Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, November 19, 2010

Review: NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Cottage Cheese

For years now, I've been hearing that the NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Cottage Cheese is an excellent multi-tasker. If fact, the only reason I think I haven't tried it up until now is that I've had a difficult time finding it in my area. But recently I uncovered a great selection of NYX products at a local beauty supply store, and when I saw that they had the infamous Cottage Cheese in stock, it took me all of two seconds to put this baby in my basket.

NYX Jumbo Eyeshadow Pencil in Cottage Cheese
(retail: $4 on the NYX website)


As is the case with so many products I own, I'm not using this pencil for its intended purpose (as an eyeshadow). No no no! Because using this as eyeshadow would be silly, right? I mean, given the name of the product and all (insert sarcastic tone here).

For years, I've heard that people have actually been using this as an eyeshadow base, and also as a highlighter. Well, I'm here to tell you that Cottage Cheese ROCKS used in both capacities!

First, I put it to the test as an eyeshadow base, using some of my weakest and least pigmented eyeshadows. For the below swatches, I used some of my Aziza shadows which I reviewed here.


As you can see, the three shadows I selected for this experiment are pretty darned weak on their own (some are practically nonexistent). But check out what happens when I layer them over Cottage Cheese. They come alive a bit, don't they?

Since Cottage Cheese is a true winter-white shimmer (actually it's more of a frost), I would only recommend using it as a base with shadows that already contain some shimmer (or at the very least, are satin in texture). If you're going for a matte look, the frost in Cottage Cheese will bleed through and give your eyes a shimmery look, so I just want you to be aware of that.

I've been using Cottage Cheese as a base for several different eyeshadows over the last few weeks, and I've had great success with each of them. Granted, I haven't tried Cottage Cheese as base in the scalding hot Southern California summertime, so I don't know if my fellow oily-skinned gals will be pleased with it during hot weather. But for fall and winter, this one's working like a champ for me.

One very important tip: I've found that the best application technique is to use a thin layer of this product on your lids before you apply your eyeshadow. I swipe it several times across my lid and then with my finger I blend, blend, blend it up and into my crease and finally into the brow-bone region. I do NOT suggest applying a thick layer of this pencil to your lids and then immediately swiping on your eyeshadow because that's just begging for creasing. So remember: blend it like crazy with your finger and try to apply the thinnest layer you can to your lids before you apply your eyeshadow.

Because this pencil has a reputation for being a multi-tasker, I of course had to put Cottage Cheese to the test as a highlighter. Let's take a look:


For this look, I used only two colors on my eyes: Jesse's Girl Mineralized Baked Powder Eye Shadow in Plum Frost (click here if you missed my review of this shadow) and NYX Cottage Cheese as both a primer, and as a highlighter in the inside corners of my eyes and also on my brow-bone.

I definitely could have blended Cottage Cheese more on the inside corners of my eyes, but I wanted to keep it kind of heavy just for dramatic effect, to show you how it can look as a highlighter. I found Cottage Cheese very easy to apply as a highlighter, and it was also easy to build and blend. Oh, and it lasted all night!

So there you have it. The masses are not wrong about this one! NYX Cottage Cheese is a great little multi-tasker and I'm so glad I finally gave it a try. I think it deserves a permanent place in my makeup bag, for sure.

Do you already own Cottage Cheese or any other NYX Jumbo Pencils? What are your favorite shades, and how do you use them?
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. oooh pretty! i think i may need this lol thank u for the recommendation =]

    p.s. im hungry for cottage cheese now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool! looks really pretty as an inner corner highlight. thing is, when you said great multitasker, i was ready to see you try it as a cheek highlighter too haha =] oh well. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh god, the name!? Whyyyy? LMAO. But it looks great as an eyeshadow base. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey lady! your eotd is so gorgeous. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats a great color, but really? cottage cheese? out of all the white foods out there, cottage cheese?

    i used to really enjoy cottage cheese until i started doing volunteer work for a women's health center, and now whenever i see the word "cottage cheese" its followed by "-like discharge".

    so the entire world of cottage cheese has been eternally ruined for me. and probably you now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need it someday too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pencil, it's the only jumbo pencil from NYX I ever use. I like to use it as a base as opposed to Milk, which I know is HG for a lot of people. To me, Milk is too greasy, but the consistency of this is perfect, and I like the shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. =D I'm so glad that you like Cottage Cheese!

    It's definitely one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great review! awesome post! i do own cottage cheese! I also own yellow, pacific & lemon. I use them all as e/s bases. I lay down some l'oreal decrease 1st though b/c my lids are super oily. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use all shades of NYX pencils as bases (not only milk), they are all great. Cheap paint pot dupes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you finally tried them out! I have 4 shades: Pots & Pans, Milk, Cottage Cheese, and Yogurt. My favorite one has to be Cottage Cheese- so versatile and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shimmer and color are great, the name not so much. I was half expecting you to say it was lumpy and smelly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a bunch of the pencils but I haven't used them in a while. Uhm I have:
    Cottage Cheese (creamy white)
    Purple (royal purple)
    Lemon (chartreuse green)
    Pots & Pans (dark silvery grey)
    Oyster (light pink with blue-violet reflect)
    Hot Pink - hot pink
    Black Bean - black
    Cherry - cherry red

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not own any, but I seen a lot of good use to this line. I want to try out it but just like u, I find it hard to buy NYX in store. I also see a girl use this in white to lining her water line. And it worked very well. Some ppl did complain that the pencil is too big to sharpen. Some just decided to depot the products for better way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow thanks! i think i'm going to need this multi-task product in my bag!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love using different colors of these for bases. it's really fun to play with the black one and use different light shimmery colors on top of it. another product to look into if you like doing this--wet n wild makes a creme shadow pencil. it's a little thinner in consistency, but you can get similar effects. very fun and probably easier to track down than the NYX pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You need a primer under it don't you? Or else it'd crease I imagine, from my experience from NYX Jumbo e/s pencils -_-

    ReplyDelete
  18. ngocupham, did you try CVS? They have a display with several of these pencils, but the white they have is Milk, not Cottage Cheese.

    theetinygoat, thanks, yeah, thanks a lot! *gag*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cottage Cheese is a pretty color! I must add it to my collection :) I have a few of NYX's Jumbo eye pencils and my favorites are Milk-a creamy white which is perfect for making eyeshadow colors applied on top of it POP! and another favorite is Black Bean-a deep creamy black which makes for an amazing base when creating dark, smoky eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow the difference with the eyeshadows is amazing!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig