helps you get through what could be the worse. Good list you got there with your tips! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for posting this. It made me realize that I need to prepare for this winter in case we get any ice storms. I'm making my list right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. A recent gas *oven* won't work when the power is out, but the range part should be fine, as long as it's controlled by dials. You'd just turn on the gas and hold a lit match to it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm bookmarking this post. So many great ideas here. We lost power for 25 hours. We have a new fridge and none of the food went bad.

    During Hurricane Irene I realize how rusty our emergency skills get over time when everything has been normal for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in norcal so i didn't get hit by the outage nor did i hear about it until i had a semi panicky cellphone call from my mom telling me my dad still hasn't gotten home after 2 hours (and he took train not driving), and apparently she couldn't get through to him. Turned out I was able to call him no problem and he was just stuck on the train since it won't run. I'm guessing the phone line or hub that routes her cellphone calls is down or something so it wouldn't route her? Though she was able to call me fine, and i was able to call my dad fine...

    but yeah, that was sort of creepy since I honestly didn't know about it until she called. And just before she told me about how in china there was a train system crash/down and all trains were stopped so everyone was waiting, and then one of the train DIDN'T stop and kept running and crashed into a stopped train, causing multiple deaths. And i started freaking out (even though we're in US and not China and we don't have AS faulty of train/public transportation system) that my dad would be waiting on the train and then the train get smushed -_-;;;

    in any case, i like your list, and even though i'm in earthquake zone too, i don't have any emergency ration. i probably should...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeah, we were totally unprepared. We were down to 3 500ml bottles of water, my cellphone battery was at 15% charge because I work in a old building in Clairemont that drains my cell battery because of the thick walls, and the only radio we had took 6 'D' batteries. I did get an apology from my boyfriend for all the complaining he had done in the past about my stockpile of scented candles - they were great for lighting up the apartment! We also had lots of flashlights and batteries, and a gas grill on our balcony. Dinner was cream of chicken soup with extra chicken (random canned food from the pantry) cooked on the grill by candlelight. We kept the fridge and freezer cold and the only food that didn't make it was the dairy products. We live in North Park and got power back around 10:30pm.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dollar Tree and other dollar stores, people! You can stock up on things like candles and batteries for cheap, but don't wait for an emergency to do it, go now or sometime soon. They have the smaller candles and tapers, but if you want the bigger ones for cheap, try Marshalls or TJ Maxx. They have jar type candles from $3 to 9 depending on size.

    Be careful hoarding gasoline. We have a shed far from our house where we keep gas for our generator, as well as the lawn mower etc. I'd hate to see someone saving gas in their basement or garage end up blowing up/burning down their house though!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for posting this. It's a reminder to replenish my emergency food stash and check batteries. great advice also to keep some cash in the handbag. I live in the Washington,DC Metro area - the ATMs were emptied the day of 9/11. I try to keep $100 in my handbag at all times, and some walking shoes in the car, just in case.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig