Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, December 25, 2010

Review: New NYX Velvet Rope Palette from the Runway Collection

NOTE: If you are interested in any of the palettes from the NYX Runway Collection, they're currently on sale for $8 (retail: $9.75) over at CherryCulture--along with a TON of other products--and you can get an additional 20% off on all sale items by using code S20 at checkout. Sale ends Dec 30th.

This is part two of a two-part review I'm doing for the newest additions to the NYX Runway Collection (click here to see part one, my review of the Haute Model palette). Today I'd like to show you the other palette I received for review: Velvet Rope.



Just like Haute Model, Velvet Rope has a variety of textures (some shades have more pigmentation than others, some have shimmer, some have different colors of sparkle, and some have a firmer texture while others are softer).  The main difference between Haute Model and Velvet Rope is that Velvet Rope is a purple-based palette whereas Haute Model is a jewel-tone-based palette.

Velvet Rope is definitely a dream palette for the purple lovers out there!


 The following swatches were taken with and without primer (the first swatch of each color is without primer, the second swatch is over Urban Decay Primer Potion):


 

Just like with the Haute Model palette, I found that some of these shades fair much better with primer, while others are vibrant on their own and don't seem to need primer at all.

If you are a longtime reader of this blog, you know that purples scare the crap out of me. They often bring out the yellow in my skin, and they also can make me look ruddy.  So I tried my best to do a look for you utilizing FIVE shades from the Velvet Rope palette (Phyrra, can you believe I used five shadows for one eye look??) and even though it's much bolder than I'd ever wear out of my house, I think it's pretty fun! Oh, and just like all the experts say, purple really does bring out the green in hazel eyes. My eyes looked so green when I wore this combo!








I used a bunch of NYX products to create this look:

Primer: 
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Cottage Cheese (reviewed here)

Shadows:
Three purples from Velvet Rope palette on lids and crease
Deep blue from Velvet Rope palette in outer "v" and blended up
Light pink from Velvet Rope palette on brow bone and inner corners 

Eye liner:
NYX Felt Tip Liner in Extreme Black (reviewed here for weheartthis)

Lip color: 

These palettes have been a lot of fun for me to experiment with over the past few weeks. You know I usually go for very soft, earthtone shades when it comes to my eyes, but once in a while it's good to get out of your comfort zone and try new looks and colors you wouldn't normally wear.

If you, too, feel like experimenting with color, I recommend these palettes for two reasons: 1) the price! 2) you get a variety of different shades, textures and pigmentations in each palette, which is often not the case in affordable palettes. Don't you hate it when you buy an inexpensive palette and ALL of the colors are the exact same texture and finish? I like to have options in palettes (shimmer, sparkle, matte, etc) and these palettes definitely satisfy my need for variety.

Do you already own any products from the Runway Collection? If so, what do you have? If not, are you thinking about making a purchase? I'd love to hear from you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

13 comments

  1. love the palette, now makes me wanna buy it haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your make up :)
    But NYX palettes not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like this palettecontains a few great shades, but, honestly, I see nothing special about it, as those can be duped easily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own a few NYX palettes but I'm not a big fan of them. The look you came out with it is very beautiful, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purples are so gorgeous. I have this sitting in my shopping cart at Cherry Culture and thanks to your review I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger and buy it!

    And I'm so impressed with 5 eyeshadows! I think the most I can pull off in a cohesive look is 4. And the purple looks great with your eye color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous look! Looks great on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The paletes look so pretty. One question how long are they wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at this palette when they had their free shipping sale but ended up going for the Green Eyes palette. Hope I didn't make a bad choice - the Velvet Rope colors look gorgeous. And looks like you don't need to be afraid of purple any longer - this combo is gorgeous on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Again, another great eye look on you! And, again, your skin looks great here! Loving the shades in this one; I might just have to pick it up now haha! =] Hope you had a Merry Christmas, G! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look great! I love the look of this palette!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig