Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 4, 2010

Review: New Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Palettes

If there's only one thing that you're going to take away from this review today, I hope it's this: matte eyeshadow fans, you NEED one of these Wet n Wild Color Icon Eyeshadow Palettes. If you really trust me, you can just stop reading now and get one the next time you're at the drugstore. But if you're not fully convinced, by all means, please read this review! :)

As you all probably know by now, I received several different products from the Wet n Wild 2010 makeover to review (so you can expect more reviews to come), but these palettes were the first products (aside from the nail polishes!) that I had to immediately try:

Wet n Wild Color Icon Lust (with flash)

Lust (without flash)

I've mentioned many times on this blog that I have a hard time pulling off plums and purples, but that certainly didn't stop me from tearing into this palette. Especially when there are three lovely mattes and three lovely "effects shades" in each of these palettes. I don't know about you, but I think these shades are gorgeous, especially this little lovely:


I know there's a MAC shade that's very similar to this. Anyone? Anyone? What is the name of that darn shade?

Anyway, unlike the new Maybelline Plush EyeStudio palettes (click here for my review of those), I am VERY happy to report that the effects of these shadows are not surface-level only. When you swipe these for the first time, the prettiness does NOT disappear.

Here are some swatches on my arm:


And of course a close-up of the shimmers:


Now what you can't see is that the first "effects shade" at the top of this swatch (the cream shade), has teeny tiny silver sparkles blended throughout. So it's a matte with just a hint of specialness. The middle shade is that gorgeous black with tons of plum micro-glitter, and then the bottom shade is the deep blackish-silver shimmer (the only true frost in this palette).

So let's talk about those mattes, shall we? They're AWESOME! And this is coming from a longtime matte eyeshadow fan. Over the years, I've come to find that the best matte eyeshadows for me are Bobbi Brown, Avon, and MAC. Personally, those three brands give me the least amount of trouble when it comes to finicky mattes that sometimes need special attention when applied. If you're a matte eyeshadow person, you know that mattes can sometimes leave little ugly patches of inconsistent color on your lids, even if you're wearing a primer. So it is with all the excitement I have in me that I tell you that the mattes in these new Color Icon palettes are freaking AMAZING. They are buttery smooth and they glide across your lids like they were made especially for YOU. And the best part? I didn't need a primer with these babies. Seriously, I applied them to bare skin and they were perfection. So easy to blend, so easy to work with, I am amazed that WnW can sell them for so little money. Matte girls, you need these.

Oh and one word of advice about matte eyeshadows: In my experience of using matte shadows for oh, well, 20+ years, mattes apply best when you use a sponge-tip applicator. You can definitely use a brush for blending, but for initial application, try using the applicator that comes with this palette. It's great. Oh, and here's a pic of the applicators that come with each palette:


Let's move on to the other palette I received, which is Vanity:

Vanity (with flash)

(without flash)

Again, you get three matte shades on the left and three "effects shades" on the right. Ladies, I am straight up addicted to this palette. If you've an earthtone girl, you will love this one. It's just so versatile and like the other palette, you do not need a primer to get beautiful results and these babies last all darn day without a primer, even on my oily, crease-prone lids.

Here's a swatch on my arm:


Unlike the Lust palette, the three "effects shades" in Vanity are true frosty shimmers through and through. And I'm telling you, they can hold their own against MAC frosts any day of the week. In my humble opinion, they are just as shimmery, just as pigmented, and just as effortless to work with as MAC frosts (and I own a lot of MAC frosts, let me tell you). If I were blindfolded and someone handed me a brush loaded with one of these WnW frosts, and then handed me a brush loaded with a MAC frost, I would not be able to tell the difference when applying them to my lids.

And as for the mattes in Vanity, well, I am going to tell you something you may not like to hear, but I know I'm not alone in this because a dear reader echoed what I'm about to say in a recent comment. These mattes perform better than MAC mattes. There. I said it. And I mean it. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a matte eyeshadow person and have been for over 20 years. I know my mattes, and these WnW mattes are pure perfection. I defy you to find a matte that is more buttery smooth, easier to apply and has better staying power than these. I have had several issues with MAC mattes in the past, and I have not had ONE issue with any of the mattes in either of these WnW palettes. The quality of these mattes just cannot be beat, which make the low price even more insane.

So like I said at the beginning of this review, if you're a matte eyeshadow fan, you NEED one of these palettes. And remember that the key to applying the mattes in the palette is to use the sponge-tip applicator that comes with them. I think you'll be amazed by the ease of application, the pigmentation, the quality and the staying power of these little eyeshadows.

As always I would love to hear your thoughts--and please chime in if you already own a new Wet n Wild eyeshadow palette!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. Whoa! That first one is really pretty! We haven't gotten the new WandW here net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I didn't think much of these in the store but your review is making me want to try the neutral palette... are you planning to do a look with these sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had decided I was only going to get the Greed palette but after your review I'm seriously lemming Vanity. A wnw bogo sale better happen soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW EXCITING!! Love it when I read a positive review for such inexpensive products. Will run out and get some as soon as possible!! I love mattes - and thanks for your tip w/ the sponge brush. Will definitely check it out - but you are right, they do need special attention! And these things perform better than MAC you say?? Impossible! Guess I have to try it out myself. I do own one MAC shadow - sketch - and although it is a gorgeous shade, the texture and quality disappointed me a little. I really thought it was gonna be more like smooth and velvet. The texture isn't bad but I thought it was gonna be like "heaven". Man, I don't mean to make this a long comment - BUT I also want to say that WnW's shadows are amazing to blend. My biggest criticism with their old palettes is that there is no matte shades. If what you say is true (staying power and pigmentation), then I must MUST get myself some of these babies as soon as possible. Thanks again! Sorry for this long rambliness!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog, love the review you do as well. Check out my review for "Greed" Wet n Wild..lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure that eyeshadow in the Lust palette that you were thinking was a Mac dupe is a dupe for Beauty Marked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you may have already heard me rant about not much loving the quality of MAC shadows for the price - so this is good news for me! I am lusting after both of these palettes. I actually saw the palettes in the store the other day while I was looking for the polishes, I almost got one! I LOVE a good buttery matte shade. LOVE. So thank you for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must have the Vanity palette now! That is gorgeous. The last three shades in the pic look very much like the Urban Decay shadows in the "Get Baked" palette.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow those look nice. I'm sure they are better than MAC matte shadows. I'm not a big fan of the ones I own. Can't wait to buy these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbelievable....I got these exact two like 2 weeks ago...I must say WnW has stepped up their eyeshadow game...I love them. Great quality and very nice colors, the matte colors really are pigmented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want those eyeshadows! Our town doesn't have any of the new stuff yet. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle: I hope you get these soon because I can't wait for you to see them in person. :)

    J: Honestly, I think you will be VERY happy with these if you get one. And sure! I can do an eye look if you want to see one! Which palette would you like me to use? :)

    Mimsy: *whispers* get it...get it... LOL!!! And you know there'll be a BOGO soon so don't forget about Vanity when it comes around. I think you will LOVE. :)

    ndoodles: I am SO happy that you're as excited about these as I am! I *promise* that you are going to LOVE the mattes, and I really do mean it when I say that for me, they perform SO much better than MAC mattes, which are nice, but have their quirks. As you know, the texture of MAC mattes isn't always as buttery and smooth as it SHOULD be. So get ready to be blown away when you see how buttery and silky these WnW mattes are. I cannot WAIT to hear how you like them when you get them! :)

    YankeeNaijaChick: Why thank you!! I will definitely check out your review of Greed! :)

    Anon: BEAUTY MARKED!! That's IT!!! Thank you SO much. That was bugging me! lol. :)

    Nicole: I totally understand what you mean--especially the quality of some of their darn mattes (chalky and not smooth on application). So given how you feel about those, I really, really think you'll LOVE these. I can't wait to hear what you think, honey! :)

    dangerkitty: If you get one, you MUST tell me what you think of it...it's mandatory, ok? ;) I neeed to know that you like these as much as I do! lol. Also, I am so lame when it comes to knowing my UD palettes, so thanks for making that connection! xo

    The Princessa: Oooh, I REALLY want to know what you think of these if you get one, since you have experience with those pesky lil' MAC mattes! Can't wait to see what you think! :)

    rayqueenbee: OMG, that is too funny! And yes, they have REALLY stepped up their game with these babies. And you're right--they are so pigmented it's hard to believe that they're just a few bucks a piece!

    lovejoy: I really, really hope you see these soon in your town. I have a feeling you are going to love them when you see them in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, the mattes are better than MAC's. :X

    ReplyDelete
  14. woah these two palletes are a beauty...I love them both. The colors from the first pallete remind me of colors I seen in Mac ES. Love the review. Do u know how much they are? I been to Walgreens a couple times this week, and they have no new items on shelf yet. The one I went to today have new nail polish shades in ur last review, and I want to buy it so badly, but trying to save couples cent by waiting to see if it appear in Target.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i saw these at walgreens today and I wondered what NouveauCheap thought of them since I saw you preview them on your page. Boy am I glad you said these were better than Mac, that is so exciting. going to buy them as gifts! I liked how to added your credentials in there. i'm a fairly new reader so it helps that you say those things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. there are 5 dupes for mac es in lust: beauty marked, shadowy lady, fig 1, knight divine, and yogurt

    ReplyDelete
  17. EllenChristine: You are absolutely right! :D I'm so glad these are working for you, honey! xo

    ngocupham: Sorry for not listing the price in my review! They retail for $4.99, which I think is the same price as the old palettes, if I remember correctly? Hope that helps! :)

    Stephanie: You are so sweet!! Thank you so much for you comment. I really hope this review helps you to decide if you want to make a purchase, and I think they would make a great gift for anyone who loves eyeshadows. :)

    Anon: Oooh, thanks for the tip! I think the only shade I own of the ones you mentioned is Yogurt. I'll have to try and dig it up to see how it compares. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still no new Wet N Wild stuff here >:[ Every time I go to Walgreens I run over to the WNW stand all excited for nothing. You make me want so much stuff lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had high hopes for the Lust palette. I hated it - the bone and pink colors were really chalky, the colors were muddy and the deep matte plum shade had little color pay off. It took some serious layering to get it right. Oh and the metallic silver-grey crumbled in the pan. And the fall out was excessive.
    I reviewed it on my blog - I guess we both had very different experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heather: Awww, I'm sorry that you dont' have these yet. I HATE it when that happens. :( And sorry for being such a bad (but good!) influence. lol. xo

    All The Pretty Things: Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your experience with these. I'm wondering if you got a bad palette because I would categorize the mattes as anything BUT chalky. I'm just stunned. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. The MAC shadow dupe in the Lust palette you were looking for is Beauty Marked. I'm so excited about these palettes, I am definitely getting these next pay check!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have all four of these palettes and I love them all! I cannot believe the pigmentation and quality, they're a combination of butter and silk - if that's even possible? I own many high end and drugstore brand eye shadows and these surpass all of them, I reach for them daily. Love your blog by the way, I found it via Makeup Alley. :) I am always on the hunt for awesome drugstore finds and dupes. Its my obsession!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I'm going to have to get Lust! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love these! I have Lust and Vanity. They are definitely going to be travel essentials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. ok so this comment is a bit late...but I noticed this recently. The 'effects' shades on both of our lust palettes go in the same order- white, sparkly black, and gunmetal.
    But then I've seen on a few other blogs and on the actual w'n'w website that the sparkly black is supposed to go last! I was wondering if you had noticed it as well. If you want to see a blog that has a picture of a palette different than ours, I found one on makeupmoment. just find her review on the lust palette

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig