Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Review: New Milani Lip Flash pencils

A little while ago, I reviewed the new Milani HD Advance Lip Color in Modern Mauve and today I'd like to show you the other new Milani lip product, Lip Flash Full Coverage Shimmer Gloss Pencils.

Milani Lip Flash Pencils (retail: $6.99)

I was fortunate enough to receive three gorgeous shades of Lip Flash for review recently, and if I had to sum them up in one word, it would be LOVE.

Left to right: In a Flash, Lip Flash and Photo Flash


Let me try to break this down as simply as possible: if you love color, high pigmentation and tons of sparkle, these Lip Flash pencils are for YOU. 

Unlike other jumbo lip pencils I've used in the past, these do not glide on the lips in that greasy way that is the trademark of a lot of jumbo pencil lip colors.  No, these go on sort of like a lipstick--not sticky or goopy, but smooth and more on the dry side (as opposed to a gloss). But they're not TOO dry--I want to make that perfectly clear. And they are not drying to my lips either. Basically, it's like a lipstick or balm but in pencil form, and the only thing that these pencils have in common with a gloss is the amount of sparkle (there is a ton) and also the fact that they do provide more shine than most lipsticks.


It was virtually impossible for me capture in photos the true beauty of these colors. Honestly, you need to see and experience them for yourself to fully understand how stunning these are. Also, I want to note that Photo Flash is not as red as it appears in my pics--it is actually more on the magenta side. 

And please, please enlarge these photos so you can see the gorgeous sparkle in these colors. I'm stunned at how much gorgeousness is packed in these pencils.



In a Flash is cool lavender-pinkish-magenta shade that is packed with violet blue sparkle. I immediately thought of the lovely Phyrra when I first swiped this shade, because this is definitely one of her signature lip colors (Phyrra, if you're reading this, you NEED In a Flash!).



Lip Flash is a difficult shade to describe. At first glance you might think it's a lovely bronzey-brown with golden shimmer. But upon closer inspection, there's a beautiful plum undertone here that almost gives off a rose-gold quality. Complex and gorgeous, I think this would look stunning on those of you with deeper skintones.


If you only enlarge one photo in this post, please PLEASE let it be this collage of Photo Flash. You need to see the gorgeous hot-pink sparkle running through this color.  My goodness, I don't even have the words to describe how amazing this color is in person. But be warned: it's definitely not for the timid. This is a "New Year's Eve color" if I ever saw one! It's festive, it's stunning and it WILL get you noticed (but in a good way). But again, please note that in real life this shade leans more toward magenta than true red (my camera is notorious for turning pinks and purples red--sorry about that).

So after wearing these shades for a few days now, here are my favorite things about them (besides the stunning colors):

1) They are shockingly long-wearing! I can get over four hours of wear from these pencils, which is far more than most of the glosses and lipsticks that I own.  I think this probably has to do with the fact that these are not greasy in texture--they actually have a very slight tacky feel to them. But it's not sticky and it's not irritating in any way to me.

2) Very little to no fragrance or flavor. If you're sensitive to those kinds of things, I don't think you'll have any issues with these.

3) The tip of these pencils don't "smoosh" when you apply them to your lips. In fact, they hold their form quite well for a jumbo pencil. (Of course I can't vouch for how these would do on a very hot day, but it's been about 85 degrees here lately and I haven't had a problem with them at all.)

Now, if I had to find fault with Milani Lip Flash pencils, the only negative thing I could possibly say about them is that, when the color eventually fades, the sparkle stays behind on my lips a bit.  But honestly, I anticipated that this would happen just due to the sheer abundance of sparkle in these pencils. Which reminds me: no gritty feel or texture when I rub my lips together. Another bonus!

Have you tired any Lip Flash pencils yet? Do you think you need one (or more) of these in your life? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

PS: And remember, if you're the type of gal who prefers a softer, more sheer and natural-looking lip color, you might want to check out the Milani HD Advance Lip Colors I reviewed earlier. I am still wearing Modern Mauve on a weekly basis and I adore it for an every-day, out-the-door-in-hurry type of shade.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. wow. these all look beautiful! I was afraid that the purple would come off a bit scary, so thank you for taking the applied photos!

    Do you think these could be sheered out a bit by pressing them into the lips with your finger rather than drawing it on or would they not blend enough for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, these look so great! I can't wait to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible post! Love the collages! Awesome pigmentation.
    Thorough review! Thanks so much for sharing. I don't have any of these (yet) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow i didnt expect such a great color pay off! i may need one of these in my life..totally OBSESSED with lippies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when are these coming out? They aren't on the website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw a full display of these today at CVS. I waffled. I didn't know if they were worth it. Now I'm convinced.

    Have you tried to sharpen one? I wonder if the color shaves off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phyrra: That color was made for you, girlie. You soooo need it. ;)

    Caitlin: You can wear them more sheer, but honestly, these were made to be bold. Due to the drier nature of the pencil, it's harder to spread a thin layer over my lips, and then you've got so much sparkle in them that it ends up looking like lots of sparkle with just a little bit of color. Does that make sense? So in other words, if you want something less dramatic and more on the sheer side, I would stick with the HD Advance lip colors. Ya gotta go BIG with these Lip Flashes. :)

    femputer: Oh, I think you'll love 'em! Please keep me posted when you try one, ok? :)

    1xellus1: Thank you so much, honey! I think you will LOVE these. Can't wait for you to try one! xo

    Samysalsa: Oh my gosh, the color payoff is unbelievable! I think you need one in your life as well. Haha! What color are you thinking about getting? :)

    SH: They're already out. I actually posted pics of the display back in July (they're part of the core collection). If you haven't seen them in your area yet, they should be there soon. So far I've only spotted them at the CVS locations in my town. Here's a pic of the display:

    http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-milani-product-pics-sort-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimberly: OMG, yes, I totally think they're worth it! I'd love to know what you think if you get one. :) Also, THANK YOU for asking about sharpening these! I completely forgot to mention that in my review! I sharpened one right before I wrote my review and they sharpen like a DREAM. The "lead" is encased in that plastic-y material that's the same type of material used in the new Milani liners, the UD 24/7 liners, etc. So it's got a really smooth, fluid feel to it when you sharpen these. I used my regular ol' L'Oreal jumbo pencil sharpener and I was able to get it down to a perfectly fine point without it breaking off. Perfection on the first try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look beautiful! I am loving the red one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow these look gorgeous! i must try these sometimes! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG you have GORGEOUS lips!!! :) And these look amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like In a Flash and Lip Flash. You have nice lips by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have one of these but I haven't tried it yet. Lip Flash 01 looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In a flash and photo flash look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen these because Milani is very difficult to find in my area, but I recently purchased something very similar at Wal-Mart. Hard Candy has five new colors in their Visibly Wet lip gloss pencils that have a similar look to the Lip Flash. I bought one and went back the next day for the other four. It wears well, has fabulous color payoff, and gives just the right amount of shine and sparkle for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig