Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, August 12, 2010

Review: New Milani HD Advance Lip Color in Modern Mauve

A while back, I posted some pics of the new core collection Milani displays that I spotted at my local CVS. Well, at that time, the displays were up but the products were not yet in the displays.  I've been been waiting and waiting, and FINALLY the other day I found the actual products at my CVS.  

There are two new Milani lip products (click here to see the displays), and I immediately gravitated toward the lipsticks because it's been a while since Milani released new lipsticks and I've been very curious about this new formula.

Milani HD Advanced Lip Color in 109 Modern Mauve (retail: $7.99)

I was able to get this lipstick for free since I took advantage of a few Extra Bucks deals while doing my shopping the other day.  I received five Extra Bucks for one of my purchases, and four for another, so yay for free lipstick!

The first thing I noticed about this lipstick is the sleek case. As you can see in the collage above, there is an "M" on the end of this slim tube and also all along the case. There is also a gold band in the middle with "Milani" embossed on both sides.  The feel of the tube is nice. Even though it's plastic, it feels solid and I like how the lid firmly clicks in place when you close it.  Also, when you twist the lipstick up, it makes a clicking sound just like the various click-pen glosses we all know and love. Oh, and I do want to mention that you can retract this lipstick all the way down when you're done using it, which is always a plus.


Modern Mauve actually looks like a beautiful rosy-berry in the tube, and I was hoping it would be a wearable shade and not a "WOW, those are some bright lips!" sort of shade. So I was very happy to discover that, on my lips, this color sort of morphs into a pinky-brown, which is my favorite shade of lipstick in the whole world. Score!

According to the display, this is a 3-in-1 lip color that provides "color shine for Hi Definition" with a "serum-infused formula" that "hydrates and moisturizes with every application". The display also says that these lip colors provide "light to medium coverage".  Well, Milani, I could not agree with you more. It sure is nice to see a drugstore product that delivers on all of its claims!

This lip color glides on effortlessly, and it's very light and almost gel-like once it's on your lips.  It actually feels more like a balm than a lipstick, but a very light balm, not a heavy, waxy balm. On my always-dry lips, it feels super moisturizing and the color of Modern Mauve is on the sheer side, yet it's nicely pigmented.  Even though this shade is a creme, it doesn't feel like a creme, if that makes sense.  It doesn't feel like a tinted lip balm (it's got too much pigment for that) yet it's not a super-opaque lipstick either.  This is a hard one to pin down, but I am loving it so far. 

Considering the texture of this lip color, I am surprised by the staying power. Even through my constant smooshing (it's too hard to resist smooshing my lips together when I'm wearing this!) I can get about three hours of wear before I need to reapply.  So it's not a long-wear product, but considering the light, gel-like consistency, it lasts pretty long.

And let's hope you like watermelon (I do!) because that's both the fragrance and flavor of this lipstick. Actually, I think it smells and tastes more like a watermelon Jolly Rancher as opposed to real watermelon, so that's kind of fun.

If you're looking for a highly-pigmented, extremely opaque lip color, I wouldn't suggest HD Advance Lip Color. I think the new Milani Lip Flash Pencils would be a far better choice (click here for Yummy411's great review with swatches).  But if soft, hydrating, sheer and wearable shades are more your style, I definitely think you should check out the HD Advance Lip Color line. I love Modern Mauve and I can't wait to try some more shades.

Do you already own any of these new HD lip colors from Milani? If not, are you thinking about picking some up? I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. I haven't bought any Milani lip stuff in a very long time. Can you tell me what 'High Def' is for makeup? LOL! It seems to be thrown around a lot in makeup land. Maybe it's just a way of explaining the impact of the color?

    I like the rosy-brown look too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeee! These look great! Great review, G! :) I love the color you chose. I will look for these when I go shopping later today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for reviewing this! I saw this in CVS but was scared because it looked dark. But this looks perfect! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love your blog --- I was in CVS two or three days ago, noticed the HD lipsticks, and thought to myself "hmmm, I'll have to see if anyone's tried these yet." And then boom! Nouveau Cheap is all over it like white on rice!

    I'm not a big fan of fruity-flavor lipsticks, so I think I'll give these a pass.

    Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig