Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Swatches: Sinful Colors Halloween 2016 Collection Nail Colors in Got A Bat Attitude and Nice Guise


Since Sinful Colors polishes are on sale this week (2/$3 at Walgreens now through 10/22), I wanted to get some swatches up of the two shades I recently purchased from the Halloween 2016 collection!

PLEASE NOTE: I have dropped the ball on my Sinful Colors coverage over the last month or so. I meant to post pics of the Halloween displays a few weeks ago, but the sales and deals lately have been absolutely relentless. Since I'm just one person, I can't always get everything up that I want to post in a given day/week/month. So I apologize for not posting pics of the full collection, but I'm betting that ALL of you have seen the Sinful Halloween displays at your local drugstores at this point, so you know what the display looks like! Come January, after the holiday madness, my goal is to focus more of my attention on sightings and new drugstore collections and bring more balance to the blog in that area. So thanks in advance for your patience and understanding as we get through the holiday crazy season!

Sinful Colors 2124 Got A Bat Attitude and 2122 Nice Guise
(retail: $1.99 each, 0.5 oz.)

The two shades that caught my eye in the Sinful Colors Halloween 2016 collection were Got A Bat Attitude and Nice Guise. So let's start with the topper.

 2124 Got A Bat Attitude

This is a glow-in-the-dark topper that contains black bat glitter. Fun, right? In the bottle, the base looks like a light gray shade. But on the nail, one coat looks completely clear. So if you're using it as a topper over another color, this polish shouldn't interfere with your base color. BUT, after two coats, this polish does look a bit milky on the nail (as you're about to see), due to the glow-in-the-dark particles. 

Two coats, no base or top coat

This polish was a bit thick and goopy, but it didn't interfere with dry time. Also, there are lots of bats here, so it's not difficult to fish them out and get them on your brush. I didn't really experience much bumpiness with the glitter in this polish, except for the piece on my pinky nail which was applied on the curve of my nail, so it stuck out. The other pieces laid evenly on my nails and of course a good , thick top coat will make things smoother as well. 

Overall, this is a fun one and I think it would look really cute over an orange shade for Halloween. Oh, and the glow-in-the-dark effect works fine with this one (sorry no pics, but my camera wasn't cooperating). It gives off the usual green glow in the dark and, as with all glow-in-the-dark polishes, you get a stronger glow if you hold your nails up to a light source for a few seconds before you turn off the lights. 

2122 Nice Guise

Nice Guise is one of the "Chameleon Colors" polishes in the Halloween collection. I didn't really experience any color-changing with this one, other than, in different light sources and levels, some of the glitter particles seemed to shift color a bit. Looking at the bottle, you can see that there are gold and teal glitter flakes in this polish, and sometimes the flakes look more gold, while other times more teal. 

The base color is a navy blue creme (no shimmer). It's a thin formula (sort of runny), but I was surprised at how opaque it was after just one coat. If you used a thick application you could totally get away with one coat with this one. But as always, I used two for my swatch pics. Also, dry-time was quite good with this polish.

Two coats, no base or top coat

This first pic above was taken in regular lighting, while the pic below was taken in lower lighting (you can see the glitter flakes a bit better below if you're on desktop--on mobile these two pics don't really look all that different from each other).

Two coats, no base or top coat

This shade reminds me of China Glaze Blue-Ya from their Fall 2016 Rebel collection. The only problem I have with Nice Guise is that, as with just about every dark blue polish I own, removal is messy. It's like the minute that polish remover hits this polish, the blue spreads and wants to go everywhere. So just be careful during removal and use quick swipes. Also, I had this polish on my nails for two days without a base coat and I experienced slight staining. It wasn't too bad, but of course I should have used base coat to protect myself (living on the edge, I tell you)! If you leave this polish on your nails for a week and you don't use a base coat first, I'm guessing you're going to see some significant staining. I would definitely use one or even two coats of base coat before application, just to be safe.

Do you own any of the polishes in the Sinful Colors Halloween 2016 collection? If so, which shades do you have and how are they working for you? Are you planning to pick some up this week while they're on sale at Walgreens?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

20 comments

  1. I love these colors! I was surprised by the quality of this brand. I purchased one Kylie Jenner color (I don't remember the name but it is bright blue). I wore it one week with a base and top coat with no chipping! I will pass by Walgreens this week to see if they have any left. I love dark and bright nail colors!!! Also I have found using the Revlon gel top coat makes a world of difference with any brand of polish. Oh and one more thing.....using the polish remover that you stick your finger in and twist to remove nail polish is wonderful! No messy removal and all the polish is removed at once. Sephora makes a nice one. It's called instant polish remover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamiko! I totally agree--I LOVE the Target Up & Up Dip-It (review here: http://nouveaucheap.blogspot.com/2013/06/review-target-up-up-dip-it-nail-polish.html) which I just noticed is now just $1.49 on the Target website. Back in 2013 when I reviewed it was $2.49! I would have totally used it with this polish but my jar is getting really nasty from all the times I've refilled it, so I need to get a new one.

      Anyway, I'm so glad you're pleased with the quality of Sinful polishes. They're one of my very favorites at the drugstore. I have about 100 bottles of Sinful at this point and they all perform quite well for me, with very few exceptions. Such a great deal and even better when they're on sale! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh snap, now I have to stop by Target this week too. Mine should have been trashed a while ago but I didn't want to pay $9.50 for a new one at Sephora. $1.49 is a way better deal! Thanks as always G!
      By the way I am jealous of that polish collection...lol. You definitely have me beat!!! Lol!!!

      Delete
    3. I never knew such a polish remover existed. I will have to try this. I like glitter but am tired of spending 20 minutes removing polish by scrubbing with a cotton ball.

      Delete
    4. You should also look into the foil method. It's much better than scrubbing, it usually takes 5 minutes or so for the glitter to come off with that method. Personally, I tried the scrubby tub method but didn't like it.

      Delete
    5. hey G (and anyone else who loves the dip-it type scrubby remover pots) - when the acetone in there gets murky, it works great to give it a solid shake to loosen up the pigment & glitter in there, dump it out, and replace with new acetone. i used the same pot for about 2 years before part of the scrubby brush cracked away.

      Delete
  2. I bought this a few weeks ago at Walgreens, but it wasn't part of a Halloween display. I haven't seen any halloween stuff from sinful yet in my stores. (not really surprised) Were there other colors in the collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird! Yeah, the collection is called Guise & Ghouls and there 12 shades total plus one extra shade that's a Walgreens-exclusive. You can check out all of the shades here:

      http://www.sinfulcolors.com/collections/collectionsDetail/54

      Delete
  3. These "chameleon colors" look much better sponged on. The base polish is so opaque it covers the glitter if you just brush it on. But when you use a makeup sponge the excess base is absorbed and it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I remove a dark/pigmented polish, I saturate my cuticles and under my nails with cuticle oil and I've noticed it makes a difference with staining! It also protects my cuticles from the harsh remover, at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on the fence about Nice Guise.. I didn't find that many reviews online, these 2 will go nicely with the 2/$3.00 sale you posted on your weekly wrap up! Thank you again G!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Nice Guise, it's a beautiful dark almost black blue, and the glitter shift is most noticeable the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a TERRIBLE time finding this collection for some weird reason. I only just found a display of it at Big Y supermarket of all places. My favorite from this line is Cloak and Swagger. I love how it's different from all the other black textured polishes I own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most every review or every person I know that bought one of the Chameleon Colors noticed no color shift. I know I didn't. But darn I don't need another glow in the dark polish so I didn't look at them. I totally would've if I had known it had bats!!!!! I am glad you are going to get back to more drugstore stuff after the holidays and hopefully you will have more reviews too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally bats!! I didn't see the shift either Robin so I took it back.

      Delete
  9. The bats are too cute! Particle coats are my weakness and I have too many already, but I don't think I can resist this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sinful Colors is a great brand. I have a bunch and a few of the Kylie Jenner's too. The one is a beautiful green. I am not a fan of green, but it looks sooo nice on. I got them at Walmart for $2-$3 each.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bought both but took the teal back for not being magical enough. At my local Harmon ALL of the Got a Bat Attitudes were gone. And they had about 5 different Halloween displays so at least 25 bottles available.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i know i'm 2 months late here, but when i got a chance to take a look at Nice Guise IRL it looks to be just a slightly more sparkly version of Sinful's own Nova. Nova is a fantastic polish that i just don't need 2 of, so back it went.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig