Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Yves Rocher Luminelle Lipstick in Soft Purple


Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of Yves Rocher fragrances and body products but, in my last order, I decided to try some of their makeup products (I'll be reviewing their new BB Cream and some of their eyeshadows soon).

I realize that most of us don't like to place online orders for lipsticks if there aren't many swatches on the internet to get a good idea of the shades and, trust me, there are NOT many reviews for these lipsticks. I combed the internet trying to find swatches and I finally just threw caution to the wind and went with Soft Purple. So I hope that this review helps those of you who have been considering trying one of these lipsticks.

 Yves Rocher Luminelle Lipstick in 42215 Soft Purple
(retail: $5 on the Yves Rocher website, 0.12 oz)

 42215 Soft Purple
Made in France

The tube LOOKS small when you see it, but if you compare it to a Wet n Wild Megalast lipstick (which is 0.11 oz) you can see that it's deceiving because the Yves Rocher tubes are shorter, but they contain almost the same amount of product as a Megalast tube. 

And can we just talk about how adorable the packaging is? I absolutely love the milky white lid and purple graphic:


Not anywhere near purple, but still pretty

I didn't even realize until I saw this close-up photo that there is gold and bronze sparkle in this lipstick. The sparkle doesn't register on the lips though.


Soft Purple is not purple, but it IS soft. I would describe it as a soft, sheer mauve.


In the pic above, I deliberately made it blurry hoping that some of the sparkle would come out and be visible but...it's not (nor is it visible to the naked eye).


On my medium-pigmented lips, this color turns very light, and has more of a milky pink undertone to it. Again, it's nowhere near purple, but it's very soft and natural-looking.

Texture and consistency: This lipstick has a slick, cushiony feel on the lips. It actually reminds me of a non-sticky lip gloss. I think it feels absolutely wonderful on my lips, with no stickiness, grittiness or heaviness.

Finish and pigmentation: This is a sheer creme lipstick with undetectable fine sparkle. The pigmentation is decent for this type of finish, but I do have to go over my lips a few times to get this particular color to show up on (I think this has more to do with it being a sheer, light shade than it being weakly pigmented).

Moisturization: I was very pleasantly surprised with how hydrating this lipstick feels on the lips. And the hydration seems to stick around even after the color has worn away, which is a nice bonus.

Staying power: As with most sheer lipsticks I own, I can get about an hour of wear from this lipstick. Sadly, that's pretty par for the course when it comes to me and sheer lippies.

Flavor and fragrance: The fragrance of this lipstick very much reminds of a MAC lipstick (vanilla). The flavor is also similar to the flavor of MAC lipsticks, but with maybe just a touch of a fruity note.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for something to get you to the free shipping mark the next time you're placing an Yves Rocher order, I think this might be a fun product to throw in your cart. I certainly wasn't disappointed with this lipstick but, if I had it to do all over again, I probably would have gone with a darker shade. Would I place an order specifically for these lipsticks? Probably not (due to the sheerness and lack of staying power) but if they were on sale and I was a few bucks away from free shipping, I would certainly try another shade. As most of you know, Yves Rocher products frequently go on sale, so if you see these for 25% or 50% off soon, they might be worth a shot (if you like sheer lipsticks). I think they feel amazing on the lips and they're hydrating too.

Do you own any Yves Rocher cosmetics? If so, what do you think of them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. It seems that not all of the lipsticks from this range are like this (sheer, kinda natural). In fact, it gives a list of which shades fall under which category:

    "Lipstick

    Satiny and shiny finish – Intense comfort upon application
    Truly delicious shades! From nude to intense colors, from matte to shimmering shades, you are going to love this collection of lipsticks that complement any outfit and your every mood.
    Each shade has its own personality and result:
    - Nude* Lipsticks offer light coverage for naturally enhanced lips: Soft Pink, Soft Purple
    - Fruity Lipsticks with adaptable coverage for enticing lips: Raspberry, Chestnut
    - Glamour Lipsticks offer intense coverage for sophisticated lips: Red Apple, Coral."


    so I guess it's important to note that each shade falls under any number of categories as to type (not all sheer). Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, I got an Yves Rocher lipstick as a freebie. It was dreadful--super drying and patchy, and a truly hideous color. Based on that experience, I have avoided ordering makeup from YR, though I love their perfumes and body washes. I might try some of the lipsticks again, since this is the second good review I've read of them recently.

    Plus, you know, pretty packaging. God, I'm an easy mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time i comment, but i've been reading you for 2 years now.
    Just wanted to say that i have one lipstick of this line, the 14 raspberry and i have to say that it is beautiful!
    It is a fuchsia but i find it very wearable, it has nice pigmentation and it is moisturising and in a way feels light on the lips.
    Also if you want to try other makeup products from the brand, i've heard that the sexy pulp mascara is quite good. Hope this helps ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read the headline I tbough G? Purple? Really? But it really is very different than I expected. Almost a my lips but better color! One of these days I want to place an order and I will remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd buy it just for the packaging! Good gracious that's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aw it's so pretty!! Every time I make an order, I add in a cosmetic item to try out. So far I love their liquid liner, polishes and shadows :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a pretty color, G. Love the packaging more than the color, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Yves Rocher body washes, and the Sebo specific face wash which works great with the Clarisonic. Also today and about once a month Ebates offers a 30% cash back. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone know if this company is cruelty free?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig