Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss in Rosegold

The very first time I saw the display for the new Revlon Colorburst Lipglosses (click here if you missed it) I knew I'd have to buy at least one of them. So when I finally spotted the display at a local Rite Aid, I was like a moth to flame!

After much debating and back-and-forth in the cosmetics aisle, I settled on this baby:

 Revlon Colorburst Lipgloss in Rosegold
(retail: $7.49)

Rosegold is a lovely shade of orangey-peach with fine gold and pink sparkle (don't worry, it's not gritty in the slightest). It's more beautiful than I could ever begin to show you in pictures. You really have to see it in person to fully appreciate it:

 (click to enlarge, again to magnify)

I know the big question is, "How do Colorburst glosses compare to Super Lustrous glosses?" and I WISH I could give you the details on that. Unfortunately, I'm one of the only women in America who doesn't quite love Super Lustrous glosses. I just could never find a shade that worked for me, so I don't vividly remember what the pigmentation, fragrance, flavor, etc. are like. In other words, I can't give you a side-by-side comparison. Sorry!

What I can tell you is this: Colorburst glosses come in a tube that seems almost double the length of Super Lustrous glosses. And the applicator for Colorburst lipglosses is AWESOME. Check this out:


The applicator has a rounded edge, and it's very thin with a slight curvature to it. Also, it's SUPER flexible (some may call that "flimsy" but I don't think it's a quality issue--it had to be designed this way on purpose). The extreme flexibility of this applicator functions sort of like a "shock absorber", if you will. When you run it across your lips, the applicator sort of bends and moves and hugs the natural curve of your lips. The result? An effortless application. I'm totally obsessed.

Let's take a look at some swatches:


Again, these photos don't do this gloss justice. The color is so much more pretty and complex in person, especially when my lips catch the light. Rosegold may resemble a MAC or Chanel gloss, but since I'm not a hardcore gloss junkie, I don't have the slightest idea if this is a dupe or not. All I can tell you is that it's unique for a drugstore shade, that's for certain!

Let's talk about fragrance, flavor, texture and performance:

This gloss has a vanilla fragrance to it, but it's not a candy-sweet vanilla. It actually smells like pure vanilla extract to me (which I love), but if you don't care for the scent of vanilla extract, this might be an issue for you on initial application.  The flavor of this gloss is a soft vanilla (again, not a super sweet, candy vanilla but more of a natural vanilla) but I found that both the flavor and fragrance fade pretty quickly.

This is not an opaque shade, but it's not a super sheer shade either. It's definitely buildable and, even when worn lightly, I can still see it on my lips.

As for the texture, I get no stickiness or tackiness from this gloss. I'd say the consistency is right in the middle (not so thick that it feels like tar on the lips, not so thin that it feels runny). This gloss hugs my lips, but not in a suffocating way. I'd say that it's exactly the way I want my gloss to be.

The only fault I can find with this product is the staying power. Now, it should be noted that I'm a chronic gloss-eater, so if you're an expert at making gloss stay on your lips for hours, you might very well get more mileage. On my lips, I find I need to reapply this gloss after about an hour. But I want to make it clear that part of that is due to my uncontrollable urge to smoosh my lips together when I'm wearing it. I just love the feel of this gloss on my lips and I cannot help myself.

All in all, I think the new Colorburst Lipgloss line offers some gorgeous shades and textures that you don't find from other drugstore brands. I love the applicator, the gloss itself, the flavor and the fragrance. The staying power isn't stellar for me, but then again many glosses require reapplication after an hour on my lips.

Do you already own any of these new Colorburst lipglosses? If so, what do you think of them? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. d color is damn nice...waiting for it to come in india soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to not be interested in the Super Lustrous glosses because of the color range as well, but the four new colors are really nice, you should check them out!

    Coral Reef is so gorgeous and really popular. :) Pigmented and really awesome. Just enough pink to not make me look sallow, and I usually can't wear corals at all.

    I've been really interested in these glosses too, thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the Super Lustrous glosses. I've just never figured out what the fuss is about. This Rosegold Colorburst gloss looks absolutely lovely! Can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw these earlier while I was in Walgreens (the one off University Ave near the CVS). They had all the new displays! They even had the new Wet n Wild display :) They don't have the new 8 color palettes yet though. They just had the display of the new trios, eyeliners and new fast forward polishes :) I picked up the new Maybelline Fit me foundation. Hopefully it doesn't break me out since my skin in super sensitive. I was super excited to see all the new drugstore displays. I thought I was going to be in the cosmetics section forever but I limited myself to just a few items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That color looks awesome on you! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got 4 of these last night at Walgreens. They are doing buy one get one 50% at Walgreens so I basically got one free. I really like them and love the vast color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are not the only one who was not a huge fan of the super lustrous glosses. I always wondered why ppl raved about them so much- they never impressed me much. However these glosses caught my eye in the drugstore so I can't wait to try them after a bogo sale! Especially after this review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, G! Have you ever tried the L'oreal Color Riche lipglosses? Those have a very flexible sponge applicator as well, and I was wondering how they compared to the Revlon Colorburst lipglosses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That gloss is gorgeous! It kinda reminds me of a more sheer version of MAC Prr

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few of these glosses and I am really loving them. Your description is pretty right on. I'm plotting the acquisition of more asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard great things about these lipglosses and I'm really glad you reviewed it, such a pretty shade. I own too many lipglosses, so I won't buy it for now, but it's definitely on my wishlist! :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i had two of these and returned them =( (great packaging and nice color range, but not up my alley) once long ago i didn't like super lustre glosses. since the revamp and new colors came out, they are now a drugstore fave! i def prefer those over these =(

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so pretty on you! I prefer the staying power of this glosses compared to the Superlustrous ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a good color on you!

    I totally need to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first one is Peony, I've got Bordeaux and Strawberry waiting to be used. I don't want to use too many of them at once. But once I run out of Peony, I will use the other colors. I like them. For times, I just want a natural or simple look.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig