Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, February 12, 2015

Review: NEW EcoTools Complexion Collection Correcting Concealer Brush

Back in the beginning of January I showed the new EcoTools Complexion Collection, but it took me a while to find these brushes locally. I finally did, and when I saw them in person I was drawn to the Correcting Concealer Brush, since I love small brushes for spot concealing. I've been testing this brush for about three weeks now, so let's take a closer look!

EcoTools Complexion Collection Correcting Concealer Brush
(retail: $4.99)

I purchased this brush at Walmart (the only retailer where I was able to find it locally at the time), but I've heard from several of you who have spotted this collection at other retailers. And if you can't find them in your area, you can always purchase via the EcoTools site (free shipping on orders $35+). 

Keep reading for my full review...

There are four brushes in this new collection, and this one happens to be the smallest (and least expensive) of the four. 




Just like with most of the brushes by Paris Presents (EcoTools, Real Techniques and Studio Basics), this brush is made in China. 


For perspective:


As you can see above, this is definitely more like an eyeshadow brush than a face brush when it comes to size.

Pretty detailing on the ferrule...



I don't really have a brush like this in my current collection, so there was a bit of a learning curve for me, in terms of finding the best way to use it. Bottom line, I really like this brush, but I find that it serves some very specific purposes for me personally.

My favorite way to use it is for spot-concealing. Specifically, I like to use it for covering old acne scars and dark spots. I think it really is great for that, because the size of the brush works well for small, circular areas that you're trying to cover. Also, the bristles are dense (but not super dense), which allows for stippling and creating a nice, air-brushed look to your concealer. If you have any acne, acne scars or dark spots on your cheeks, where pores are prone to be a bit larger than the rest of your face, this brush will help you to avoid having concealer pool up into larger pores (stippling works wonders!).

My favorite way to apply my concealer with this brush is to first apply my concealer with my finger, and THEN go in with this brush to stipple and buff. I find that if I pick up concealer with this brush (by putting some concealer on the back of my hand and then dipping the brush into the concealer), I end up applying way too much product. So I advise applying your concealer with your finger first, and then use this brush as more of a "finishing touch." Of course this is a just a suggestion, but that technique has been working really well for me.

As for using this brush for under-eye darkness, I actually don't like it for that. I just feel like it's not dense enough for that area, for me personally, and I find that I have to go back in a lot with my fingers to smooth things out when I try to use this brush under my eyes.  If you're looking for an under-eye concealer brush, I think that you may want to look into the Eye Perfecting Brush, which is also part of this collection. That one's actually designed for the eye area, whereas this one is for "precisely targeting imperfections." 

I've washed this brush about a dozen times and no staining or shedding. I use my holy grail brush cleaner (Dr. Bronner's Castile Liquid Peppermint Soap) and my new little dollar store silicone scrubby thingy, and this brush is clean in seconds. The only issue I have is that sometimes, deep down between the bristles, I can still see a tiny bit of concealer residue. If any of you have any tips about how to get deep down between the bristles on these types of brushes, I would love to hear from you. Other than that, I've had no issues with this brush staining, even after using dark shades of Color Tattoos. 

BONUS:  Besides spot concealing, I LOVE using this brush for blending my Maybelline Color Tattoos! Specifically, it's great for blending the upper crease area, which can be problematic for me when it comes to Color Tattoos (especially the matte Color Tattoos, which can get a bit spotty/patchy if you're not careful). If you like wearing one shade of Color Tattoo from the lash line to crease, I think you're going to love how this brush both applies and blends your CTs. I just used it today to both apply and blend out my Color Tattoo Leather in Deep Forest and I'm telling you, my crease area is looking fabulous! Totally air-brushed. 

FINAL VERDICT: A great brush for very specific uses. I love this brush for spot concealing old acne scars and dark spots, and I also love it for blending cream eyeshadows (it makes my upper crease area look like a million bucks!). I don't like this brush for under-eye concealing, but then again, there's a brush in this collection that's made specifically for that region, so you should probably check out that brush instead of this one if you're looking for an under-eye concealer brush. Is this brush worth $4.99? Absolutely. I highly recommend it (for the specific uses I laid out above).

Do you own any of the EcoTools Complexion Collection brushes? I would love to hear how they're working for you!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. This does look like a great brush for blending Color Tattoos and/or cream eyeshadows. Not sure I would use it for concealer, but I might check it out for eyeshadow use. $4.99 is a great price too. Thanks for the review, G! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. G, are you using the liquid or bar Dr. Bronners? I use the bar, get the brush wet and swirl it around on top of the bar and rinse. The only time I've gotten some makeup residue is with the elf stipple brushes and then I just have to repeat and they come out clean. Off topic, but a fantastic way To dry your brushes is with the small clothes drying rack with clips from Target for around $10. It has a coat hanger like hook that I hook on my shower basket. Then as I wash my brushes, I clip them - handle up. Any excess water hits the tub and the brushes dry quickly and more hygenic as air can circulate around them. My brushes last forever as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!!! These are both also fantastic tips! Thank you so much :)

      Delete
    2. Kelly, that is an amazing way to go about drying brushes! I like to dry mine upsidedown too, but what I usually do is take a cardboard box (get them for free at BJ's to bring groceries home) and punch out holes to stick the handles through so they hang brush facing down. It works, but it doesn't look nice. Thanks for sharing. G., I'm so curious about another brush from this particular line from ecotools...I saw in the latest People Style Watch (Kate Hudson on cover) that there is a face brush with the name mattifying in it?? Something about the bristle lengths is supposed to be compatable with mattifying powders, not sure yet but interesting...

      Delete
  3. Derr you said you use liquid. One of these days I'll stop speed reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the amazing review as always!!! :D I will look for this for blending My purple matte color tattoo... it hasn't gotten much love from me for the same reasons you said about blending in the crease area! It's also really great to find a good brush to blend in my weird acne scar areas... years ago I used a Mac 217 but always felt it would look streaky So I gave up and now I tend to just use a foundation brush for those areas too. I don't get to Walmart much but will add this to my list... I usually get so gaga over Flower makeup and hard candy and forget to check out anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try working coconut oil into the base of the brush with your fingers while it is dry. Then wash with Dr. B. Let me know if that works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great brush! I've never tried any Eco Tools brushes but I want to give this a try

    ReplyDelete
  7. I purchased the Eye Perfecting brush and although I've only used it a few times, it's going to get returned (I hope so anyway, I got it at Ulta). Considering that it is marketed for use under the eyes for creams, moisturizers or concealers, I thought it would be much softer. The bristles are very densely packed which makes the whole brush feel very stiff. There's very little flexibility or give to them. Most other concealer brushes I have are flat so the bristles as a whole have some flexibility and give when using the broad side. This one has a completely round ferule so the bristles have the same stiffness no matter what direction you turn it. This also causes a somewhat streaky application with concealer (which is what I bought it for) and I ended up with brush strokes that I had to pat out with my finger (which sort of defeats the purpose of buying the brush). I suppose it might work using a different concealer, but since it's really too firm a brush to begin with, I'm not going to hang onto it to find out.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig