Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 20, 2009

Don't let the name fool you...



I've gotten three requests in the past few weeks to write another candle review and I am SO happy to oblige.

If you've read my review about tarts, you know that I'm a huge lover of home fragrance. But my love for home fragrance spans many products including plug-ins, home fragrance sprays and, of course, candles.

Some of my favorite candles can get a bit pricey. Yankee, Slatkin, Votivo, Trapp, Voluspa, Illume, Illuminations (RIP), Henri Bendel, Tocca, Pacifica, and Diptyque, to name a few, cost much more than I can afford at the moment, which brings me to this review.

Patriot Candles, available exclusively at Walgreens, are an affordable option for any candle lover as they cost $24 for three large jar candles and $10 for two smaller jar candles. Yes, that's correct: 3/$24 and 2/$10.

Now, clearly, Patriot candles are inspired by Yankee candles. From the packaging to the scent selection, the parallels are obvious. But I've got to say that in terms of fragrance and throw (throw is a term used to describe how far a scent travels), some of these Patriot candles give Yankee a good run for their money.

Cookie Crunch (pictured above) has an excellent throw and smells just liked fresh-baked cookies. Other scents that stand out from this line are Brazilian Nectar, Cinnamon Vanilla, Lemon Meringue, Papaya Mango and Cotton Clouds. The fragrances are not complex, but on the other hand they are not cheap-smelling, if you know what I mean by that. They're just simple, nice scents that would make any room smell good.

One word of caution: Do not be lured by the triple scent jar candles! I have owned two of them including Fruit Stand (three layers containing Honeydew, Cantelope, and Watermelon) and Just Picked (three layers containing papaya mango, melon madness, and apple vanilla) and I'm telling you right now that the throw on the triple layer candles is nonexistent. I let one burn for 3 hours once and I had to literally get as close as possible to the flame to even detect the scent. After three hours of burn time!

You can get Patriot Candles in-store or online, and sometimes they go on sale for as low as 3/$7.99 for the large jars, which is a super deal. So keep your eyes peeled for sales.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I'm so excited about these candles! I think I am going to go broke(r) because of your blog. I just keep wanting to go buy the things you write about. I have forever loved the Yankee Chocolate Chip Cookie scent and have been so heartbroken since they discontinued it. I'm going to have to check out this Patriot Cookie Crunch! Thanks for a helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy I could help!! Please let me know what you think of Cookie Crunch if you get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Patriot Candles from Walgreens!!! My favorite is the Cookie Crunch which I just picked up yesterday! I am a foodie scent candle lover and Patriot has some of the best scent throws. I honestly do not care for Yankee Candles and think they are overpriced. Plus their scent throw isn't as good as Patriots, but that is my own opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa! I'm glad I'm not alone in my love of Patriot Candles :) I love that Cookie Crunch! But since I'm currently more of a tart person, and Patriot doesn't make tarts, I'm loving YC because most of their tarts have great throw. But for jar candles, I definitely love Patriot. Oh, but just not those triple-layer jars--they have zero throw in my experience! Do you own any of those?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ran across this old review and also have to say I love Patriot candles as well. Actually one of my favorites it berry smoothie which is a three layer, i looove it, it's hit or miss with all the candles though

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMM, I need to check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have an old cookie crunch candle that I refuse to part with because I am addicted to that scent. It's wonderful, and I'm so sad that they discontinued the product

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig