Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, January 4, 2010

Review: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind "The Eraser" Treatment Makeup

Hands down, this is the most difficult product review I've ever had to write. I've been using this product for seven days straight now, and I STILL don't know exactly how I feel about it. So let me just explain to you my experience and hopefully you can figure out whether or not you think this product might work for you (warning: this is a long and rather detailed review so if you're looking for a quick "pros and cons" review, you've come to the wrong place because I just simply can't break it down like that).

If you saw my "Drugstore Sightings" post from a few weeks back, you know that I was very excited when I saw this new display at my local Walgreens:




Maybelline Instant Age Rewind The Eraser Treatment Makeup SPF 18

Available in twelve shades (plus one primer--the white tube on the far right in the above pic), the "twist" to this new foundation is the applicator, which is the fuzzy little head at the top of the bottle. I HAD to get one!

I purchased 130 Buff Beige (retail: $12.99 at Walgreens), which is the second-to-lightest shade in the range, and turns out it's a pretty good match for my NC20 skin.



Here are some close-up shots of the applicator:







I tried very hard to capture the texture of the applicator but let me just tell you that it's probably my favorite thing about this foundation. It's SUPER soft and fuzzy and it's very padded so no matter how much pressure you apply to your face, it's not going to feel sharp or hurt--it's just nice and soft. For those of you who might be scared that "fuzzy" means you run the risk of this depositing little bits of fuzz on your face, rest assured that this does NOT shed at ALL. It's extremely clean. In fact, the label states that it's a special anti-microbial applicator and it should NOT be cleaned with water--you simply wipe it with a DRY tissue if you need to remove any excess product from the applicator.

Here's a shot of the inside label:



As with your standard click-pen lipgloss (think Stila or e.l.f.) you need to give this foundation several twists (clicks) before the product starts to make its way through the applicator. But unlike a lipgloss pen, you cannot see when this product starts to make its way to the top. In other words, I had no idea that the product was ALMOST about to appear, so I kept on clicking away and accidentally clicked a LARGE amount out of the applicator for my very first use. Great.

Anyway, I couldn't wait to start applying this to my face so I started to gently rub it on...and rub...and rub...and boy I used WAY too much because this thing was slipping and sliding all over the place. I finally decided to wash it all off and start again because it was just ridiculous. So be warned--do NOT overclick (although I have no way of telling when it's time to stop clicking because you cannot see it coming!).

Take two: I clicked TWICE and that seemed like a good amount of product on the applicator. I started rubbing gently and noticed that the foundation is light in both texture and coverage. During application, this feels very much like a tinted moisturizer to me (it's got that same weightless quality). For something called "The Eraser" I guess I was hoping that it would instantly cover all my imperfections, but that's not the case (at least for me). For any of you hoping that this might take the place of your current concealer and foundation, I'm afraid to have to tell you that you will most definitely still need to use concealer before using this product (unless you never used concealer in the first place, in which case you have flawless skin and I don't think I want to know you. Just kiddin'!).

A picture's worth a thousand words, so I'm now going to show you a VERY scary shot of the skin on my cheek area (including the under-eye area and closer to my nose) so that you can see what my skin looks like without any makeup at all:



As you can see, I have old acne scars on my skin, dark under-eye circles, a few wrinkles under my eyes (hey, I'm 39!) and like a lot of you, enlarged pores on the skin closest to my nose. NOT a pretty picture, indeed.

Here is what that area looked like immediately after applying The Eraser (no concealer was used before-hand):


As you can see, it DID cover up some of the redness, and it filled in my pores, which I LOVE. But as for the dark circles, not even close to being "erased". Nor were the wrinkles, but I never really had high hopes for that.

Something VERY important that I want to tell you at this point is that The Eraser's applicator makes it so you really do NOT EVER have to use your fingers, a foundation brush, sponge, ANYTHING to further blend this product once you apply it. I literally could apply this and blend, blend, blend to my heart's content with the applicator without ever having to use my finger for additional blending. For that, The Eraser ROCKS.

But because of my oily skin, I could not walk out of the house wearing just The Eraser. For me, an application of powder afterward is a necessity. I really wish Maybelline had included a new Instant Age Rewind setting powder to go along with this foundation because it REALLY needs it. And here's why:



Do you see the improvement of my pores in this pic? That's because I used a light dusting of one of my current favorite powders, Palladio Rice Powder in "Natural" which is a yellow-hued, finely-milled powder that really does a great job of locking everything in place. Plus it minimizes pores and keeps my skin shine-free for hours without giving my skin a cakey makeup look or feel to it. But again, I would love to see what Maybelline could come up with had they chosen to release an accompanying powder in this new line.

So after wearing The Eraser with my Palladio powder, I knew I had to try with a good application of concealer beforehand. I currently use Maybelline's SuperStay concealer, which I love (review to come) and that made QUITE the different. I could conceal my dark circles, old acne scars and general redness so that I could focus on what The Eraser brings to the table (which is not a deep concealing of skin flaws).

What The Eraser DOES is bring a lightness and consistency to my skin. It's got sheer to medium coverage on its own, which could be a deal-breaker for those who prefer full coverage. BUT, I need to tell you that for what it is, this is a very nice foundation. After seven days of use, I can tell you that it gives the skin a sort of soft-focus prettiness. Things look softer when you wear this, and it does not settle into fine lines. More mature skin will appreciate that this foundation won't give you that cakey look (don't you hate it when foundation seems to FIND your flaws and camp out there?).

Also, I want to talk about the "Treatment" part of this foundation, which I think is just stellar. After one hour of wearing this, I happened to touch my face and was BLOWN AWAY but how SOFT it felt. As the day progressed, it was as if my skin had turned to silk, which is something I've never experienced with any other foundation. It actually feels like this foundation is improving the texture of my skin, which is a little mind-blowing. I attribute this to the "concentrated formula of goji berry + collagen" which, after seven days, seem to be working wonders on my dry, winter skin. I find myself actually looking forward to the feeling of having this foundation on, because it's feather-light and it truly makes my skin much softer than before I applied it. And that soft feeling intensifies for me the longer I wear it.

So for whom do I think this foundation would be a perfect fit? I'd say that if you have mature skin and you already have a good concealer that works to cover up any major skin flaws, you should try The Eraser. I think you might be quite impressed with the softness and brightness this can give you face, and with a light dusting of powder, this foundation did not fade or change color throughout the day.

For those of you with younger skin, I think you will love this foundation as well, if you are already accostumed to wearing tinted moisturizers or foundations that have a feather-light feel to them. Plus the SPF 18 is always a great, added bonus.

Regardless of your skin needs, I can recommend this foundation for one thing: the "Treatment" part of it. It really is amazing and you will probably be surprised at how soft your skin feels after wearing this for a little while. That is really the thing that I can't seem get over--it's amazing what this does for my skin.

But for those of you who require full coverage, that's where I'm conflicted. I am a full-coverage kind of girl, and because this doesn't instantly "erase" everything that needs to be erased on my face, I can't tell you that you will love this. I tried building for more coverage but it was a dicey process because the more you rub on, the greater the chance that it DOES become cakey. I found that when I laid it on thick, this foundation sat in little puddles in my pores. Not a good look.

So the trick with The Eraser is to use the smallest amount possible (which is actually recommended right on the label) and blend like crazy. If you already have a good concealer and powder, then by all means I think it's worth giving this product a try--especially if you prefer a very light, feather-like quality to your foundations.

I hope this helps some of you better determine whether or not you'd consider giving The Eraser a shot. I know I'm not definitively saying "Yes!" or "No!" but if you've already a fan of my blog, you know it's just not that simple for me to do. Especially with something as personal as foundation. :)
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. When I saw this on the shelf the first thing I thought was, "that's going to be a germ magnet". How are you supposed to clean that off?

    The treatment part sounds interesting but my skin is soft anyway:)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HSG: As I tried to show on the inside of the label, it says that it's a special anti-microbial applicator that does not require cleaning. In fact, they say that you should NOT use water to clean it, just a dry tissue if you need to remove excess product. So if you get it, definitely do NOT try to clean it or you could end up contaminating the special anti-microbial coating! :)

    Because of the light quality of this foundation, it doesn't look like you'll actually want or need to clean it. After seven days of using this, the applicator feels exactly as soft as it did the first time I used it--it doesn't cake up or harden at all. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the excellent review! I haven't worn foundation since high school, but I have been thinking of purchasing some. Since EVERYONE has a camera ALL of the time, I would like to have something just to even things out a bit. I think I'll give this a try! I love the no mess, no clean up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is age rewind, not cover up....it plumps the skin to hide those lines around your nose and chin. It works instantly! Also great for under eye, not necessarily . I found it's not good to use for a prolonged period without a break because the plumping started to make me look a little bloated.

      Delete
    2. This is age rewind, not cover up....it plumps the skin to hide those lines around your nose and chin. It works instantly! Also great for under eye, not necessarily . I found it's not good to use for a prolonged period without a break because the plumping started to make me look a little bloated.

      Delete
  4. awesome review! i have some reDONKulous acne scars and blemishes these days (CRY!) to cover and oil slick city so i probably won't be picking up this guy anytime soon, but thanks for the info. my mom or older sister might love this stuff! i appreciate how thorough you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm all excited to try mine! I wear the same color...of course!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review!! I'm suffering from extremely dry skin due to the harsh winter weather, so maybe the skin softening effects of this foundation might work for me! However, I do not own a concealer, since most of the ones I've tried before looked terribly obvious or got really cakey in my undereye area. I'll be looking forward to your review on the Maybelline Superstay concealer! It seems to me that the Maybelline Age Rewind Eraser is more of a "skin perfector" than a foundation, because it only perfects/enhances your skin instead of covering up all the flaws.

    ReplyDelete
  7. April and Ashley: You are so welcome! And I think, since you're not used to wearing foundation, this might be just the type of product for you. It can definitely give a polished look without the look of a heavy foundation, that's for sure. Keep me posted? xo

    Kellie: Why thank you, honey! I know I can get long-winded but I just always want to give everyone as much info and insight as possible. Thanks for having the patience to read through these types of reviews. And definitely let me know if you mom or sis like this, ok? xo

    Amber: Get to it, woman! I NEED to know if you agree with me on this one! xo

    Rita: Thank you! You TOTALLY called it--I would call this a skin perfector as well because it really doesn't cover the flaws like its name implies. It really makes me wonder why they chose "The Eraser" for the name...I think WE could have come up with a better, more aptly fitting name for it. lol. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am on the fence about this product. I have issues with oily skin, and acne....but because I have scars and my face gets dried out from the acne wash....I want to try it for the treatment part(and the fuzzy thing) and the quick application part is really appealing to me...

    But Im worried that liquid foundation would cause my acne to flare. Poo....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This seems to be very nice, think if I can find it in DK I will give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review. I guess I'll be skipping this one. Had high hopes for this though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo! Ok, now I really need to try this! I think it's hilarious that everything that you find not enough coverage/pigment, I love! I love TMs and I'm dry. I just hope it's pale/not yellow enough for me. That's my main problem with Maybelline face products.

    Thanks for the fab review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome review. Thanks for all the details. It is exactly what I was looking for about this foundation.

    I am excited to try this and see if it works on my skin. I am a bit disappointed that full-coverage is hard to achieve but it sounds like it is still worth it.

    Again, thanks!

    -Shay

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a GREAT review, and I agree with every point you made!

    We seem to have the same skin -- I got the same shade, and I have similar skin wants/needs (I'm a full-coverage gal as well). After having tried the tester on my hand, I loved how it felt, and felt compelled to pick it up ... and even after a few days, I'm still not sure if I love it or hate it LOL.

    I could never go w/o powder setting a liquid foundation, so I was already doing that ... but maybe I should try using my concealor BEFORE using this ... hmmm.

    I do love how it feels, and maybe I need to just keep on plugging along with it ... totally confused about this one, and this shouldn't be this difficult LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, gotta tell ya, putting on concealor PRIOR to using this foundation made all the difference in the world to me! Never in my life have I ever done this in reverse (I always put foundation 1st, concealor last), so it felt weird to go this route, but it worked!

    I also used way less (I must've missed that "use sparingly" part LOL), and then topped it off with the new PF Mineral Wear Correcting Powder (I hope you try this ... it's 3 shades of pink/green/yellow swirled together, & it's SO fab!), and my skin looked utterly incredible, no joke!

    So it looks like it's a keeper, and yes, my skin DOES feel softer, now that I'm thinking about it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm interested in trying this,since I'm dealing with some serious winter skin. Mos drugstore foundations are too dark/yellow for my skin, but I might grab this tomorrow when I go to Target. I'm going to get some stuff off the end of the year list you made and try the products out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cthulynny: Although I can't speak to whether or not this will cause a flair-up in acne (it didn't for me, but everyone's different of course) I can tell you that if you have dry skin patches, this doesn't settle into those as badly as other foundations do. So...it maybe worth a try for that alone? Keep me posted, ok? :)

    rijaH: Oh, welcome from Denmark! My boyfriend dreams of visiting Denmark some day. He's totally obsessed. lol! :) I am keeping my fingers crossed that you will be able to find this in your country soon! :)

    Connie: So what was it about my review that made you decide to skip it? The sheer/med coverage? That is the thing that bums ME out the most about it. lol. :)

    JT: That IS funny. I try to always repeat that I am a full-coverage kind of girl so that if you see me say it's not enough coverage for me, then you know why I'm saying it. I have a lot I want to cover up, and I'm SO jealous that you can wear TMs because they look horrid on me! LOL! I think you might really love The Eraser, even though it's not really a fitting name for this product. lol. Looking forward to seeing your review if/when you get it! xo

    Shay: You are so welcome! I really hope that you like it if/when you try it. And yes, I'm bummed that it's not full-coverage but it's great for what it is, I think! :)

    LipstickChick: WOW, I am SO happy to hear that my thoughts on this product pretty much match yours. That's wonderful! And you know, I have never once, in my entire life, applied concealer *after* foundation! It seems like it would get really caked up that way, because the concealers I own apply so smoothly to bare skin. I can imagine them not really interacting well when blended into a layer of foundation. Interesting to know that, up until now, this method has worked for you! It's crazy how you can learn something new about makeup every single day, isn't it? I might have to give your way a shot and see how it works! And i'm SO happy to hear that you are liking The Eraser when you use your concealer first. Talk about a save! And thank you so much for the quick review of that PF powder. I mentioned it in a previous drugstore sightings post but I didn't buy one. Looks like I'm going to have to go back and get some after what you said! lol! xo

    squidmarket: I'd love to know what you think of this, and any other goodies you purchase that I've mentioned here on my blog! Good luck and please keep me posted? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought it! I haven't used foundation since high school. But in a world where everyone has a camera ALL of the time, I thought it might be time to find a foundation.

    So far I love it. Thanks for all of the hard work that goes into your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. After using this several days I have to say I really like it. It does feel a little heavier than he mineral make-up I'm used to, but nothing bad. It makes my skin soft and doesn't flake off, smudge off, or get whisked away by oil. I agree it does need a matte finish powder over it, but overall I'm really happy. The lightest shade is a decent match to my skin. I'll use up the rest of my tube and decide from there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally saw this foundation (alongside the other new age defying makeup, I hope it is as good as the old cream one) at my local Walgreens. I'm waiting for a bogo, lol.

    I did saw the new Maybelline primer, have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just saw on the Maybelline website that they now have an Instant Age Rewind powder!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How do you go about picking the right drugstore foundation shade?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig