Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: Revlon Photo Ready Cream Blush in Coral Reef

Originally introduced in the Revlon Gucci Westman Escapism Collection, the Photo Ready Cream Blushes are a new addition to the Photo Ready family of products are not limited edition (you can view all three shades in the range here). So if you haven't spotted the Escapism display in your area, don't worry. These should eventually make their way to the permanent wall display.

Of all the Photo Ready Cream Blushes in the Escapism display,  Coral Reef was the one I just had to buy. The color called out to me for use this summer, so let's see how it's been working for me! I've been wearing it off and on since the day I bought it (several weeks ago) and I'm finally ready to give you my verdict:

Revlon Photo Ready Cream Blush in Coral Reef
(retail: around $11, 0.44 oz)


Note that the first ingredient is dimethicone. And yes, the texture of this blush is like a silicone-based primer and very easy to apply to the skin.

The pot  is not tall, making it handy to slip into your makeup bag.



There is absolutely no shimmer to this blush:




(Excuse my out-of-control brows. Sheesh!)

I always have a problem with coral blushes leaning very pink on my skin (probably because my cheeks have a natural pink undertone). So I was happy to see that this blush actually looks like coral on my cheeks. Yay!

 Due to the high level of 'cones in this blush, it's extremely easy to apply. It literally glides across my skin and it's a cinch to blend. It has a nice level of pigment to it, but it's not crazy-pigmented right out of the gate. You can build and build for more intensity (what you see above was the result of two applications).

I've tried this blush with a variety of different foundations (powder, liquid and cream) and it seems to work well with each formulation. I get the best results when I "sandwich" this blush (apply my foundation, then the blush, then a finishing powder). When I "sandwich" this product, I can get about five hours of wear before it completely fades from my skin. If I do not "sandwich" this product, I can barely get three hours of wear. I have also tried wearing this on bare skin, and it lasts about two hours before I see serious fading. (PLEASE NOTE: I have very oily skin, and the weather has been fairly warm here in San Diego lately--between 70 and 80 degrees).

I'd also like to add that there is a slightly odd fragrance to this blush. I get berries and...something else that I just cannot put my finger on. I almost want to say that there's a bit of a "plastic upholstery" note going on here, but that is just so weird and out there that I don't want to mislead you. It's not bothersome...it's just a little strange to my nose. But the fragrance is not strong and I can't smell it at all after application. I can really only smell it when I literally stick my nose right up to the pot.

FINAL VERDICT: If you have oily skin, I would highly suggest wearing a good primer and sandwiching this blush between your foundation and setting powder or else it's probably not going to be visible by lunchtime. Coral Reef is a gorgeous color and I do not regret my purchase, but I think that I'll probably wear this as a "base" underneath my powder blushes because I don't like the idea of my blush fading three hours before the end of the work day. I really love that it actually looks like coral on my cheeks (as opposed to berry or pink), but I think this product will probably work best for those with drier skin. If you never have a problem with blushes fading on your skin throughout the day, then this product might even be Holy Grail material for you. It's easily buildable and blendable and it contains no shimmer or sparkle (the three big selling points for me personally).

Do you own any Revlon Photo Ready Cream Blushes? Thoughts?
SHARE:

34 comments

  1. It looks like this color was made for you! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im thinking i might pick one of these up! awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if you do!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I have been wondering about these, so I really appreciate the detailed information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much, honey! I'm so glad this helped. :)

      Delete
  4. I bought this on Saturday in Pinched because I was afraid the Coral would be too much on my fair skin. But now I'm thinking I might give it a go. I didn't put on foundation today and put a bit of this blush on using my fingertips. Went on well and five hours later it's still looking good. :)

    I hope Revlon keeps coming out with these Gucci Westman collections. I'm a HUGE fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be happy with how buildable this one is :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the honest review. I too have oily skin so I won't waste my money on this one. I love Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge but of course it's more than double the price. Lasts forever though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, a bit uneventful... I expected more, but cream blushes are a bit of no man's land for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry this one seems like it's not for you! :(

      Delete
  7. The blush looks pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. G, this color looks so good and natural on you,like it's your own natural coloring, only better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! Thank you so much for that, honey!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh! Ive never really seen your face in you posts. YOUR GOREGOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh, thank you so so much! :-) you totally made my day!

      Delete
  10. WHAT are you wearing on your lips? It looks seriously amazing and I want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wearing the nyc gloss that I review on monday call Cherry Ever After :-)

      Delete
  11. I also have oily skin, what good face primer do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My holy grail face primer is still the one by Black Radiance. You can search for my review (from a few years ago). I know I always say this, but this primer is THE BEST for oily skin...it contains clay! And you can order it online at Walgreens.com. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I've survived the winter with oil control foundations and sub-par primers... But summer is here and it's time to get serious with the oil control:) I'll check out the revue, thanks!

      Delete
  12. Wow, its such a a great summer blush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the other two cream blushes and wanted to get this one but my RA was out :( It looks good though. I like them because I can blend them so well and my skin is on the drier side so I find it wears well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG I am so glad I saw this! I literally was in Walgreens yesterday and wanted this so bad. I didn't have my phone so I couldn't look up swatches. I am headed back now.. I thought it would be to orangy! Its gorgeous!!

    xoxo Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a nice spring-y color!.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I snatched this up as soon as I saw it. I have dry skin and it lasts pretty well on me, but I really love layering it with a powder blush (theBalm Frat Boy) and it give me coral cheeks that last all day in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I picked this one up last week on rite aid's sale and was so bummer to find out it breaks me out so badly. It really is a shame because the color is super pretty on my tan skin :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was completely hypnotized by this color, too, and I was really surprised by how wearable it is. I normally avoid cream blushes, because the oils and things are really awful for my skin, but since this one is silcone based, I think of it as a gel masquerading as a cream. I got good, all day wear from mine, actually well into the evening. However, I am quite fair, so even wee bits of blush show up on my face like "Here I am!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great on you! Thanks so much for another thorough review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the color on you!! Any idea when these will be available on Canada?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty!!! Do you know when they will come to Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the photo ready makeup, it is the best I have tried, I used Clinque for years, and the photo ready is the best, so I may have to try this blush, also wanted to tell you, I went to Big Lots and found the great buys on the Philosophy makeup, and love the eyeshadow it stays on all day and opens up my eyes, Thank you again for this blog, I look forward to it everyday.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig