Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, January 3, 2010

I got The Scrublet (and some Maybelline EyeStudio stuff too!!)

OMG, I am exhausted! I went to three different CVS locations today looking for the semi-annual beauty clearance sale, and I'm SO sad to report that it's not happening in San Diego (yet). I spoke with several different employees and some said, "Huh?" when I mentioned the sale, others said, "Oh yeah, I remember that from last year. I don't know when we're having it again this year" while others said, "I don't think we're having it this year." So if you have the sale going on in your area right now, consider yourself lucky! Just take a look at what my lovely readers are reporting that they've scored (click here). I am sooooo jealous!

My CVS locations didn't have ANY clearance stickers on ANYTHING (well, I did score a full-size bag of Christmas M&Ms for 99 cents because I just so happened to be standing there when the guy was changing the 50% off signs to 75% off!). But other than that, no clearance goodies for moi.

BUT, I was able to find The Scrublet display! (Click here if you have no idea what I'm talking about.) And since I had that $1 off any L'Oreal product coupon that I got in the mail, combined with the $1 off any L'Oreal product that I printed out from the CVS website, I was able to save two bucks on The Scrublet! Whoo hoo! I paid $4.99 (regular price: $6.99).




Now, I stood at the display trying to figure out which formula to get for about 10 minutes. To be perfectly honest, the ingredients in each formula didn't really wow me. The clear formulas (there's a green, normal formula and an orange exfoliating formula) each contained not one, but TWO different types of SLS, and the exfoliating formula had menthol in it, which sometimes causes breakouts on my skin. So I moved over to the creamy formulas and I didn't like that the regular cream cleanser also had menthol, which left me with one choice: the creamy cleanser for sensitive skin. This formula only contains one form of SLS and it's the 7th ingredient on the list, so it's not like it's loaded with it. Also, it contains shea butter and no menthol. Yay! I should also add that none of these cleansers contain parabens, which is great.

Here's a sneak peek at The Scrublet itself:



It really does pop right out and it easily fits back in the hole when you're done. I've got to say, I am obsessed with the texture of The Scrublet. It's this SUPER soft, very pliable, jelly-like rubber. It's got such a cool texture that I just want to keep playing with it like it's Silly Putty or something!

Anyway, I am going to test it tonight and continue using it for five days. After I'm done I'll post my review, so definitely check back here next week if you want to see how it goes!

So even though I didn't see tons of clearance goodies at CVS today, I did get The Scrublet and I also FINALLY saw the Maybelline EyeStudio displays! Yay!!!! CVS is having a BOGO 50% off on Maybelline right now, so I picked up two items. Here's what I got:


Maybelline Lasting Drama By EyeStudio Gel Eyeliner in "Brown"

I apologize for the crappy condition of this product in the picture, but my CVS insists on wrapping everything in clear packing tape to affix their security stickers. If I peel off the tape, the label will come off too, so I had to keep it intact to take this pic.

Anyway, this gel liner retails for $9.99, which I think is steep compared to the two gel liners I currently love (Wet n Wild and Coastal Scents). But the packaging says that it's "Intense Color, Waterproof and Smudgeproof" so how can I NOT test this? Plus it comes with a good-sized brush. So please stay tuned because I'll definitely post a review after I've tried it a few times.

Next I got one of the EyeStudio Quads:


Maybelline EyeStudio Quad in "Irresistibly Ivy"

First of all, these darn CVS anti-theft stickers are driving me BONKERS. I tried so hard to peel this one off but it was impossible (I guess if they made it easy to peel off then it would defeat the purpose, right?). Anyway, the first thing that shocked me about these quads is the size. They're so small for $9.99! I guess after only seeing pics online, I had it in my head that these were much larger. I put a tube of Revlon lipstick in this shot so you can see how it compares. I'm not joking when I say that three of the pans in this quad equal ONE CoverGirl eyeshadow single. And I don't like that you get almost double the amount of the lightest shade in the quad, compared to the darker shades. I don't know about you, but the lightest shades of eyeshadow in ANY palette I own are the ones that barely get used. It doesn't make sense--they should have made the medium shade the biggest pan of all, right? Kind of a bummer, but the colors are flipping gorgeous so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have good texture, pigmentation and staying power, which will make this purchase very worthwhile. Of course I will review this after I've tested it out a few times, so check back if you're curious.

I also saw the EyeStudio Baked Eyeshadow display, but to be perfectly honest, none of the colors really wowed me. I can't even believe I'm saying that since I'm a baked eyeshadow NUT these days, but $6.99 for one eyeshadow seemed kind of steep when I already had these two $9.99 products in my basket. My luck, it will turn out that the baked shadows are the MUST-HAVE product from the EyeStudio collection. lol. Please tell me I didn't make a bad decision today!

I also want to let you guys know that the winner of my Cheapie Award for Best Body Wash released in 2009, Tone Blueberry Antioxidant, is on sale for $3.99 at CVS this week (regular price: $4.99), and if you purchase it you get two CVS Extra Bucks. Yay! You know that went RIGHT into my shopping basket!

So that's it for now, but I obviously have a lot of testing to do this week! In the meantime, what do you think of the products I purchased? Do you already own any of them? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. You may want to just start price scanning things. The first CVS we went to today had clearance stickers on bunches of stuff (including those awesome Revlon matte lipsticks all the darker shades, $1.99!) The second CVS didn't have stickers on anything, but I took some things I knew were clearanced at the previous CVS to the price scanner and they were ringing up the same as the other CVS... So maybe all the prices are in and they just haven't gotten around to stickering them yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that cvs stickers drives me nut as well, and it's more annoying when the do it on milani as it just got stuck in the lid forever...Many time the first thing I do before buying is trying to get rid of the stickers...

    The Maybelline Quad would be the one I pick (but I kind of hate Maybelline and have quite a few eyeshadow from other brands I like) since I do like the teal in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that quad looks pretty. I wound up joining the cvs thing earlier and how in heck did I not know about cvs being so full of awesome before now? Im sure its cause I live in the south, but I will probably be ordering online at some point.

    By the way, be prepared to guard your scrublet with your life, I had to chase my husband off of it earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe sorry to hear you couldn't find anything on sales. No worries - you will. They usually do this to clear out items anyway!
    I think I will stop by sometime this week to just check out the good deals!
    Really excited to hear about the eyeshadow quad. But the size does disappoint at first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dying to try that Maybelline gel liner ever since I read it's supposed to be waterproof, but I'm trying to hold off until there's a bogo sale somewhere. Drugstore makeup prices are getting ridiculous!

    I can't wait to read your reviews on the new EyeStudio items :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loreal has really surprised me. I've seen the those cleansers in other sites and i can't wait to have one... i already get great cleansing action with my mini brush, but this is making me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I'm sorry you couldn't find a CVS in your area with the discounts. I'm in SD too, but I found a location (4S Ranch) that was having the sale. My first stop in RB didn't, and when I asked they didn't know what I was talking about either. I can't wait to hear what you think about the scrublet, as I saw it and was super interested. :) ~Liz~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just blog hopping and I noticed your post on the new Maybelline products. I've heard great things about the cream eyeliner (I heard it's the #1 selling eyeliner in Japan), as well as, I've been dying to get the Maybelline EyeStudio quads. I'm actually waiting for the BOGO Free sale... hehe~ :X I hope you do a swatch of the quad because I am curious to see the colors... hehe~

    I'm also sorry your CVS isn't have a sale. I think it depends on the CVS. The first one I went to wasn't good, but the second one I was happy with my purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I saw the eye quads at Walgreens I was surprised at how small they were too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs. Litz: Wow, that is a GREAT idea. I think I might stop by today and just scan a few products that have been listed by readers. Who knows, right? Thanks so much for the tip!! I'll definitely keep you posted. xo

    Citrine: Yeah, those stickers drive me bananas. lol. I love that teal shade as well. :)

    CthuLynny: Yay for getting your CVS card! You will be amazed at the extra savings you can score just from buying your usual products. :) As for the scrublet, the boyfriend was already saying, "Oh, what's THAT?" last night, the first time I used it. So you're totally right! lol. xo

    ndoodles: Glad you agree w/ me about the size of that quad. Such a letdown! As for the CVS sale, i totally remember last year they had a huge banner and it was a big deal, so I'm just thinking they HAVE to have it again here at some point. I'll try to wait patiently. lol.

    Mimsy: I am right there with you about the prices on these new drugstore products. It just doesn't pay to buy on impulse--you HAVE to wait for a BOGO or you might as well just buy MAC or something, right? lol. :)

    Elena: Even though it sounds like you don't need the scrublet, I am delighted to hear that it's available in your country! YAY! Usually I feel so bad when i talk about something new and you let me know that it's unavailable where you live. At least you CAN get this if you want it, right? xo

    Liz: OMG, I didn't know you were in SD! Yay for fellow SD girls! And thank you for telling me this!! So there IS a CVS in SD that's running this sale. Incredible! Too bad 4S is super far away from where I am (even I have my limits when it comes to getting a good deal. lol) but this gives me hope that the sale will drift its way down across the county soon. You just totally made my day. Thank you!!

    Ahleessa: Wow, thank you for all the great info. I had no idea about this liner being the #1 selling liner in Japan. That makes me SUPER excited to try it! Yay!!! Thanks again for stopping by to tell me that! :)

    HSG: I'm SO glad I am not alone with my shock and minor disappointment about the size of these quads. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The price on those Maybelline Quads made me step back. $10? Woooo....!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found the clearance but it dissapointed me -- none of the great stuff everyone else was talking about! Only select shades and usually the darker shades of things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pan of eyeshadows looks like a dupe for Urban Decay's Get Baked eyeshadow pan.. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a beauty advisor at Walgreens and I was at work today and purchased a lot of good stuff by Sally Hansen...I was literally paying 50 cents for some stuff. You should really go to Walgreens. There are orange stickers EVERYWHERE and they are releasing 500 new clearance item stickers every week. This is a yearly thing for us and the sales this week are ridiculously good. Felt compelled to tell you---I like the reviews you do

    ReplyDelete
  15. My local CVS didn't have anything flashy up - there was one smallish sign in the beauty department, but no big promo or anything.

    I have that eyestudio liner but mine's still unopened in the package, haha. I'm kind of saving it for when I'm really in the mood for something new. The mascaras they launched with Eyestudio are total fails, imo - I bought one of the allegedly waterproof ones and it raccooned on me worse than any Maybelline I've ever owned. I got a baked shadow duo and I like the solid side, but the marbled side was mostly shimmer. I eagerly await your thoughts on the quad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jamie: I am RIGHT there with you. Unless these have incredibly pigmentation, staying power and texture, they are going RIGHT back to CVS. lol. :)

    PB: I'm so sorry that you didn't find anything good at your location. Have you tried other locations? Because I swear it's BLOWING UP depending on where you go. lol. :)

    Anon: WOW, thank you so much for the fantastic "insider tip". I am so going to post about this so that my readers know what's going on over at Walgreens. That's FANTASTIC and I'll be sure to hop on over to my local Walgreens this week! Thanks a million for that, and for reading my blog. It means a lot that you're enjoying my reviews, especially since you're a beauty advisor! I'm honored! :) xo

    Beck: Wow, at least your location HAD a sign. Mine had NADA! lol. OMG, thank you for the tip on those new mascaras. It sounds like they haven't really changed or improved the formula since the original XXLs, which TOTALLY suck in my humble opinion. What a bummer and you totally saved me from even bothering with them! And THANK YOU for letting me know about the baked shadows. I'm not nearly as bummed about passing them up now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig