Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow in Rose Mist

 Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow in Rose Mist
(retail: $9, 0.53 oz)

Before I get into this review, I want to let you know that the Extra Lasting Eyeshadows are currently on sale on the Avon website for $5.99 (regular price: $9). I don't know how long the sale is going to last, so I wanted to let you know about that right up front.

OK, so if you caught the press release I posted a while back about the new Extra Lasting collection from Avon, you know that one of the products in this collection is eyeshadow. Since I'm a ridiculously huge fan of long-wear makeup, I was excited to a receive some products from this collection for review, including one of the eyeshadows in Rose Mist.

From Avon:

Extra Lasting Eyeshadow ($9): Experience nine-hour wear with this breakthrough shimmering, silky shadow. Formulated with Freshwear Complex to help maintain true, fresh color all day, the shadow includes pigments coated with a protective shield to help reinforce color against the elements that break it down. The transfer-proof formula glides on easily and precisely with a sponge-tip applicator, leaving eyes with a silky sheen.


This shadow is one of those hybrid types of products. At first it goes on like a powder, but then it sort of turns into a cream once you start applying it to your lids, and it also has a cooling effect (which is awesome since it's about 100 degrees in my house these days).

I find this shadow easy to apply--just a few swipes on my lid and all it requires after that is a quick blending out toward my crease with my finger. BUT, I do want to warn you that--especially in this heat--this product dries quickly. You do not have a lot of time to play around once you apply this, so my best advice is this: put it where it needs to go, quickly blend out any harsh lines with your fingertip and STOP. If you try to blend after it has started to dry, you're asking for trouble (streaks, bald patches, etc.).

That said, this product has been an absolute miracle for me in this hot weather. I can put it on in the morning, and by early evening it's still going strong with no creasing or fading. Even after being out in the sun in 100 degree weather and perspiring up a storm, this stuff does not BUDGE on me. Here's a before and after:


For this test, I applied the product to the back of my hand, let it dry for about one minute, and took my finger and rubbed back and forth as hard as I could. To my naked eye, there is literally no difference after this rub test. I'm telling you, once this is on, it's ON.

But what's great (well, even better than the incredibly staying power) is that it removes so easily with my makeup towelettes. No tugging or pulling required!

The shade Rose Mist is a perfect wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am type of shade, in that it gives a nice amount of color without having to fuss with additional crease shades or highlight shades. I'm an NC20 and I could definitely wear this shade all by itself on my lid and crease and look polished and ready for the day. 

I would classify Rose Mist as an icy purplish-taupe shimmer. When I wear it alone on my eyes, it seems like a purple-based taupe, however, when swatched next to some true taupes, the purple is MUCH more apparent:


As you can see, the purple REALLY comes out when side-by-side with other taupes that I own. In fact, I really didn't notice just how purple Rose Mist was until I swatched it next to other shades.

One more thing I love about this eyeshadow is that it makes an EXCELLENT base for powder shadows.  I love wearing it alone (the color is so vibrant I really don't need to layer another shadow on top of it) but when used as a base it really intensifies other taupes in my stash and keeps my powder shadows in place all day and into the night. The only thing I would strongly suggest is that you wait until this product is COMPLETELY dry before you attempt to layer a powder shadow on top of it. Otherwise, you could run into some streaks or inconsistent application.

FINAL VERDICT: For an all-over wash of color that's not going to budge (even on oily lids and in 100 degree weather), I am seriously impressed with Avon Extra Lasting Eyeshadow in Rose Mist. I think this shade is gorgeous and it works extremely well for a daytime or nighttime look. It removes easily with my makeup towelettes, and it also works beautifully as a primer for use with other powder shadows. The only thing you need to be aware of is that you do not have a lot of play time once you apply this product--it dries QUICKLY, so be sure you apply it where you want it, blend any rough edges with your fingertip or a brush, and then stop. Don't try to fuss with it or you might run into some streaking issues. Also, if you're going to use it as a primer, be sure to wait until it's fully dry before you apply your powder shadows and you shouldn't run into any problems.

Have you tried any products from the Avon Extra Lasting Collection? Do you think this eyeshadow might be a good fit for your needs? Please check back soon for my reviews of some of the other products in the Extra Lasting collection.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I have never tried any Avon products, save one eyeshadow sample a friend sent me, but the samples are so thin you can hardly do much. Since I, too, have oily lids and it has also been hellishly hot, this intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't bought any Avon in a while, but I love their stuff.

    I wonder how this would hold up as a primer?

    Cooling on the eyelids? Yea, I'll test that out...I've never had sweaty eyelids til I moved here to Florida. Ick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NeutraKris: Never tried an Avon product? Does that include mark too? Girlie, you need to place a fun order soon. So many great products to try! :)

    Kimberly: lol! I actually described what this is like as primer in this review, hun! If you're interested, take a look. Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! I skipped over the paragraph on using it as a primer. I was curious about that as I dropped $18 on Bare Escentials new color eye primer. :) I can get 3 of these Avons for one of BEs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the review! I haven't bought from Avon in ages! I should find myself an Avon Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Avon and they makes great makeup that people doesn't really know about. Thanks for doing this review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to try this. I have ordered the makeup from this line and cat wait to receive it. Are you going to review the foundation G?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig