Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Lipstick League – week of 10.22.12

Congratulations to Clumps of Mascara, Vampy Varnish and Nouveau Cheap for being featured on the new Wet n Wild Cosmetics “Beauty Ambassador Favorites” display, coming soon to a Walgreens near you! (Click the links above for pics of the display.)
Lipstick League Question of the Week: 

Can you remember your first lipstick love?

G's answer: Oh yes, I sure can! Back in the day, Avon used to give out little samples of their lipsticks, and they came in little white, mini tubes that were barely an inch tall. Whenever my mom would get them, she'd let me play with them and that was the very beginning of my lipstick obsession. I coveted those little tubes. But as for my first true, big-girl lipstick love, it's gotta be a long-discontinued red lipstick from Wet n Wild. This was when WnW lipsticks came in white tubes (late 80s) and they didn't have names (just numbers). I thought I was so sophisticated when I wore that red lipstick and I even wore it to my Senior prom.

Links of the Week:

Beauty Junkies Unite – I’m pretty sure you’ll like this set of mini Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Blushes in tarte’s new ‘Fantastic Foursome’ Blush Enthusiast Set for the holidays as much as I do!

Clumps of Mascara – is battling stretch marks with her growing baby bump. Is it a waste of time or will these products actually help combat them?

Lipglossiping – is definitely feeling the pull when it comes to Illamasqua’s lipstick in Magnetism!

Gouldylox Reviews – Have you started planning your gift lists already? Check out these lust-worthy gift ideas and stock up before they are gone!

Nouveau Cheap – Do you remember the brand Styli-Style, famous for their long-wear eyeliners? Well they’re back and under new ownership with lots of fun new products, as well as some old favorites.

Pink Sith – Confesses her love for a blush from Rouge Bunny Rouge.

Prime Beauty – takes a look at two highly giftable must-haves from  Tarte’s Holiday Baby It’s Bold Outside.

Phyrra – shows you how to get that perfect glow with Too Faced Candlelight Glow Highlighting Powder Duo.

Vampy Varnish – thinks you are going to love at least half of the new OPI Skyfall Collection for Holiday 2012.

we heart this – We’ve deemed this the best long-wearing lip product we have EVER used. Find out what it is!

Guest Post of the Week, as chosen by Beauty Junkies Unite – Gel manicures are a little pricey—-but my fave fashionista, Sydne Summer of Sydne Style shows you two cute ways you can extend the life of your costly mani, DIY-style!

Can you remember your first lipstick love?
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. Yes - L'Oreal's MICA (Colour Riche 620). Probably started using this in my late 20's/early 30's and still love this color more than 15 or so years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those baby Avon lipsticks! Back then you could get a sample of anything they sold.. and they would toss a handful in your bag when you placed an order.. not anymore though!

    I never really had patience for lip products until the long wear ones started showing up. The first product I remember really loving was a compact that had two tubes, one color and one clear, that would pop out of it.. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.. I'm thinking it was from Loreal. The color was Apricot. Cherry chapstick is probably the earliest "must have" I can remember... and those roll-on lip glosses, remember those? Super thick and goopy, and lasted about ten seconds.. but tasted great, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M.A.C Lipstick in Myth will always be my first love. Its still the color I reach for when I'm unsure or in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a kid, I begged my grandma to buy me the TOMMY HILFIGER 4th of July lipstick trio.. you guessed it: it came with one white lipstick, one red and one blue inside a little light blue and white stripped pouch :)... and I wore those almost EVERYDAY when I was in Jr. High... and I am sure my teachers wondered why someone would allow me to buy and wear white lipstick to school..
    Along the same time, I also was a huge fan of a WNW dark brown lipliner pencil with I wore along with a shimmery iced mocha lipstick color, also WNW (i believe it was in a dark blue package)
    LOL the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revlon's Temptress although I don't hear much about this shade from other people. It's the perfect pink in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually didn't start wearing lipstick for good until the past year. The lipstick that did it for me was Topshop's Infrared.

    I saw a Styli-Style display at my local Rite-Aid. I know you said that they wouldn't be available until the beginning of November, but do you think this is an old, leftover display? Or is it new?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that my first one was NYC Sheer Red... I still have it, and I love it!
    BTW I have the Tarte's Blush set and its amazing! I love it! BUT I love more my two Wet & Wild blushes and even my NYX Blush in Cinnamon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, G---those little Avon samples? They were my first lippy love, also! When I was a kid, my Mom's best friend sold Avon and she let me have bunches of them every month. At first, I was too young to wear them outside the house (I must have been 9 or 10). When I was 14, I think, I was allowed to wear the little lipstick, only light pink shades mind you, when I went out, and also to school.

    After my Avon love affair, I recall an older cousin giving me a white lipstick (now you can see how old I am!). I loved it, but was not allowed to wear the white lippie outside of the house.

    After that, I think I lost interest in lipstick until maybe college or even grad school. I mostly wore nude shades then.

    Wow, you mentioning those little white tubes brought me way back! +)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clinique's Black Honey, and the Body Shop's long-discontinued Pink Ginger. I finally found a Sephora brand lipstick to replace the Pink Ginger, and I was SO happy when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first lipstick was in the 9th grade (before that it was LipSmacker in Dr. Pepper from 6th-8th grade) was the original Revlon ColorStay in Raisin. The original ad had Cindy Crawford making a kissing face wearing some type of a hat (does anyone remember this?)I had to have it! I believe she was wearing Raisin, which was why I chose that color. I wish so much I had held onto that tube. I remember pulling it out and reapplying it, even though I didn't need to. It was super drying but I LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember being in middle school and visiting my (still favorite) Aunt Carolyn. She used Clinique face products and was always getting free gifts with purchase. She let me go through a bin of them and pick out whatever I liked. One of the items I took was a rosy lipstick called Baby Kiss. It wasn't that far off my natural lip color, so I started wearing it all the time. When I saw her again months later (we lived 6 hours apart) I mentioned that I liked the lipstick she gave me and she asked the name of it. A few weeks later, back home, a tube of Baby Kiss arrived in the mail from Aunt C. I'm almost 31 and still, about every 6 months or so, she sends me a tube of that lipstick! Among many other reasons, you see why she's my favorite aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember those Avon tubes. Was obsessed with them as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was never a huge lipstick person since getting into makeup, but one color that I've recently discovered that I CANNOT get enough of is Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. I just think its such a beautiful beautiful shade that anyone and their mother could pull off. For some reason since it has that pink tinge to it, it doesn't scare me as much as a full on red lip. I fully intend on rocking it this entire winter!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig