Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 18, 2011

Review: L'Oreal Youth Code Starter System

Delivering on my promise to bring you more skincare reviews (per your requests!), today I'll be reviewing the L'Oreal Youth Code Starter System.

Remember back in December when we first spotted this new skincare line from L'Oreal? Geeze, that seems like eons ago, doesn't it? Well I've been quietly testing these products since January and I'm finally able go give you my final verdict!

I purchased the Youth Code Starter System for a really good price at Rite Aid (with combined coupons and sales, I was able to get it for, I believe, under $10).

 L'Oreal Youth Code Starter System
(retail: around $30.00)

 

As you can see, this kit includes small, or starter, sizes of three of products from the Youth Code line:

SPF 30 Day Lotion
Day/Night Cream
Eye Cream

Even though the products are smaller than full size, there's definitely enough product in each container to last you for at least a month or two, even if used every single day and night.



I'm not thrilled that the Day/Night Cream comes in a jar (I'm a germaphobe and I also believe that certain skincare products lose their efficacy when exposed to too much air and light, so I try to avoid jars whenever possible).

But I LOVE the delivery system for the Eye Cream:


The Eye Cream comes with this really cool applicator that has a metal finish. The shape of the applicator perfectly fits my eye socket, so during application I can really get into the nooks and crannies of my eye area, all the while enabling a hands-free application. Plus, the metal finish of the applicator provides a cooling sensation as well, which I enjoy.

As for the the SPF 30 Day Lotion, this comes in a pump bottle and I like it as well. It's easy to control and you don't end up with too much product on your fingers when you dispense the lotion.

So here are my thoughts on the performance of each individual product:

Day/Night Cream:

I won't repurchase this cream primarily based on the fact that it comes in a jar (see what I wrote above about that). BUT, I did like that this cream was extremely moisturizing on my wintertime skin. When applied at night, my skin felt extremely soft and moisturized in the morning. However, since I have very oily skin, it felt a tiny bit greasy as well. This cream did not cause me any break-outs, but I would solely use it at night and never in the day--it's just too heavy for daytime use, for me at least. If you have mature skin and/or dry skin, this might work well for daytime, but for those with oily skin, I think you'll want to reserve this for bedtime only. 

SPF 30 Day Lotion:

My favorite product of the bunch and the only one I would definitely repurchase. I love this lotion because it contains a high amount of SPF, it absorbs well, the smell is not obnoxious (sort of suntan-lotiony, due to the SPF I'm sure), and the best part: even though it contains SPF, it doesn't sting my eyes! I hate it when moisturizers with SPF sting if they migrate to my eye area. This one? Not one bit of stinging for me! Also, my skin just feels incredibly hydrated after I use this lotion, and I can feel the hydrating effects well into the day and night. I haven't noticed any dramatic changes to my skin since I began using this product, however, my skin just generally feels softer, smoother and more plump.  Also, I think this lotion doubles as an eye cream quite well, and using it as both a moisturizer and eye cream have been quite successful for me. My makeup doesn't slide all over the place throughout the day, although this lotion does not have a mattifying effect. My skin looks "glowy" after I put on my makeup and I do still have breakthrough shine by mid-afternoon (I always do though, so that's no big let-down).

Eye Cream:

This product started out wonderfully for me (I LOVE that applicator), but sadly, the richness and heaviness of this eye cream resulted in milia around my eye area (if you don't know what milia is, there's a good definition on DermaDoctor here). I only saw a few bumps, but that was enough to make me discontinue using this product and switch to the Day Lotion as eye cream for the duration of my testing period. If you have mature or severely dry skin, then this may work better for you. But if you are prone to milia when using heavier skincare products, I'd probably skip this one.

FINAL VERDICT: After testing the Youth Code Starter System for a few months now, I found that one of the three products, the SPF 30 Day Lotion, would warrant a repurchase based on my particular skincare needs. I have oily skin, minor wrinkles, redness and old acne scars, and while this lotion did not "solve" those problems for me, it did a fantastic job of hydrating and plumping up my dry, wintertime skin without adding to my already-oily skin. Plus, the SPF 30 is a great bonus, and if this lotion migrates toward my eye area, it does not sting like other moisturizers with SPF tend to do. Sadly, the Day/Night Cream and the Eye Cream were not a love-match for me.

Have you tried any products from the L'Oreal Youth Code line yet? I'd love to hear about your experiences!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I've been curious about this line but since skin care tends to be pricey I usually like to wait for reviews first. I don't understand why companies STILL sell products in jars. Everyone complains about it. I'm not a germaphobe at all, but I hate getting product under my nails and the part about the ingredients losing their effectiveness bothers me. I don't think I have ever seen anyone say they prefer jars, at the most they say they don't mind them. And even then I rarely see that.

    When I run out of my current SPF moisturizer (which is just okay) I will probably pick this one up. I like the amount of SPF it has and not burning the eyes is enough reason to buy!

    Oh and G... thank you for being the first follower on my little attempt of a blog. You are so sweet and supportive. I think you are the nicest person I have ever encountered, also. You inspire me and I aspire to be more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the eye cream! I never seen an eye cream like that before~People should start taking care of their skin now rather than putting too much makeup! Thank you so much for sharing!!

    -Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few of these kits (gotta love Rite Aid!!) and I agree, I hate anything that comes in a jar. But I do love love the eye cream applicator. Couldn't be a better shape for my eye! I also bought the serum and I am liking that alot since its just a supplement to any ol' skin care routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About the whole jar thing, I've seen some gurus on Youtube as well as some beauty-store employees use a cotton swab or small spatula to scoop out product, then transfer the product to their fingers or the back of the hand, and then apply! Perhaps that would be useful for when you are testing jar products?

    And is it possible for you to compare the ingredients from the L'oreal Youth Code line to the Lancome Genefique line? I've read from a few sources that they basically have the same ingredients, except L'oreal has one or two less products! It could be believable since they're both owned by Estee Lauder (I think, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so get that certain sunscreens irritate the eye area; I get that too! I had to completely get rid of an awesome moisturizer because my skin is just too sensitive for it.

    @lumberjackie- L'oreal and Lancome are actually owned by L'oreal. L'oreal also owns Maybelline, Garnier, and Redken to name a few. It is very likely that L'oreal's Youth Code is a budget counterpart to Genefique. I have noticed L'oreal does many products that are similar or dupes to Lancome products. ex: Artliner= L'oreal Lineur Intense, Definicils= L'oreal Voluminous Full Definition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That eye cream applicator looks so cool. I am so bummed it caused a millia breakout because I am extremely prone to milliaa so it rules it out for me.

    I am looking forward to more of your skincare reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for this! I'm easily drawn in by anti-aging products. And each time that I'm at the drugstore I take a look at Youth Code. I have normal to dry skin but I'm prone to breakouts and milia. Needless to say, you've quenched my curiosity and saved me a few bucks!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig