Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Battle of the blue lip colors: Revlon Invite Only vs. L'Oreal Sundays by the Seine

I'm not going to rehash for you here the three different versions of the Revlon The Evening Opulence display (Target version, drugstore version and UK version), but if you want to know the differences and similarities between all three, please click here.

The US drugstore version of this display contains one each of the two new limited edition Lip Butters, Invite Only and Provocative. I'm happy to confirm that they have finally landed in the US, but sad to confirm that there's only one tube of each shade in the display.  So you literally cannot hesitate if you want either of these!

If you're lucky enough to find a display that still contains these two (literally, two) Lip Butters, I want you to be prepared and ready to grab them, if you so choose.  Thankfully, longtime reader Shawna (@ratherbedancing3 on Instagram) shared a comparison and some insights with us (I personally have yet to find this collection locally!).

NOTE: While I was in the middle of writing this post, longtime reader NA also shared these helpful pics (be sure to read the captions) of Invite Only and Provocative. Thanks so much for that, NA!

image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap
L'Oreal Limited Edition Colour Riche Balm in Sundays by the Seine 
vs.
Revlon Limited Edition Colorburst Lip Butter in Invite Only

To refresh your memory, the limited edition L'Oreal Balm, Sundays by the Seine, was part of the Spring 2013 Versailles Romance Collection.

image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap

image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap

 image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap

Remember that Revlon stated in InStyle Magazine that Invite Only is supposed to be more of a color-correcting type of shade, rather than a pigmented blue/teal. It's purpose is to "counteract redness" and make the lips a "nice, sheer beige tone." 
Shawna writes:
Here is a comparison between the LE lip butter in Invite Only and the LE LeBalm in Sundays by the Seine.  
My thoughts:  Invite Only is a brighter mint green in the tube and appears to have blue/purple/pink shimmer, whereas the Balm is more of a milky pale green/blue with no shimmer.  On the lips, the shimmer from Invite Only is subtle, but pretty, IMO.  To be honest, I think the Balm does a better job of canceling pigmentation, etc., but the lip butter sort of brightens/whitens your smile because of the shimmer, you know?  So, I'd say it's worth it even if you already have the Balm. 
Also, I didn't send a pic of the Provocative lip butter because it is completely colorless. I'm kinda disappointed in that one as it doesn't do much of anything.  LOL  It doesn't cancel pigmentation, it doesn't brighten.  It's just clear, but has the same texture as all the other lip butters.  So, to me, Invite Only is worth the purchase, IMO, but I'd pass on Provocative.  

Once again, the two Limited Edition Lip Butters in the Evening Opulence Collection:

 image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap

 image credit: Shawna for Nouveau Cheap

I hope that, between Shawna's pics and info and NA's pics and info, you now have a much better idea if either of these are worth the hunt for you! If I can find them, I'll of course review them here (but it doesn't look like my chances are that great, considering that there's only one tube of each shade in the display).

Thanks so very much, Shawna and NA, for sharing your photos and insights with us. It is truly appreciated!
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I just wish a drugstore brand would make an ACTUAL blue lip color :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is that they DID, back in the 80s and even early 90s. L'Oreal, Revlon, even Jordana had blue lippies, and I mean BLUE. Light blue, medium blue and even darker, frosty blue and they were all super opaque. I don't know why drugstore brands don't bring them back into the mainstream since they were once *quite* mainstream...so strange!

      Delete
    2. Brucci also made a sparkly blue. I know this because I bought it for $1 at the drugstore around the corner from where I lived, and I shared it with a friend in the bathroom at school...we bopped into our 3rd grade classroom thinking we were all hot new wave stuff, only to be told to go back to the bathroom to scrub it off, hahaha!

      Delete
    3. I wish I was around then. I don't know why they stopped. I'd love a nice light blue!
      Or a dark metallic blue. Also, more shades of purple. I just want lots of things.

      Delete
  2. I want Invite Only! Hopefully I can find it. I'm such a lip butter junkie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I was really looking forward to Provocative, but if it is cololess, what's the point? I guess I'll have to try Invite Only simply because I do not own a "blue" lipstick. Now, here's hoping I can find it! Why on Earth would Revlon only put one of each in the display?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's not much color payoff. I remember when you could find blue and lilac and purple lipsticks, even some greens, and now, nothing. At least makeup manufacturers could put them out by Sept. 1 for Halloween so adventurous types could indulge their whims!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oohh, I didn't know there was shimmer in Invite Only. Wish it had some blue/teal tint to it, but the color-correcting properties sound useful.

    I'll pass on Provocative though.

    Thanks for the swatches! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wet and wild used to make silver lipstick I wore it all the time when I was 11 it was opqaue as all get out and I think I must have bought like 5 or 6 tu BBB e cause I wore it all the time in 5th grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wet and wild used to make silver lipstick I wore it all the time when I was 11 it was opqaue as all get out and I think I must have bought like 5 or 6 tu BBB e cause I wore it all the time in 5th grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was Max Factor Wild Blue back in the day. I don't wear it anymore, but I can't part with what I have left. It's a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did find the Invite Only at Amazon.com. I'm going to order it if I can't find it in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have Invite Only on Amazon.com. I'm going to order it if I can't find it in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just picked these up at my local Walgreens! They had 3 slots for each color.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This display FINALLY landed at my local Walgreens. There were three spots for each lip butter color. Lucky for me there were two left of Provocative and one tube of Invite Only. I picked up both colors and have searched Provocative. Its pretty much just a clear lippie. I had the blue loreal balm but tossed it as the blue tint was too noticeable (and not in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found them at a CVS today! Not in a display though, they were sitting on a shelf. I only grabbed the Invite Only. So excited to finally own one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So, back in late 2013 these blue shades were like a strange and almost extinct animal - I couldn't find any, anywhere!

    Fast-forward to this afternoon...

    I'm at my local Big Lots store and what do I find? L'Oréal's Colour Riche Calm in "Sundays By The Seine"...for $2.80!!

    Since I never got to try it out last fall, I only bought one tube today.

    After getting home and trying it out...

    I'll be going back to get some more tubes before someone else does! LOL

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig