Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, May 8, 2011

Questions about coupons? I've got answers!

Lately I've been receiving questions about coupons (how to stack, how to tell the difference between store coupons and manufacturer's coupons, etc.) so I thought I'd do a quick post explaining things to the best of my abilities.  I hope this helps some of you who are new to couponing!

First off, here's the easiest way to tell the difference between a manufacturer's coupon and store coupon. I have mentioned this on the blog before, but it's always nice to post a refresher:

This is a manufacturer's coupon:


Manufacturer's coupons almost always begin with the number 5 (circled in red above). They also have two sets of barcodes. Manufacturer's coupons are found in magazines, newspapers, and they're even affixed to products or on tear-pads on product displays. Manufacturer's coupons are the MOST common type of coupons out there.

This is a store coupon:


Store coupons usually have ONE barcode, and the first number in the barcode is NOT a "5" (in this case, it's a 9). There are other clues that will tip you off that it's a store coupon, such as that you will see the name of the particular store on the coupon. NOTE: sometimes a coupon will say something like "Available at Walmart" but it will actually NOT be a store coupon! You can always double-check by making sure the coupon barcode begins with a "5". If it does, then it's a manufacturer's coupon and it can be used anywhere.

How do you stack coupons?

This is pretty simple now that you know the difference between a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon. In order to stack coupons (use two coupons for the purchase of ONE item) the two coupons you're using MUST be one of each kind (one store, and one manufacturer's). NOTE: you also must check with the particular store to make sure that coupon stacking is an accordance with their coupon policy. To my knowledge, most stores accept this method, but I've heard that some do not.

Here's an example of two coupons that can be stacked:


As you can see, the top coupon (manufacturer's coupon) begins with the number "5" and has two sets of barcodes. The bottom coupon is a Target store coupon and has one barcode, which does NOT begin with the number "5". So if you were to present both of these coupons to your cashier, you would get $1.25 off a six-roll package (or larger) of Charmin.

In regard to drugstore purchases, I want to make sure you know that CVS coupons (the ones that print at the red scanner box, at the bottom of your receipt, etc.) are store coupons and CAN be stacked with manufacturer's coupons. More examples of store coupons would be Target printable coupons, Rite Aid Video Values coupons, and also the coupons that come in the weekly drugstore ads (Walgreens, Rite Aid, etc.) and also the coupons in the Walgreens Monthly Coupon Book.

In addition to coupons, there are, of course, things like CVS Extra Bucks, Walgreens Register Rewards, and Rite Aid +UP Rewards. These rewards are like STORE CREDIT. Which means that you could use them in conjunction with a store coupon and/or a manufacturer's coupon.  NOTE: In the case of Walgreens, you are required to have an even ratio of coupons to items when you make a purchase. In other words, if you were going to use Register Rewards, a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon to purchase ONE tube of lipstick, you would be required to purchase TWO other items in that transaction (three coupons, three items).

How to save even MORE money? Look for coupons such as $4 off a $20 purchase, which is a coupon that CVS often emails to Extra Care members.You could use a coupon like this in conjunction with a manufacturer's coupon, a store coupon, and Extra Bucks for an incredible savings (even more if you waited for a good sale on the particular product you were planning to purchase).

I hope this helps some of you that are new to couponing and/or new to the world of drugstore beauty. Keeping an eye out for coupons, sales and rewards can REALLY add up, and I promise that you can get beauty products for free, or very close to it, if you just follow these simple rules.

As always, if you have any questions, just let me know!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. This was so helpful! Thank you! I didn't know about the bar code numbers so this is great info. I also have a couple of those coupons that do say "available @ ..." so I will have to check it out. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it is possible now or not, but is there anyway you can block out the barcode so people don't try to make copies of it to use for themselves?
    (Not saying that anyone HERE would do that, but with google images, anything is possible.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i went into CVS today to get a mother's day card I did get the $3 off of $10 cosmetics coupon but i did not use it. But when i purchased the card it printed off a coupon for $5 off of $15(only good for 3 days)and a coupon for 30% off all CVS brand products. I believe too that CVS facial care is on sale this week buy 1 get one half off. So it would be neat to use the 30% off coupon with the $5 off $15 and I think CVS will let you do that but im not sure but its worth a try considering I use their eye makeup remover like its going out of style and I also love their exfoliating makeup removing cloths(compare to POnd's i believe). So i might have to take advantage of this offer. I wonder though if u could use the 3 of 10 cosmetics and the 5 of 15 that would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MzCherrie: You are so welcome! Definitely check your coupons to see if they have that "5" at the beginning of the barcode, because if they do, you can use them anywhere! :)

    Candace: Thank you so much for that! Great idea. I know that no one here would ever do that, but you're right--google images are there for the world to see! I just x'ed out the barcode on the only coupon that's still valid (the other two have expired). Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know if the CVS $3 off of $10 can be printed each day this week? or is it just a one time coupon? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I didn't know you could stack the store with the manufacturer's. I'm a bit coupon challenged anyway, but hope to get better at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So for the Walgreens Register Rewards, if you needed 2 more items, could you just buy 2 packs of gum?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mfg. coupons can also begin with a '9''. Beginning with a '5' means that, if the store participates, they may double (or triple) the coupon up to the store's stated maximum value. Beginning with a '9' means, from the mfg, not to double or triple the coupon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had some coupon-stacking fun this weekend! I had a bunch of Revlon coupons, so I used those plus Extra Bucks and the beauty club rewards to get a little over $9 off, which ended with $7 in more Extra Bucks! Then, at Target I stacked a store coupon and Neutrogena coupon to get a cleanser from their new Naturals line, which also came with a free lip balm. It's so easy once you get the system, and you can save so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Wag's doesn't allow stacking of a store and a manufacturer's coupon. I bought mascara, yesterday and had a manufacturer's coupon and the gal at the register tried to stack in a Walgreen's coupon for me and it wouldn't fly. Bummer.

    I did use the Rimmel coupon on a bronzer, yesterday. I love that I got a six dollar bronzer for less then two dollars. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just used BOGO coupons for Clean & Clear body wash and stacked them on top of the BOGO sale at Walgreens! 14 body washes for FREE (I just had to pay tax)!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. *hmm* It appears the redplum coupon application won't install or run on my OS.. which is too bad, because it would be perfect to use with the 50% off sale this week.

    Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Ice Queen:

    If you only purchased the mascara (1 item) & tried to use 2 coupons, that's why it wouldn't work. At Walgreens, you have to have as many items as you have coupons, regardless of what they are used on. So, if you had the mascara & 2 coupons you would need to, say, buy a pack of gum to make your # of coupons match your # of items. That's Walgreens policy & they should adhere to that. I HTH!! & help you save some $$ ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweetsweettart, I got the CVS coupon earlier this week, and when I scanned my card there today, I got another one! So it looks like multiples are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heads up on Target...you can actually use THREE coupons per item! A manufacturer's and two Target store coupons given that they are of two different values (like $1 off and $0.75 off) Plus your REDCard 5% discount and free giftcards when you buy so many of a product = Target is AWESOME : )

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig