I just wanted to briefly talk to you today about a coupon issue that has been discussed recently in the comments on my blog (I have deleted all of the comments about this issue because I thought it best to move any discussion of this topic to THIS post).
I realize that coupon newbies might not be aware of the honor system among couponers, but let me put it to you this way: it's BIG no-no amongst couponers to print more than one coupon from one computer (yes, sometimes a coupon site will actually ALLOW you to print 2 or even 3 copies of a coupon, I know this). But if there is no limit stated on the coupon, it's assumed that you may print one coupon per person/computer. And by all means, it's NEVER OK (read: illegal) to photocopy a coupon.
Just so you're aware, some sites have what is called tracking software, which allows the site to track your IP address if they suspect you have printed an excessive amount of the same coupon.
I think the following summary from HotCouponWorld.com perfectly states the facts about printing multiple coupons:
Printing more than the allotted number of coupons
- Many companies offer Internet printable coupon for many products. You can find lots of them in the HCW Coupon Database.
- When you sign up to print these coupons a tracking software program is often downloaded to your computer to enable you to print the coupons.
- This program has a set limit of how many times you are allowed to print that company’s coupon. Some only let you print once, some let you print 2 or 3 times by clicking the back button or returning to the homepage of the coupons. Very few companies will allow you to print unlimited amounts of their coupons.
- Some sites do not have a tracking software program that controls the number of prints allowed. Instead it may be stated on the site as “limit 1 per person, household or address, etc. )
- The tracking software that the companies require you to install on your computer not only allows you to print a certain limit but may also include a tracking bar code where by the coupons can be traced back to you in case of fraudulent misuse of the coupon.
- Setting your computer or printer to override the coupon tracking software or discussing how to print more than the stated quantity listed on the site is misuse of the generosity of the manufacturer and discussion of such behavior is not allowed at HCW.
- Scanning, saving coupons to file that are not intended to be saved to file, or copying coupons are against most manufacturers written words on their coupons and once again they could be traced back to you.
- If you wish to obtain multiples of an Internet printed coupon there are ways to do so. You can trade for them, go to the library, or perhaps computers at work. Ask friends and family to print for you.
Remember! Coupon fraud hurts everyone. The stores may not get reimbursed for illegal use of coupons. The more fraudulent coupon use that goes on, the more restrictions the manufacturers and stores impose on couponers.
Thanks to HotCouponWorld.com for posting these guidelines. I hope this clears up the issue of printing multiple online coupons. Thanks for reading.