Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, June 18, 2010

I still can't believe I actually spent money on these...

I've seen a few nail bloggers talk about the least favorite polishes in their stash and, for some odd reason, I've found that I enjoy seeing the colors people hate almost as much as seeing the colors people love. I can't explain why, but I just find it totally fascinating.

If you're like me, then you're really going to enjoy this post. I dug through my 100+ bottle stash and selected the top 8 polishes that I absolutely despise in my collection. They make me angry, they make me sad, and they make me say: "I cannot believe I actually paid money for that."

Let's start with number 8:

Sally Hansen No Chip 10 Day Nail Color in Strong Blush

Strong Blush? Could this name be any less creative? Anyway, this color actually looks prettier in photos than it does on my nails. It's super sheer and, because it's just so blah to me, I think I wore it once and decided it just wasn't worth the trouble to ever use again.

Number 7:

Ten Nail Polish in Bronze

Not quite brown, not quite gold, and surprisingly not quite bronze, Bronze is pretty uneventful and manages to make my hands looks even paler than they already are. I'm sure this color would look nice on someone, but just not me. Luckily, Ten polishes are a dollar store staple, so I didn't blow a lot of money on this.

Coming in at number 6:

Maybelline Foreverstrong + Iron in Mighty Mauve

OK first of all, where's the mauve here? This is a plain ol' berry-red and it makes me yawn every time I see it. Nothing special or even remotely interesting about this shade, and I dislike it so much I didn't even care that this photo was blurry.

At number 5 we have:

Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Nourishing Nail Color in Starlet

One thing's for certain: you'd be hard-pressed to find an actual starlet wearing this shade. It's frosty, it's streaky, and it's a dated shade of pink that would make even pink nail polish fanatics recoil in disgust.

Number 4:

Essie Brick Oven

OK, just look at my ring finger. What did I ever find enticing about this color? And to think that I paid a lot of money for it, to boot! WHAT was I thinking? I mean really.

Number 3:

mark, set, shine rapid action nail color in Rosetronique

I bought this polish many years ago (1999, I think) when a former colleague first introduced me to mark. I thought the tiny bottles were so cute (this bottle is literally about the width of a Sharpie pen) and thinking back now, I believe this was my very first metallic polish. Looking at it now (on my middle finger) I can totally understand why I was scared of metallics for a very long time afterward. This polish was thick and goopy even back then, and look at those brush marks! Eeesh. And what the heck does "rapid action" mean, anyway? Is this polish supposed to make you paint your nails in fast-forward speed or something? lol!

Number 2:

L'Oreal Shock Proof Nail Color in Sheer Moonberry

I bought this in the 90s and even THEN it was out of style. Maybe it was the allure of the 99-cent price tag? Who the heck knows, but I was in such a hurry to paint this color on my finger today that I didn't care that there was black gunk on my nail (residue from a leaky black polish from years ago). I could not be bothered to remove this rust/tan/orange trainwreck and start over again. And really, Sheer MOONBERRY? Does anyone think of this shade when they hear the words "moon" or "berry"?

And the polish I hate the very most out of all the polishes I own:

Ruby Kisses Neon Green

What you see on my pinky nail is a result of FIVE coats of Neon Green. I bought this polish last year and I was so very excited to have a bright, cherry green creme in my collection. But noooooo. This is deceptively sheer and no matter how many coats I use, it never, ever matches the shade in the bottle. And to add insult to injury, it dries to a matte finish, and it chips like crazy. So it's not even worth layering over a more opaque shade! This color sucks so much that I want to throw it against the wall every time I see it.

So there you have it: the eight most despised polishes in my collection. You may be asking yourself why I'm still holding on to these polishes and unfortunately, I don't have a good answer for you. I just can't seem to throw polishes away, no matter how awful.

I hope you enjoyed this post, and please feel free to bash some polishes of your own in the comments. I would LOVE to read all about the colors in your stash that make you angry just to look at them!

PS: I'm so sorry that I'm behind on responding to comments from the past few days. I hope to get caught up over the weekend, so thank you for your patience. This week has been a little crazy for me.

SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post, just like you enjoyed reading similar posts on other blogs.

    I guess the joy comes from realising that you aren't the only stupid person around to make buy such dud make-up and be taken for a ride by the company. Others have been ripped too :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I actually really like the first one but I've been into sheers lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that bneon green was seriously 5 coats? Eeek how horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dies, I've been doing some very belated spring (summer??) cleaning, and I just tossed some ancient bath and body stuff. x.x I still can't believe I did it, but when you've got no space...

    On the other hand, I do actually like strong blush from the pictures, but I know what you mean. I have an eyeshadow that looks black no matter how I swatch it, but in photos, it looks blue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun post! the starlet one really is streaky!

    roxy

    join my giveaway: http://roxybeautyblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/1-year-anniversary-blog-contest.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. darlin, these are just plain terrible. especially the green Jello one. i can see why you hate them! i am not a big NP girl either way but this post of hated polishes is fascinating!

    do yourself a big favour and TOSS them. welcome to 2010!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh so funny posting,loved it!
    elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally found Essie's Brick oven to look great on my skin tone (maybe it's a skin thing, who knows...). Sorry it didn't work for you :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. ROFLMAO!!!

    They make you angry, LMAOOOOOOO!!! oh my oh my oh my!!!! *gasp*


    *ahem*

    Tooooooo funny! *wipes eyes*
    I've had so many ugly, yucky, nasty, WTF polishes I can't even count, but I either gave them away [filled bags and forced them on friends and family] or tossed them, but then I don't usually spend more than $3 a bottle (at least I try my best not to).
    TOO too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That has to be one of the worst things for me too, when you buy a color and it's not what it looks like in the container and it doesn't go on well at all. Other than I try not to spend more than $5 on a bottle because I never use it all and I don't want to be out a lot of money if the color stinks.
    I remember when I started trying to get into pinks and purples in nail polishes I bought a color from pure Ice That was this great magenta and fuchia in the bottle with some sparkle. It turned out looking like I went to Libby Lou with my niece and it got sucked into my nails. It was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For duds like these, I just use them for frankening. Usually adding white will make a color prettier, for sheers, you can add glitter or loose pigments, or make a jellyish polish by adding a darker color. :)

    I have to admit, some of those look truly terrible though, not sure I'd even try mixing them, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In defense of the green, all true neons dry matte (due to concentration of pigment)and unfortch, the super bright ones (esp yellow and green) are usually a bit sheer. I usually layer over white which helps.

    However, I wouldn't toss the polishes you don't like! Zoya has a polish exchange where they take your old polish (and dispose of it properly)and you pick out bottles of their polish! I think all you pay is shipping for the polish and I hear you don't even have to mail yours to them-you can donate!

    www.zoya.com (click on upper left icon for polish exchange info)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sigh. I have polishes like this, too. I need to weed out my collection.

    I actually quite like the not-bronze shade!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I have quite a few polishes I hate/don't wear too and for the life of me don't know why I don't just toss them?! Guess I feel like that would be throwing money down the drain, however not wearing them is doing the same thing. lol I didn't know mark made nail polishes before?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sadly, I think I have more nail polishes that I dislike than those I actually like.
    I actually like Sheer Moonberry. Weird name though, doesnt seem sheer or moon berryish...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should take those polishes you don't like & send them in for the Zoya Polish Exchange. Those older ones aren't Big 3 Free & Zoya will safely dispose of them for you. Visit www.zoya.com for more information on the exchange. You pay to ship the polishes to them but pay $3.50/bottle instead of $7 for each bottle of Zoya polish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hehehe, instead of buyer's remorse, buyer's rage. I love this post because I totally know the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too fun. They don't ALL look that bad from here, but a girl's nail polish is very personal. ;-)

    Thanks for sharing dear. Oh, my own least favorite: Cover Girl, Nailslicks: Mauve Satine. More like pepto orange. What was I thinking?

    d. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha - this is just a great post! I did enjoy seeing the colors you hate - totally entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree this post is fun. I actually like the bronze color on you. I know the feeling of the RK neon green polish. Disappointing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig