Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, April 19, 2010

On second thought...no thanks!

Today is just not my kind of day. After a wonderful weekend, Monday seems pretty blah. So why not continue with my blah mood and mention some blah products that I've encountered recently. Hopefully some of you have had better luck with these products but, for me, I actually could have skipped these purchases all together.

First let's talk about this one:

Maybelline Eye Studio Color Pearls Marbellized Eye Shadow in Bronze Blowout

I think I picked this up during a 40% off sale and I combined it with a coupon, which means I got it for next-to-nothing. I am really glad I didn't spend more on this shadow, because it was such a disappointment. Now don't get me wrong: I LOVE my Color Pearls shadow in Sinful Sinnamon but Bronze Blowout failed for me for a few reasons:

First, the fallout is excessive. Second, the darker shade, though quite nice, is just so reminiscent of about 20 other eyeshadows I already own. I was hoping this shade would be kind of unique, but it's really just a standard bronze.

The third thing I dislike about this shadow is that you get so much less of the darker, more wearable shade, and so much more of the messy shade. But here's the thing: not all of these compacts are created equal. I have noticed that in some compacts, you get more of the darker shade and less of the lighter shade, so if you're going to make a purchase, BEWARE! Decide on the shade you like the most, and then go through your drugstore's inventory until you find a compact that gives you more of that shade and less of the other. Very rarely have I seen one of these compacts where the colors are divided equally. Usually, you will get more of one color and less of another.

Next up, let's talk about these lip balms:

Nivea A Kiss of Shimmer Pearly Shimmer Lip Care (left)
Nivea A Kiss of Moisture Hydrating Lip Care SPF 4 (right)

I bought these back when just about every drugstore chain had them on sale for 99-cents each. I still see these go on sale all the time, and I also see coupons and rebates for them just about every week. Since they seem to be practically giving them way these days, I surely hope that means that Nivea is planning a major overhaul of their lip balm line because these just don't cut the mustard for me.

Let's start with A Kiss of Shimmer. Try "A kiss of weird white cast on your lips". Seriously? It looks kind of shimmery at first, but after about ten minutes, it looked like I had applied a glue stick to my lips. Plus, it did nothing at all to help keep my lips moisturized. In fact, this lip balm ultimately leaves my lips feeling drier than before I used it.

Moving on to A Kiss of Moisture. If this is moisture, I'll stick with dryness, thankyouverymuch. I really can't remember using another lip balm that has had such a reverse affect on my lips. I tried using this at a time when my lips weren't even that dry to begin with, and guess what? They got even drier once this balm wore off. No healing effects whatsoever, and what's the deal with SPF 4? Couldn't they have given us at least SPF 10?

And please don't get me started on the fragrance and flavor of these balms. It's as if Nivea just used the exact same fragrance AND flavor of their lotions when they made these lip balms. Really! A Kiss of Moisture tastes like body lotion. I get a strange plastic flavor whenever I use this balm, and it's quite unpleasant. Am I crazy here? Does anyone else notice this? I can't imagine I'm the only one to have this experience.

If any of these products have worked for YOU, please please leave a comment here and let me know what I'm missing. I really wish they had worked for me, but I'm afraid they're going straight into the blah pile.
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I never tried the Maybelline duos although I was a bit tempted to. I like the two quads I have very much though [taupe temptress and copper chic]!

    I have both of the nivea lipbalms. I actually really like the kiss of moisture one and I'm basically done with it [a teeny tiny bit left]. Its moisturizing and light and I don't think it makes my lips more chapped. On the other hand, I really agree with you on the kiss of shimmer. Its quite terrible. Not moisturizing and bad color or shimmer or whatever they call it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Nivea A Kiss of Flavor Cherry Tinted Lip Care. This does nothing as far as moisturizing goes. That is the least of its problems. I got it because it was red and I thought it would be a nice option to get sheer red lips without having to wear a heavier lipstick. Well, it gives you red lips, but not an appealing color. It gives you "I just got done eating a red Popsicle and rubbing it all over my mouth" red lips. It's this fake candy red that is not flattering at all. Plus, it smells overly sweet. I reminds me of those Ludens Cherry throat drops. Blech. I'm glad you reviewed the others because I've been thinking about trying different ones. I think I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with the Nivea lip balms. They are a waste of money..and I haven't tried that particular Maybelline eye shadow but I do have one the has 3 colors that I got at the CVS beauty sale and it's got a ton of fallout and isn't hardly pigmented..I like to apply it wet and that helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the khaki Maybelline duo and really love it. :D But I've only seen good reviews of that particular one anyway. And I've seen some bad reviews of the Bronze Blowout duo...

    I really don't like the light blue Nivea lip balm, but the dark blue is one of my favorites! I like to put it on at night because it's really thick, so it's still on my lips when I wake up in the morning. And I have to say, I actually like the Nivea glosses... They're nice and understated and while I wouldn't say they're as moisturizing as the C.O. Bigelow mentha glosses, they're good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked up the black/pink and the green/gold one. It's odd, mine are perfectly lined up and 50-50. Guess I just got lucky. I have tried them once or twice and they're ok, no complaints. Any bulbously rounded eyeshadow is going to get all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you about the Nivea lip balms. I had A Kiss of Moisture (light blue) and A Kiss of Protection (yellow tube) and they're not worth full price, let alone 99 cents. I found the consistency too thin and slippery. The balm stays on my lips for about 5 minutes then vanishes, leaving my lips drier than before. I wasn't a fan of the scent either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry that these didnt work out for you, but this review is hilarious. I mean glue lipstick, strange plastic flavor? Way to go Nivea! lol I'm not a big balm girl though, although I am just recently seeing the benefits of it under lip gloss. I know, I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work at a grocery store and it seems that my lips are constantly getting dry, so I have one in my pocket at all times. I bought the Nivea ones at Target since they came in a pack of two for only $1.50, but it doesn't seem to moisturize at all for me. I remember reading all the articles about the evils of the ingredients in carmex, but apparently those people have never tried those other lip balms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with you on the Nivea lip balms! I went a little crazy when Rite Aid or Wags had them BOGO. I used BOGO coupons, so I only paid tax on them (but even that is too much for this crap).

    The Kiss of Shimmer is a really unflattering shade of pink, and it applies unevenly. The scent of Kiss of Cherry is nauseating--it smells like a Fruit Roll Up. And the tint of it made my lips look like I colored my lips in with a red marker.

    Thanks so much for the warning on the Maybelline e/s!! I will be saving my money and passing on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm... I neve was really interested in the Color Pearl eyeshadows, I would rather try out the palettes! They seem to be a better value.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SPF 4?!! You've got to be kidding me! Doesnt that skin cancer association say the lowest you should go is 15? I agree about the color pearls. I have carbon frost and I'm not sure I can make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the Nivea spf 30 lip balm. It's hard and leaves a white residue on your lips! It has a vaseline taste and it's quite tacky. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am wondering if you know about Maybelline contest and giveaway.

    Because I am a subscriber to a guru on Youtube, the guru told us that we can go to Maybelline FB fan page to enter the contest.

    http://www.facebook.com/#!/maybellinenewyork?v=app_400454985567&ref=ts

    You can vote for your favorite looks and you will be enter into the giveaway. I believe you will win the entired line of Maybelline Eyestudio (Do not hold me on that). I just know that you will win awesome prizes from Maybelline. So what to lose right?

    Just checkout the link above. I been voting for my guru. If you would like to vote for her: please vote for Leighton Meester -inspired Gossip Girls makeup, and Avril Lavigne's Underground -inspired makeup. I really think she did an excellent job.

    So Just want to share the news with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those Nivea lipbalms - *shudders* I bought one. I cannot get past the smell of it. They should have never made it smell the same as the lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok so a month ago I totally would have agreed with you about the Nivea Kiss of Moisture BUT I recently got this weird *line* of dryness across my bottom lip. It was almost like a scab but not as gross as it sounds, lol. Anyway i went through every balm I had for days trying to find something to help me get rid of it. I usually put on Vaseline Lip Therapy before bed but it wasn't helping at all. I decided to give the KoM another shot and low and behold it fixed my problem! So moral of the story, don't throw it out. It might be perfect one day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey ladies! OK, things I have learned from your comments:

    1. Stay far away from Nivea Kiss of Cherry. Yikes!

    2. I am not losing my mind when it comes to the weirdness of Kiss of Shimmer. Whew!

    3. Some of you really enjoy Kiss of Moisture, and it works well for you. Congrats! I think if I could get past the taste and smell, I would be open to giving it another try. But honestly, it just tastes so strongly of lotion to my taste buds that I can't use it without feeling a little woozy. :(

    Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been so blah about make up in general recently. None of it appeals to me, I went all of last week without wearing any nail polish (well, clear base coat for protectant), and I'm considering stopping wearing mascara. I have these phases every so often, I'm not sure what brings them on though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i also tried kiss of moisture and hated it, but i really like kiss of milk and honey and kiss of recovery.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig