Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, February 28, 2014

Review: NYX Butter Lipstick in Sweet Tart

I can't believe I'm reviewing a Butter Lipstick before I even review the original Butter Glosses that I have sitting on my desk (I owe you a long-overdue review of those!). But I wanted to get this review up since so many of you were excited to see NYX extend the "Butter" line into lipsticks. I ordered a shade via the Ulta website a while back and have used it several times since then--let's take a closer look!

NYX Butter Lipstick in Sweet Tart
(retail: $6 each on the NYX website and Ulta, 0.16 oz)

There are a whopping 22 shades in this range, which you can view here.

 photo 002-4.jpg

From the NYX website:

The unique texture seems to melt onto the lips, giving full, yet lightweight coverage with a luxurious satin finish.

• What it is:  Full coverage lipstick that feels like it melts onto the lips.

• What it does:  Adds a pop of color to lips.

• Why we love it:  This lightweight formula is non-sticky and deposits high impact color with just one stroke.

• How to use:  Apply directly on bare lips or over lip liner/primer for more pigmentation.

 photo 004-2.jpg

 photo 009-3.jpg

 photo 011-2.jpg

 photo 005-8.jpg
Sweet Tart

 photo 014-7.jpg

 photo 013-7.jpg
(sorry about the chapped lips, as per usual...)

Looking at my swatch above, you can see that this is a sheer lipstick, but don't let that fool you because it packs some serious pigmentation despite its sheerness. Even though it's not totally opaque, the color level is impressive and I don't need to apply multiple swipes for pretty intense pigmentation.

This lipsticks feels absolutely delightful on the lips. It has a similar "buttery" feel to it that you find with the Butter Glosses, and it really does feel like it melts onto the lips. It's a very moisturizing formula and the best way I can describe it is that it sort of feels like a lipstick-balm-gloss hybrid. It feels very glossy at first, but then as it wears down, it feels more like a creamy lip balm, but with the color of a lipstick.

But there's a catch when something feels this light, buttery and creamy on the lips--the staying power is nothing to write home about. On my lips, I can get a little under an hour of wear before it's gone. Granted, I smoosh my lips together a lot and generally wear down my lip colors like a boss, so you might be able to get longer wear if you're a pro at maintaining lip color for hours (and if you are, I'm insanely jealous of your skills).

There's no fragrance or flavor to this lipstick, which should make those of you with fragrance/flavor sensitivity quite happy.

FINAL VERDICT: This lipstick feels amazing on the lips. And it  looks amazing...while it lasts. My one complaint about this lipstick is that I can't get more than one hour of wear before it has pretty much faded into obscurity. I like my lipsticks to take me from breakfast to lunch, and then from lunch to dinner, but I think that if I change my perspective and view this more like a tinted lip balm (a ridiculously pigmented tinted lip balm), then maybe I won't mind reapplying so often. The color is gorgeous and if I can get these on sale later down the road, I won't hesitate to grab a few more.

Do you own any NYX Butter Lipsticks? If so, which shades do you have and how do you like them?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Oooh, yay for lip product reviews! And I would LOVE to see a review of the original Glosses- I've been wanting one but wasn't sure if they were worth it. Thanks for this review too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome!! I'll try to get the Butter Gloss review up this coming week. :)

      Delete
  2. I ordered a couple of butter glosses off of ulta's website, and I have to say I just wasn't that impressed with them. Maybe it's because I got lighter shades but they were so streaky and like you mentioned for the butter lipstick-they don't last. I do like them for the moisturizing properties though. I have been curious about the butter lipsticks, maybe I'll pick up a couple in "my lips but better shades" since a sheerer/thinner formula is what I like when it comes to that kind of color so it really meshes well into my own natural lips. Thanks for the review as always! Your reviews are like the best around, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aside from the cosmetics industry's exploitation of the term "butter" to get dieting women to buy its products, i don't understand the hype over these. most of the shades look too sheer and too weakly pigmented and the packaging is so cheap and tacky-looking. i prefer highly pigmented, lacquer-like lip products in more sophisticated looking packaging, especially since lipstick is the type of thing you might apply in front of other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually a stickler for lipstick/gloss packaging for that reason, too (that you're pulling it out in public most often), but I kind of think these are cute. I like that the whole outer tube is the color of the lipstick!

      Delete
  4. I got a bunch of these and I am in love! They add a great punch of color and are so easy to apply! Have you tried any of the darker shades? I found those lasted a fair bit longer, plus they stain the lips. Hunk is probably my favorite out of the bunch, plus it leaves a fairly intense stain that lasts easily into the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just looks amazing. I find NYX's packaging to be slick and very appealing too. Not all lippies have to be opaque. However, in my opinion, all lippies have to be comfortable to wear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of the matte NYX lipsticks (similar style tube) and I gotta say... While the packaging is cute and shows off the color of the lipstick, I HATE that you can twist up the lipstick while the lid is closed! If I'm keeping it in my pocket it has the tendency to twist itself and then it squishes against the cap. No bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these lipsticks. I currently have Big Cherry, Pops, and Licorice right now, but I definitely plan to get more!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig