Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Review: Essence Kiss Care Love Lip Balms

Now available on the Ulta website (and in-store too, I believe), these cute little lip balms from Essence have been on my radar since I first posted about them back in the beginning of February. I received two shades for review (there are four shades in the range) so let's take a closer look:

 NEW Essence Kiss Care Love Lip Balms in 02 Purple Berries and 01 Fruit Crush
(retail: $1.99 each, 0.14 oz)

Keep reading for my full review...

From the Ulta website
Kiss and care in the city! The gentle texture of this lipbalm is moisturizing and pampering thanks to its premium castor oil ingredients. The highlight: a refreshing fruity taste and natural look with their subtle color-dispersion. Available in four beautiful, trendy colors.
Ingredients (No. 01 Fruit Crush): Polybutene, Isocetyl Stearoyl Stearate, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Octyldodecanol, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polyethylene, Candelilla (Euphorbia Cerifera) Wax, Behenyl Beeswax, Stearyl Beeswax, Mica, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Sodium Saccharin, PEG-8, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Parfum (Fragrance), Limonene, Eugenol, CI 15850 (Red 6 Lake), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).
Ingredients (No 02 Purple Berries): Polybutene, Isocetyl Stearoyl Stearate, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Cera Microcristallina (Microcrystalline Wax), Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Octyldodecanol, Carnauba (Copernicia Cerifera) Wax, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polyethylene, Candelilla (Euphorbia Cerifera) Wax, Behenyl Beeswax, Stearyl Beeswax, Mica, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Sodium Saccharin, PEG-8, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Parfum (Fragrance), Citronellol, Linalool, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene, Eugenol, CI 77742 (Manganese Violet), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide).




Left: 02 Purple Berries
Right: 01 Fruit Crush
I think it's important to keep in mind that the description of these balms says that they will give a "natural look" with "subtle color dispersion." The tube also says: "for soft and shiny lips." So we know going into this that these are NOT going to be big on color:
When I first swiped these on my hand (above), they looked pretty frosty. Thankfully  the shimmer doesn't turn to frost on the lips. It's pretty subtle, but visible. I know that you all like to see lip products on my lips (thanks for always requesting that!) so here you go. Please keep in mind that my lips are super chapped right now:
Purple Berries pretty much translates to subtle shimmer and not much else on my medium-pigmented lips. I see no trace of color here; just soft silver shimmer.
Fruit Crush has a very subtle reddish-pink tint to it, but I really have to go over my lips quite a few times before the tint becomes visible. If your lips are less pigmented than mine, you might not have any issues getting this one to show up.

Texture and consistency: Since these lip balms do remind me of Maybelline Baby Lips, I thought it might be helpful to compare the texture to Baby Lips. To me, these are a bit more creamy-feeling on the lips, and not quite as slick as Baby Lips. If you prefer a slightly heavier feel to your lip balms and not as much of a light, slick feeling, these might be a good option.

Finish: As you can see above, these aren't for those looking for color. But they do give the lips a nice, subtle shimmer (no frost).

Moisturization: Since the key ingredients in these lip balms are mineral oil, various types of waxes and castor oil, I think the level of moisture is going to vary depending on how those types of ingredients generally work for you. I know that mineral oil is a polarizing ingredient (you either love it or try to avoid it), but I think I'm kind of old-school about products that contain mineral oil since they generally seem to work well for me. I find these lip balms to provide a nice barrier against wind and cold, and the waxes don't eventually turn gummy or dry-feeling on my lips.

Staying power: Quite impressive--these last for several hours on my lips without having to reapply.

Flavor and fragrance: My favorite part about these lip balms! Let's start with Fruit Crush: to me, this smells like cherry taffy. I love it. It's sweet, a little bit tart and very creamy. Purple Berries really surprised me. I was kind of expecting this one to smell and taste like generic grape candy. But no! I was delighted to discover that this one has a lovely, sweet, red wine note. Almost like sangria! I'm absolutely delighted with both the fragrance and flavor of both lip balms.

FINAL VERDICT: If you're looking for a fun, inexpensive new lip balm that can provide a little bit of shimmer to your lips (but not much color), these could be a nice option the next time you're at Ulta. If you prefer a lighter, slicker lip balm (like Baby Lips), then these might not fit the bill because they do have a heavier, creamier feel on the lips. For me, they're surprisingly long-lasting and I love both the flavor and fragrance of both of the shades I received for review. 

Have you tried any of the new Essence Kiss Care Love Lip Balms? Thoughts?

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. That's a good price. I was wondering if they'd be like Maybelline Baby Lips. My lips are super pale, though, and I prefer more color, but I'm curious about the grape one's smell now! Touch of sangria has me intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! Can you feel the the sparkles? Like a bit of a grity feel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw these in HEB last night and almost bought one! I bought one of their nail polishes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pic reminded me of the Maybelline Baby Lips. I was kind of hoping these would be more pigmented. But for the staying power an the price, I'll have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ulta had a flash sale on bare minerals stuff last week and to get free shipping I threw two of these into my cart--amusingly enough, the same ones you reviewed. I just got them today and I'm liking them more than Baby Lips, but I do like the creamier feel--it's closer to my beloved Fresh lip balms, which are pretty heavy/creamy on the lips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought one of these tonight (the orange one) and had no idea where the name was till now. haha
    I can already tell this will be my daytime balm for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want one now! At first the Fruit Crush, but that red-wine comment about Purple Berries interested me, and now I don't know! See, G, what an impact your detailed reviews have on already decision-impaired gals? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig