Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: Alpha Hydrox Sheer Silk Moisturizer SPF15

Before you look at the photo below, I want to be sure you know that I took this photo AFTER my testing of this product was complete. In other words, the bottle is almost empty in the photo below, and I removed the clear lid so that you could better see the air pump dispenser.

Based on how many people love and rave about this moisturizer, I wanted to give it the most thorough testing possible. I usually give skincare 2-4 weeks before I write a review, but I've actually been using this product for over two months now. 
 Alpha Hydrox Sheer Silk Moisturizer SPF15
(retail: around $14.99, 1 oz)


A lightweight, intensive moisturizing formula that helps skin maintain its optimal moisture balance as it softens, smoothes and improves skin's condition and texture.  Active Oxygen stimulates collagen & new cell growth. Vitamins E&B5, Soy and Green Tea effectively nourish & protect. A broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 15 sunscreen blocks dangerous, wrinkle-causing rays. Skin-enhancing light diffusers give skin an immediate healthy glow (with or without makeup.)

•    1 oz.
•    For all skin types
•    Non-greasy, fragrance-free
•    Contains moisturizing Lactic AHA
•    Excellent for facial & undereye moisturization
•    Safe for daytime & evening use

Ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 5.0% Inactive Ingredients: Water, Peroxidized Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7, Steareth 21, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Myristyl Myristate, Petrolatum, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Panthanol (Vitamin B5), Green Tea Extract , Lactic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Steareth 2, Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Triethanolamine, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT

I've mentioned in the past that chemical exfoliators (AHAs and BHAs) don't always seem to do as good of a job at exfoliating my skin as well as physical exfoliators (i.e. scrubs). However, I have noticed that alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs such as lactic acid, which is the AHA in this product) do seem to work better for me than beta hydroxy acids (salicylic acid). But the issue with AHAs is that you must wear sunscreen when using AHAs, which is EXACTLY why I was so excited to try this moisturizer. Since I have oily skin, I don't like to apply an additional sunscreen to my face if I can avoid it (my regular foundation does contain sunscreen and I like for my moisturizer to also contain sunscreen). So I love the fact that this AHA moisturizer also contains sunscreen.

When the folks at Alpha Hydrox asked which product I would to receive for review, I KNEW I wanted to try this one because it seemed like a perfect match for my particular skincare needs (plus I've heard so many raves about it). So now let me tell you about my experience!


Let me cut to the chase and tell you that the raves about this product at definitely not unwarranted. After using almost the entire bottle, I can confirm that this is my new Holy Grail moisturizer (and trust me, I don't say that lightly).

First of all, I love the texture. It's not thin or watery; it's a thicker lotion. At first this scared me off, considering I have oily skin and can't usually wear heavier lotions during the day. But this one's different--it goes on thick, but I find that once it has absorbed into my skin, (see third pic above) it gives my skin a natural-looking sheen (not oily, but not super matte) and here's the best part: it seems to help keep my makeup in place. For my particular skin, I find that this moisturizer almost doubles as a face primer. 

I don't see any increase in oiliness throughout the day when wearing this moisturizer (as opposed to my other moisturizers), and I also LOVE that it keeps my skin hydrated without looking shiny. It literally makes my skin feel like I want it to feel after using moisturizer. I know that sounds silly, but I've used so many moisturizers over the years that DON'T make my skin feel like I want it to feel, so this is really a fantastic thing for me.

As for improvements to the texture or look of my skin, I have not noticed anything dramatic (I've yet to find a moisturizer that DOES provide dramatic results though). But that said, I have noticed a consistent, subtle improvement to my skin, and less breakouts than before I started using it. My skin just looks clearer, and it feels softer.

Another thing I absolutely love is that I find myself reaching for my physical exfoliator far less than before I started using this moisturizer. I just don't see the dry, dull layer of skin that usually has me reaching for my facial scrub first thing in the morning.

The fragrance of this lotion is extremely mild--it smells like a regular fragrance-free lotion and I barely detect it during application or after it's on.

Oh, and how can I forget to tell you this: I have been using this product under my eyes as well (as an eye cream, as suggested on the label) and I'm DELIGHTED to report that it doesn't sting if it accidentally gets too close to my eyes. This is a huge thing for me, since moisturizers that contain SPF tend to sting like heck if they get too close to my eyes.

The only downside (for me) to this moisturizer is that it's a little challenging to find in stores. I know that Ulta carries it, and you can also get it on the brand's website, as well as on drugstore.com.

FINAL VERDICT: I've found my Holy Grail facial moisturizer! After I don't know how many years of searching and liking but not loving so many products, I've finally found The One. Alpha Hydrox Sheer Silk Moisturizer SPF15 does everything I want my facial moisturizer to do, and it even keeps my makeup in place longer. An AHA product with built-in sunscreen is a marriage made in heaven for me, and I just could not be happier with this product. My oily skin loves it, and in both cold and hot weather (I've used it in both) it performs beautifully, providing my skin with the perfect amount of hydration every time. My skin feels smoother, it's clearer, and I can finally use an AHA product without adding a separate layer of sunscreen. When it comes to an effective moisturizer, I finally feel like I can have my cake and eat it too. 

Do you use any skincare products from Alpha Hydrox? Do you have any favorites? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. I really want to try this now! I have extremely clog-prone skin so I have to be really meticulous about exfoliating, but my skin is also sensitive. I've found that the Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion is the most effective, comfortable feeling AHA I've ever tried, and it doesn't irritate my skin at all. It keeps my pores clear while still being gentle and it doesn't feel greasy or sticky like other brands of AHAs I've tried. I only use it at night because I'm scared of the sun sensitivity (I use a moisturizer with SPF during the day), but I think I might just give their day moisturizer a try based on your glowing review. Thank you for the thoroughness of your reviews, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to try this now! I have extremely clog-prone skin so I have to be really meticulous about exfoliating, but my skin is also sensitive. I've found that the Alpha Hydrox 10% lotion is the most effective, comfortable feeling AHA I've ever tried, and it doesn't irritate my skin at all. It keeps my pores clear while still being gentle and it doesn't feel greasy or sticky like other brands of AHAs I've tried. I only use it at night because I'm scared of the sun sensitivity (I use a moisturizer with SPF during the day), but I think I might just give their day moisturizer a try based on your glowing review. Thank you for the thoroughness of your reviews, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh G! I am glad you love it! It and the suffle have been my go to for years and no one believes I am as old as I am. Minimal fine lines, no age spots and good skin tone. I am auto delivery from Drugstore.com!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zinc oxide doesn't make your face white at all? Hmmm I may have to try this (not that I have don't have 25 sunscreens on hand, being a sun-fearing Asian and all). I currently use the foaming facial cleanser and 10% AHA gel and really like both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this moisturizer looks awesome! And I was in Ulta today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive heard to that Walgreens has a good Alphe Hydroxy moisturizer. Its 6.99 but its not availiable at all stores so u might have to order it online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you reviewed this product! I am heading over to Ulta now to pick it up. I use an AHA cream at night and love it...like you, I don't have to reach for the scrubs like I used to. I will report back on how it goes...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recently I've seen the Alpha Hydrox products at all of my Walgreen stores. I didn't take a close look at them, so I am not sure if they have the Sheer Silk Moisturizer.

    If anyone is interested, I did see the Walgreens brand of the Alpha Hydroxy Face Cream that previously was only available online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. will using this interact with a vitamin c serum?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check your local TJ MAxx and Marshalls for these products - I find them FREQUENTLY there! And yes, totally worth the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am tired of paying $27.00 for my tiny bottle of spf face lotion for my oily skin so I was super excited to read the review. Then I went to the website... It does say that people who use products like Retin A, which I have used for 25 years need to careful. If anyone gives it a try, please post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That moisturizer looks awesome!!! I think I might buy some for my kit for people who don't need as much moisture as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's what attracted me - having aha and sunscreen. I am having the same results and loving the glycolic acid swipes. They are wonderful for exfoiliating under my eyes where I would'nt want to scrub!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig