Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Urban Decay: further reductions and additions to sale page (plus a mini review of Gash)

Reader and fellow blogger TamaraB of Beauty is Maximus (who happens to be a native San Diegan like me--yay!) let me know that Urban Decay's clearance sale is still going on, with new additions and further price reductions. Most notably, UD has added the Roller Girl Palette to the sale page, and it's just $13 (regular price: $32). 

The Skull Shadow Box (which I swatched for you here) is still available for $12, and as many of you know, the old eyeshadow singles which were previously on clearance for $9 are now just $6 (originally $17). 

I placed an order when this sale first launched several weeks ago, and in addition to the Skull Shadow Box, I also purchased a lipstick in Gash. These were $9 when I purchased them (that was a great deal since retail for $22) but since then the price of UD lipsticks has dropped to $3 each. Um, what? That's kind of crazy, right? 

Since the color Gash is still available on the UD sale page, I thought I'd do a mini review with swatches in case you were thinking of picking it up:

Urban Decay Lipstick in Gash & Limited Edition Luxury Lipstick Cap
(retail for lipstick only: currently $3 on the Urban Decay website; full retail price $22; 0.13 oz)

When I placed my order several weeks ago, Urban Decay was including a FREE Limited Edition Luxury Lipstick Cap with any clearance lipstick purchase. I'm not sure if they're still sending the free LE cap when you purchase a clearance lipstick but, just in case, here are some pics of the cap:



I would show you what this cap looks like on the UD lipstick, but the one time that I actually put this cap on my lipstick, it stuck to the lipstick tube so firmly that I had to ask Mr. G to pry it off. I'm not going to take any chances and put this LE cap back on my lipstick, for fear of never being able to get it off. So no pics--sorry. By the way, I'm not sure if this is a widespread problem with the LE caps, or if I just got stinker. If you have had issues with the LE cap, please leave a comment and let us know.

 Here's the lipstick with its regular cap:
Urban Decay Lipstick in Gash


Don't you just love detailed design elements like this:


And this:

Some swatches:


The opacity of this lipstick is great--almost 100% opaque on the first swipe. Gash is a deep, dark crimson red with blue undertones. It doesn't veer into magenta territory, but it's also not a neutral red. I would say it's a cross between blood red and cranberry. Gash has a satin finish and it also has a little bit of sparkle to it. It's subtle though and the sparkle is not dense or gritty. You can kind of see the sparkle in this extreme close-up of my lips:


No, my skin is not blue in real life, but I had to do some post-editing and color adjustments to show you the true color of this lipstick when on my lips (without editing, the color looked way too tomato-red). Anyway, this is a pretty good representation of what this lipstick looks like in real life.

I'm an old-school Urban Decay fan, and I remember when their lipsticks came in simple metal bullet cases back in the 90s. Back then, the biggest complain was that their lipstick formula was dry and quite heavy (I remember some of the shades feeling like tar on my lips but I wore them anyway because the colors were so unique and beautiful).  So from my perspective, this lipstick is quite light and hydrating when compared to my memory of the old-style lipsticks. However, I have heard complaints from others that they find these lipsticks to be drying. And then there's the scent. I'm not sure if there was a batch (or two) of these lipsticks that contained a not-so-pleasant fragrance and flavor, but I personally had no issue whatsoever with the fragrance of flavor of this lipstick. The scent, to my nose, is sort of cross between vanilla and jelly beans. The flavor is a bit remniscent of jelly beans as well. 

As for staying power, this one's a stainer. It lasts about 4-5 hours on my lips, and after that it wears down to a nice berry-red stain that lasts for a few additional hours. I love that this lipstick wears down evenly with no ring-around-the-lips as it fades.

FINAL VERDICT: For $3, I can't really think of a reason not to order this one if you love deep, crimson reds with blue undertones. Seriously, it's less than half the price of a standard drugstore lipstick, and the packaging is stunning. I love it wearing Gash paired with lots of mascara and liquid black liner on just my upper lashline for a retro look (just be sure to keep eyeshadow soft and neutral and go easy on the blush since Gash is going to demand all the attention when you wear it).

Do you already own Gash? Are you thinking about picking it up while it's still $3? Have you already placed some UD orders during this clearance sale? If so, I'd love to hear what you think of the products you've ordered!
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I wish more websites would ship in padded envelopes instead of boxes, and base shipping cost on actual cost (plus a dollar or so for materials and handling). It costs less than $2 to ship a lipstick. I'd love to buy one UD lipstick for $3 plus $3 S+H, but it's just not worth it to pay $6 S+H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point, but maybe it's a matter of perspective. Since I paid $9 for this lipstick plus $6 shipping, $9 total including shipping seems pretty awesome to me! Also, considering that these were $22 at full price, $9 including shopping is still more than 50% off. :)

      Delete
  2. I ordered 3 lipsticks when the sale first went up, and received notification shortly after that they were sold out of LE caps, FYI.

    Pistol is one of the colors I got and it's very pretty. Apocalypse is also much less scary than it looks. I mean, it's still going to give you a pretty vampy lip, but it can be sheered out, and with a gloss over top I find it quite glamorous and on-trend for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wear Gash back when UD was a new company and Gash was all the rage. I prefer something more sheer these days so I bought a couple of tubes of Stung Lip Love. Turned out to be the MLBB Holy Grail. I bought 4 more because I love it and for $4 each, they are a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a really hard time with the cap too! Such a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just placed an order a few days ago and I am very XXXcited to get my stuff. I have never tryed UD lipsticks, but for $3 bucks I cannot say no. I'm not real picky about taste, smell, or drying. I can deal with most minor issues if the color is poppin'. I ordered one gash, apocolypse, pistol, confession, 2 hot pants, and one gloss in a beige color. I used my 5 dollar off coupon from my sale order a few months ago. My total came to $22, shipped, for 7 items, plus 2 sample cards. I was on the edge about the roller girl palette, it IS cute, but my defaut beauty buy is always shadow, so I passed. I have seen all over how dark lips are the "it" look for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. Ok, you got me. I just went and ordered 2 of the lipsticks (including gash), a mascara which I'm always a sucker for since I haven't fund my holy grail yet. AND I got those silly temporary tattoos because, well... because!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the tatts too...2 bucks? why not? they look pretty real, though it does help to dust them with a translucent powder to take the shine off. I figured i could rock them some night at a dive bar...ha. Slap on a little gash lippy and some tats....it's fun to play!

      Delete
  7. So i just looked at the sale section and they have added All Nighter XL and Deslick XL for only $18. Now im not complaining, just wondering why this is?? Are they discontinuing the XL version, changing the formulation, or what? And ideas on this G?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are disco'ing that SIZE not the product itself. I picked it up on blowout at sephora for the same price.

      Delete
  8. Thanx for this blog post. I just had to purchase Gash along with the makeup setting spray!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very frustrating! I bought about 4 eyeshadows and now they're cheaper. Sigh. Now I know next time UD has a sale, WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I just ordered Gash for the $3, along with a few other things...I'm so happy to see your review of it, it's making me even more excited to get this lipstick and try it!! I've never tried Urban Decay before and this will be my first shot at a vegan lippie as well...can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad this looks nothing like the original Gash from back in '96. Now that was a bada** red! It's was like metallic, cranberry frost. I wish they would reproduce the original, or rename this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A few months ago I checked out reviews on the LE cap because I was on the fence about making a purchase at all. Every single review I found said the cap was extremely tight and a couple said they couldn't get their lipstick free at all -- a real bummer when you pay $22 and can't even wear it once because you tested the pretty cap first (which is something I would do. Who doesn't like to play with all their new makeup before putting it away?)

    When I saw that you had this cap, I was like "Oh no! I hope she didn't get an extra bad one!" Awesome design with an awful flaw. Such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooo pretty. Guess I missed the sale. I love the packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was initially bummed out that I didn't get a cap when I ordered a few of these lipsticks. After reading the comments on the suckiness of the cap itself, I'm kinda glad that I didn't get one, lol.

    I still have a few of the old lipsticks in the shell cases, and yes, one of them is one of the ones that has the tar feel to it. Yuck! They haven't turned, so I still use them on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I recently got one of the LE caps from a friend who ordered a few on ebay for her collection. I noticed the bottom of the box has UD's tagline "beauty with an edge" printed incorrectly as "beauty with AND edge". It also says made in China and lacks the cruelty free bunny logos. Is your box like this too? Was this a mass misprint on UD's part?

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig