Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, September 24, 2012

Reader Spotlight: Darcey


For this week's edition of Reader Spotlight, I'm interviewing the lovely Darcey, aka femputer. Darcey has been a reader since practically the very beginning of Nouveau Cheap, and is still an active commenter to this day. In fact, she even remembers when all of my photos here were taken with my Blackberry phone (RIP) and how I lovingly referred to that phone as my CBC (you'll see what that stands for in a second). It's my honor to share this interview with Darcey with you. She's always got great insights into the world of drugstore makeup and the swatches and reviews she posts of drugstore makeup on her own blog are amazing--you should check 'em out!

Keep reading for my interview with Darcey, plus a glimpse at her lipstick stash...

Q: How long have you been reading Nouveau Cheap?

Gosh, feels like forever! I've been reading since the days of CBC (Crappy Blackberry Camera)! But I know I started reading around the same time I joined Makeup Alley, which is when I discovered the beauty community in general, so I know it's been at least since late summer 2009!

Q: Do you remember how you initially found this blog?


I honestly don't! I was probably just googling makeup reviews (story of my life) and stumbled across it.

Q: Have you ever purchased a drugstore product because of a review on this blog? If so, how did it work for you?


Only a few dozen or so! I remember buying the Almay Liquid Liner because you raved about it so, but I was still an eyeliner klutz back then and had trouble using it. It's seriously taken me years to be able to do my eyeliner without wanting to put a bag over my head before walking out the door. But I digress. I also remember getting into Sally Girl stuff because G talked about the awesome yet cheap products. Chances are, if G's talked about a drugstore product, I've tried it!

Q: Name your top five drugstore beauty brands.

In no particular order: Revlon, Maybelline, Wet 'n Wild, Milani, Cover Girl.

Q: What are some of your Holy Grail drugstore beauty products?

Oh boy, we might be here a while! First off, I absolutely adore all Cover Girl mascaras, I think they have simply the best formula available from the drugstore. I keep trying other mascaras but I consistently go back to Cover Girl. My current favorite is the original orange Lash Blast. For eyes, my HG products are the Maybelline Color Tattoos. Talk about multi-tasking! These are my eyeshadow base of choice as they prevent creasing, I can also wear them alone or use them as eyeliner. I have all the shades and I absolutely love them! Revlon Lip Butters can't be beat in my mind for the best comfortable-to-wear, yet amazing pigmentation and shine. I can't live without my Sonia Kashuk and Real Techniques makeup brushes. LA Colors Mineral Blushes are my cheek color of choice because they're cheap, come with a ton of product, and best of all, they wear all day on my cheeks. As for other products, I'm still trolling for my HGs!

Q: What's your go-to lip color shade?

A pink with gold shimmer! I have half a dozen lipsticks and glosses of this color because it's my favorite.

Q: Approximately how many bottles of nail polish do you own?

I haven't counted in so long! I'm ashamed to say the last time I counted it was over 500 and that was a couple years ago. It's probably closer to 700-800 now.


Q: What was your most recent drugstore beauty purchase?

I majorly hauled some (you guessed it) more nail polish a few days ago. I got some Orlys from the Sally's clearance sale and a bunch of Sally Hansen's from various new collections, most notably, the Luster Shines!

Q: What are some drugstore beauty products that haven't worked for you (and why)?

I just can't do powder foundations, or pressed powder in general. My skin tends to be dry and flaky and while I love loose powder to set my liquid foundation, I can never seem to get on the pressed/powder foundation train!

Q: If you could create a limited edition drugstore beauty collection, what would it contain?

What a dream come true! Definitely 10 or so special nail polishes, with flakies and holos and glitter galore! I'd probably want to create a whole palette of duochrome eyeshadows since they're my favorite. I'd also like to create something akin to the MAC Mineralize Skin Finishes or Mineralize Blushes and bring it to the drugstore level.

Q. Would you like to share a picture with us (of you, your makeup stash, a pet, etc.)?

For the pic I attached my current lipstick collection. I'm kind proud that it's almost entirely drugstore, save the odd Tarte Lipsurgence or Clinique Chubby Stick or three. :D


Thanks so much, Darcey, for the great interview and the peek into your stash (it looks unsurprisingly similar to my own! Ha ha!).  And I love your idea for the LE collection--an entire palette of duochrome eyeshadows would be amazing!
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I love this little "series" G! Wow I can't believe Darcey has 700-800 nail polishes, if I had that much I'd be painting my nails every damn day :-)!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series is so much fun. Love the pic of the lipstick collection. Makes me want to go shopping, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series!!! It's always fun to read other people's responses to things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad to see i'm not the only one who prides herself on her almost entirely drugstore lipstick collection! you go, Darcey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am seriously envious of that (beautifully organized) lipstick collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like I say this every week, but I really like this series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *sniff* this is so sweet G! thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WANT that bin full of lippies!!! great read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. for the nail polish junkies out there, i just saw a very space-efficient storage method on YT: http://youtu.be/V1HGQ1_ISL0

    ReplyDelete
  10. This series is awesome!Darcy's comment about a whole palette of duo chrome eye shadows made me pine for my old Trucco angelface holographic eye palette.Seriously those colors rocked!Sadly that product was discontinued probably 10 years ago:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview! I love getting to know these girls. I am going to have to organize my lip collection! I have a big basket of tubes and pallettes and pots just crammed full!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like my lipstick collection, except I need more Maybelline, and I have more L'Oreal. Why? I'm not sure, L'Oreal always tricks me by selling me frosty lippies. I must stop buying L'Oreal lippies and get those Maybelline instead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. am i the only one that counted those lipsticks? (must b the ocd in me lol) its about 150!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig