Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review: Milani Eyeshadow Primer

If there is one product that I seem to get asked about the most on this blog, it's eyeshadow primer. I hear from readers in all states of "eyeshadow primer awareness" ranging from those who are looking for a new, better, more affordable primer, to those who have never tried an eyeshadow primer before and don't know where to start.

For me personally, eyeshadow primer is a necessity and I don't care WHAT powder eyeshadows I'm using (cream and pencil eyeshadows can also require primer but, not all the time, so let's just talk powder shadows here today).

Just a few years ago, there were very few options for drugstore makeup shoppers when it came to eyeshadow primers. But thankfully that's no longer the case, so let's take a closer look at the new Milani Eyeshadow Primer, which you can now get at CVS, Target and elsewhere:

Milani Eyeshadow Primer in 01 Nude
(retail: $6.49 0.30 oz)



Remember to follow the directions above: 

Blend well all over eyelid and allow to set for 30 seconds before applying your shadow!



 Made in the USA



This primer has a tint to it, but once you spread it on to the skin and wait the recommended 30 seconds, it looks almost colorless on my NC20 skintone.  Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I'd show you how this primer looks over both a drugstore eyeshadow and a higher-end eyeshadow.

First, over an e.l.f. eyeshadow:

A bronze shadow from the e.l.f. Natural Eye Palette

In the above photo, I used the shimmery bronze shade in the e.l.f. Natural Eye Palette. For both of these swatches, I loaded up my eyeshadow brush and did approximately three swipes (down, up and back down up again) with the powder on my brush. As you can see, the pigmentation is much, much better over the Milani primer. It also makes the shadow look more consistent and smooth (and much, much truer to the color of the shadow in the pan).

 Urban Decay Gunmetal

 I also wanted to show you what this primer can do for a higher-end shadow, so I chose Urban Decay Gunmetal. Again, I loaded up my brush with shadow and then, for each swatch, did about three swipes (down, up and back down again). What a difference, right? And just like with the e.l.f. shadow, the Milani primer allowed me to achieve almost the exact color of Urban Decay Gunmetal when it's in the pan.

Texture and consistency: What sets this primer apart from other inexpensive primers I've used over the years is that it doesn't have a slick, thin, runny or greasy consistency. This primer is thicker and creamier than many others I've tried and it feels creamy when you're applying it to your eyes. But as you're blending it, it breaks down a little bit (while still feeling creamy). And after waiting 30 seconds, this product dries down and almost feels like suede, but it has a slight tacky feeling, which is a GOOD thing because it gives your powder shadows something to adhere too. 

Ease of use: I like to squeeze out just a small dot per eye and apply with my fingertip. It's easy to spread and because it has a slight tint to it, you can see where you've applied it and not miss any spots (although the tint does fade the more you blend it in). I get absolutely no tugging, pulling or patchiness when I'm applying my powder shadows over this primer. My shadows glide beautifully over the smooth surface this primer creates, but I can't stress this enough: you must wait 30 seconds to allow this primer to dry before you apply your shadow. If you don't, you'll end up with a gummy, spotty, ugly mess. Trust me on that one!

Staying power: I have yet to wear a shadow over this primer that didn't last me all day and into the evening. I've tried this primer with no-name dollar store shadows, Urban Decay, MAC, Revlon, e.l.f., Wet n Wild, Bobbi Brown, Make Up For Ever, you name it. It makes every shadow I've tested it with last all day and into the night with very minimal fading as the day progresses. I might start to see some light creasing by the seven or eight hour mark, but that's it. Also, I want to add that, as with most primers, this primer may not intensify the color of matte eyeshadows as much as it can intensify the color of shimmery eyeshadows. That's just the nature of matte shadows--depending on the shade, sometimes you just can't get a matte shadow to be any brighter. I just wanted to warn you about that in case you've never tried wearing a matte shadow over primer. It will help the shadow stay on all day, but it might not make the color any brighter.

Fragrance: I don't detect any fragrance in this product.

FINAL VERDICT: Believe the hype about this one, folks. This primer feels great and keeps your shadows looking great. It's easy to apply, it's got a very nice, creamy consistency, and it creates a smooth surface that makes shadows glide on with ease. Plus, it keeps shadows looking great all day and into the night. To top it off, it's under ten bucks and you can get it at the drugstore. What more could you ask for, really?

You can purchase this product at CVS and other retail locations that sell Milani cosmetics. You can also purchase it online via the Milani website.

Do you own the Milani Eyeshadow Primer? If so, I would absolutely love to hear how it's working for you!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.Blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

52 comments

  1. I LOVE this primer. I wore it today and was blown away by the quality of this drugstore primer. milani really did a great job with this. plus its cruelty free. great review. like you wrote here, the pictures say it all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it's working for you too!

      Delete
  2. What a coinky-dink. I just saw this at CVS, but I was not sure if I should try it. Thank you so much for the review!!! The Extra Bucks deal this week makes it a sweeter deal. Right on time, G. (Much cheaper than my current eyeshadow primer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad I could help!!! And please keep me posted on how you like it? :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS PRIMER!! Just as good if not better than the UDPP. On the days I don't want to wear shadow but still want my eyeliner to stay on I'll use this primer and put a layer of my foundation setting powder before putting on my eyeliner/mascara and my eyeliner (even the cheapy ones) stay on all day. With shadow this primer also lasts all day (and I work 12+hrs!) with only a little creasing by the end of the day on my super greasy lids! I gave a half used tube to my aunt and she loved it so much she's already asking where I got it so she can replace when she runs out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, nice tip about wearing under just liner! Will have to try that! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. OO I might have to pick this up. I'm running dangerously low on my UDPP and tbh, I don't love it enough to warrant a repurchase. Also, this eyeshadow primer has more product than UDPP. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I hope you love it as much as I do! :)

      Delete
  5. As I finally finished the last back-up tube I had of the now unavailable Lumene e/s primer, I bought - and LOVE - this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, yes, I have this Lumene primer too and am nearly finished that tube. Will try this one for sure!

      Delete
    2. Aaah, I remember that Lumene primer!

      Delete
  6. I grabbed it when I first saw it this spring. Of course i've only tried the L'Oreal one and Urban Decay Eden. This stacks up the the UD one I can say! If not better because it's cheaper! I've been using it with the E.L.F. baked single eye shadows I've been getting at target! Another good buy! These brands are making life easier I swear! And I have slept with my makeup on and gotten up the next day threw on some more foundation and went back to take on the world. It's that good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear it's working so well for you too!!

      Delete
  7. Love.this.stuff. Been using it for a month now, and it's the only primer (I've tried many) that works for me and my outrageously oily lids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! And I totally agree... you know my lids are ridiculously oily too! Haha!

      Delete
  8. Does this primer improve the staying power of eyeliners? Thanks, G!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I haven't tried it with JUST liner (no shadow first) but when I wear shadow and then liner on top, I've noticed that my liner doesn't fade like it does when I'm not wearing the primer underneath.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this review, I'm glad to that the drugstores now have a few good primers to offer. How do you think this one compares to the Fergie by WnW one? Do you have a preference between the two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me try me best to answer that! First, they're totally different consistencies. The wnw is thinner and slicker whereas the Milani is thicker and creamier. Also, the wnw has less tint to it. I find that both do a great job at intensifying color and keeping shadows bright and crease-free, but of course I cannot say one works better than the other because there are sooo many factors that are different from person to person (body chemistry, skin type, weather, humidity, etc.). Besides texture, another difference I've noticed is that the Milani is easier for me to remove with just my regular face wash, whereas sometimes the wnw sets so well that I have to use eye makeup remover to get every last trace off (not regularly but every once in a while).

      So the biggest difference for me comes down to texture. If you prefer a lighter, thinner, slicker texture then the wnw might be better for you. If you like a thicker, creamier texture, try Milani.

      I honestly can't say one is BETTER than the other because both work well for me. I would suggest trying both and see which one works better for YOU. CVS, walgreens and rite aid all allow returns/exchanges on used product so you have nothing to lose!

      Hope that helps a bit...

      Delete
  10. Adding this to my shopping list! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you reviewed this! I was on the fence about buying it, wondering if really worked or not...now I can see it works! Thank you so much....going out today to get this, Yeah! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleeease let me know what you think, Carol!! *fingers crossed* :)

      Delete
  12. I'm not in love with UDPP. A drugstore primer that is cheaper and better is exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if you try it, M !

      Delete
  13. Why do they still put crappy parabens in products? I think I'd rather pay extra for the UD or NARS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of alternatives if you're trying to avoid parabens. Glad you have some that work for you.

      Delete
  14. Love your in depth reviews. How would you compare this primer to the WnW Fergie one? I was never a primer person but your review convinced me to give it a try and I've been using it regularly. I love the way it performs. Even the most crease prone product stays put with it underneath. The only product that didn't was CG shadowblast crayons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just did my best to compare the two in my comment above. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  15. but how does this compare to the wet n wild fergie all night primer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see my comment up above. Thanks!!

      Delete
  16. I'm looking for a new primer so I'll give this one a try. Nothing so far beats Trish McEvoy's Eye Base but it's expensive and I would really like to find a more affordable option. The consistency of this seems about right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love ro know how you think this compares to the Trish, if you try ir!

      Delete
    2. I'm an idiot. I went to the store but couldn't remember if your review was of the Rimmel or Milani primer. I bought the Rimmel because it had the same type of applicator as the Trish McEvoy. So far, I'm not impressed with the Rimmel. It's very similar to the NYX and NARS primers that don't do much for me at all. I really need a tint in my shadow primers. I'm going to pick up the Milani primer tonight and let you know.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for this review! I have used UDPP religiously but am just too broke to buy it again right now, and I am running out. But I got this primer for my birthday and was a little hesitant about if it would hold up to comparison! Now I'm much more assured

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'd love to know how you personally think they compare, since you own both! :)

      Delete
  18. I've heard this compared to NARS primer - do you feel that's the case? My roommate has slipping and creasing with UD, ELF kind of works, and NARS is the best working one for her. She'd like to know if this will substitute because it's SO much cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own the NARS so I honestly can't tell you how they compare. I do think it's thicker and creamier than the elf and original UDPP though!

      Delete
  19. I love this primer and bought it a couple of months ago when it first came out. However, last week when I went to use it, it was extremely watery and not useable. I shook it and no change. I just didn't use it for a few days, then today it was fine. I don't know what was going on and I was curious if anyone else had problems with it. I really do love it and I will repurchase even after that happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hum...I haven't had this happen to me, but maybe hot weather was a factor? I recently noticed that my Fergie primer separated a bit when it was very warm here...

      Delete
  20. Super excited to try this after I use up my UDPP! I'm not a huge fan of UDPP actually, I still get fading throughout the day so I'm really interested in seeing this one!!

    Are you planning on trying/reviewing the Rimmel one as well? I'd love to see a review about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please let ne know what you think if you try it! :)

      And yes, I would love to try the rimnel eventually...if I do, I will be sure to review!

      Delete
  21. I got this stuff a few weeks ago, and when I'm done with my uber-expensive, high end muckity-muck packaging primers this one will be my go to. It ROCKS - beats the pants off Nars and all the others, and it's half the price to boot! Glad you love it as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to find this. My CVS will probably get it in 2020 but maybe Ulta. I'm excited about it after reading your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds amazing! I've been using the Revlon Photoready primer and I have creasing about half way through the day :( Definitely will be picking this up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have only used it a few days, but liked it so much I gave away my WnW primer. I agree"G" the consistency between the two is different. I'm pleased with the staying power on my oily lids. I use an oil control lotion first then the eye primer and my eye color survives an 8hr day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wanted to love this product, but I'm sensitive to something in it that makes my eyelids burn when I apply it. After using it a few weeks (which I shouldn't have), my eyelids started getting dry and kind of scaly. It was also too yellow and dark for my skin, although I had been willing to overlook that too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I totally adore this primer! I saw this at CVS one day and at first, I wasn't sure about buying it until I remembered that UDPP and TFSI are pretty pricey (in my opinion) so I knew that I had to try it. I have super oily lids and is only creases just a bit after the 8 hour mark, but the shadow stays put. I also use a tiny bit on my eyebrows before I fill them in and it also makes the color of my eyebrow pencil more vibrant, so I don't have to fill in as much to get the color and it stays put for a long time. This is awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is the best stuff ever....love, love, love. I got this yesterday after using the Rimmel exaggerated primer for a few weeks. I used the Milani today and after having my eyeshadow on for 14 hours it still looks like I applied it minutes ago. My eyeshadow looks amazing through being in the heat and teaching. This is an absolute must.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just bought this primer today & I'm really excited to use it! Happy to see all these great comments & this great review on it! As much as I've always adored makeup, believe it or not, I've never used an eyeshadow primer before-I know, it's like, where have I been. So I decided to try this one-there aren't tons of them at the drugstore,& I like Milani cosmetics. Plus, it seemed like I'll see people on Youtube,& their eyeshadow always goes on more pigmented than mine-I thought maybe it was because they were using high end stuff, but even if they had the same stuff I do. Then it dawned on me they were all probably wearing primer & that's why.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i recently bought this and i am loving it so far!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig