Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, September 26, 2012

China Glaze White Cap vs. Julie G. My Private Palace

As I was working on a future post where I'll be reviewing some of the Jesse's Girl Julie G. nail colors, I noticed that the shade My Private Palace looked a little familiar to me. Then I realized that it reminded me of China Glaze White Cap from the Spring 2011 Anchors Away Collection. 

So I thought I'd do some side-by-side swatches.

(Note: Julie G polishes are available exclusively at Rite Aid and on the Jesse's Girl website.)

Jesse's Girl Julie G Nail Color in My Private Palace
(retail: $3.99, 0.35 oz)
China Glaze White Cap
(retail: around $6.50, 0.5 oz)

Keep reading for comparison pics...


Three coats of each polish:



Not an exact dupe, but I think they're in the same general ballpark. The Julie G. polish is much more opaque, and it actually leans toward a metallic whereas China Glaze White Cap is more of a sheer layering type of color. White Cap has more of a glowy, pearl look to it, whereas the gold in the Julie G polish is much more dominant.



In my opinion, China Glaze White Cap works better if you're looking for a layering shade. It's sheer even after three coats, whereas Julie G. My Private Palace is more opaque even after one coat. I tried to use My Private Palace as a layering shade and really, it's so opaque that after just one coat over a black creme, you could hardly see the black creme.

So do you need both? I'd say that if you're drawn to these glowy gold types of polishes, then yes. I'd used White Cap over darker colors (it's stunning over black) and I'd wear My Private Palace all by itself.

Do you own either of these shades? Are you a sparkly gold polish lover?

Both of the polishes featured in this post were given to Nouveau Cheap for review.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. I believe the original Jessie's Girl Firefly is the same thing as well. So if you have that, no need for the others. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, these are both gorgeous! Thanks for the comparison! These both look like colors I'd like to have in my arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been lusting after white cap but haven't bought it and I just picked up my private place during my recent trip to Rite Aid( we dont' have them in FL so it was my first trip to a rite aid). I'm glad that theyre similar enough that I don't need both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive been meaning to look into the julie g polishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have white cap and I use it a lot for layering. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These remind me of my first Rescue Beauty Lounge purchase Moxie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These both remind me of my first Rescue Beauty Lounge purchase "Moxie"!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about the Julie G polishes, I wish I had a Rite Aid so I could pick these polishes up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On my next RA trip I am going to remember Private Palace! I do like these alot! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where did you get that shade of China Glaze? I'm coming to realize that the Wags near my home is quite useless. no NYC, no NYX, no China Glaze, no OPI. :(

    And btw, did I mention ur the aweosomest blogger ever? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU! I was in a diff city last week and scouring the Rite Aids there for anything new and fun (my city doesn't have RA, just CVS/Wags) and I almost picked up that Julie G, then thought... wait, that looks like White Cap! I spent 5 min in the aisle frantically googling for comparisons and there were none! I'm glad I played it safe and put it back. I think I'll be quite happy with White Cap as my layering jazzer-upper. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow. I love the effect of both. Just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Jesse's Girl Firefly and Revlon Calla Lily. The Revlon cured my want for white cap. Firely is gorgeous too, they are very different polishes though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw china glaze at marshalls yesterday and it had this color but in a pack of 3 for only 4.99 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i HAD to buy them so i end up buying 5packs meaning 15nails polishes from china glaze but omg its so cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw this post and went right to eBay - white cap was mine for 4.99!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like these sorts of colors around the holidays only....but lucky me, the beauty supply in my town sells the entire line of China Glaze for I think 2.99 or 3.49 per bottle.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig