Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, October 3, 2013

From the Vintage Vault: Revlon Lip Glide Color Glosses


The most popular request I receive when it comes to this blog is, "Please do more Vintage Vault posts!" So even though there are always so many things to share with you and talk about here on a daily basis, this week I finally just put everything aside (other things can wait until tomorrow, right?) and wrote this blog post. I know, I know...long overdue, and I apologize for that!

For newer readers, let me give you a little background info about how the Vintage Vault series came to be. A few years ago, I uncovered a box of old cosmetics that I completely forgot I had tucked away in my spare bedroom. In that box were some of my favorite drugstore (and higher-end) beauty products from the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s. So I decided that, one by one, I'd show you everything in that box, as sort of a walk down memory lane.

So that's how it all began, and today I'd like to revisit an old favorite from Revlon: Lip Glides!


Revlon Lip Glides first debuted in drugstores in 2002. They had a nice, long run (gloss products seem to come and go quickly sometimes) until they were discontinued in 2008 or 2009...my memory's a little foggy on that one but I think they were discontinued in 2008.

Lip Glides were available in ten shades and you can see one of the magazine ads (featuring Halle Berry) right here if you'd like to see the other shades.


 Revlon Lip Glide in Ruby Slippers

The Lip Glides has a twist-up pen delivery system and the gloss came up through little holes in the sponge-tip applicator:


I'm not sure if this was the first time I had ever seen this type of delivery system at the drugstore (at that time, it could have been) but of course there have been several since then!


I remember falling in love with Ruby Slippers because it was one of the most pigmented gloss-type products I could find at the drugstore back in the early 2000s. I think this was actually my second or third tube of it! It was intensely pigmented, but the one thing  I remember not liking about it was that the staying power wasn't the greatest. I think I was lucky if it survived a full hour (which probably explains why I went through so many tubes). Also, the flavor and fragrance were sort of a "chemical-y" with a slight berry undertone. It still smells that way, all these years later.

Thanks for taking this walk down memory lane with me, and expect more Vintage Vault posts in the future. If you love these types of posts, click here to see all of my past Vintage Vault posts (when you get to the end of the page, click "older posts" and keep reading...you'll eventually see what the ORIGINAL Sinful Colors nail polish bottles looked like, if you don't remember them!).

Do you remember Revlon Lip Glides? Did you own any? If so, do you remember which shades you owned? 
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I remember these! I used to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had the lip glides, but the eye glide in champagne was the first eye shadow I bought. I loved it. The formula was awesome on me, and the color was amazing. It matched my coloring perfectly, almost always got compliments when I wore it. I think the eye glides were discontinued in about 2007. I've never been able to find that color with any other eyeshadow again. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. The applicator reminds me of Maybelline volume glosses that were in similar packaging as well. I've seem them at Big Lots occasionally over the year. LOVE Vintage Vault posts. ps. remember the Maybelline shimmery eye shadows that came in roller ball glass vile packaging? I hung on to those for years! I had the pink and gold ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this piece of history! I don't know if I owned this exact lip gloss but I had one with an identical applicator. Completely forgot it existed until now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the nude/champagne colored Lip Glide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found a coupon for those in a book I decided to re read!!! Too funny, I think it was from 2002

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG there was one of these that I absolutely loved but man, the smell was unforgiveable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have two of these I never opened.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never bought the Revlon ones, but The Body Shop had glosses like that when I worked there. I miss that employee discount!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember these. I liked them because they were so easy to put on. Also remember the Eye Glides too. Those were awesome. I had a bunch of those. Looked back at all your Vintage Vault posts...it's funny the stuff you forget existed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved these back in the day! I don't remember the names what I had but I did have a berry shade and a sheer brown shade! Your are right about staying power...vitually none! Typical of liquid lipsticks of the time I think! I remember them being so pigmented that it was more liquid lipstick than gloss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally had this and loved it. I somehow lost it when I moved from Mississippi back to New York and completely forgot about it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh good lord I totally had one of those when I was a kid. No idea what color. The applicator was so gross!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had 2, a peachy nude and a bright pink. Both were shimmery. I think they all were, right?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember having a burgundy shade. LOL. And it was too globby but I smeared it on anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't remember if I had a Revlon Lip Glide but I definitely had a product like this. I really think it was Revlon though. It was one of my first makeup products ever. I had one of the light pink shades. Great post, I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had both the lip and eye ones. I think I still have them somewhere amongst my makeup hoarding. Oy! Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the lip ones smelled horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was the first real lipstick my mother let me buy. I had a deeper shade, but I really loved the application delivery. It was nice. I miss it.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig