Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Softlips Limited Edition Marshmallow Ghost & Vanilla SPF20 Lip Balms

Back in the middle of September I posted a sneak peek of the Limited Edition Halloween 2012 lip balms from Softlips, and recently I was sent this 2-pack from Softlips for review. Before I get into my review, I want to remind those of you looking for these lip balms that they're currently available at Target and can be found at the checkout lanes (not in the regular lip balm aisle).

 Softlips Limited Edition Marshmallow Ghost & Vanilla SPF20 Lip Balm 2-Pack
(retail: around $3.50, 0.07 oz per stick)
From Softlips:
  • Softlips Marshmallow Ghost features the flavor of fresh, fluffy marshmallows and comes in our first-ever black slim stick--perfect for the Halloween season. 
  • Softlips Marshmallow Ghost is available in a 2-pack and is paired with our best-selling Softlips Vanilla.
  • Both Softlips Marshmallow Ghost and Softlips Vanilla contain SPF20.
 Keep reading for my full review...





In general, Softlips lip balms have always worked well on my lips. They're not heavy-duty or ideal for when my lips are extremely dry, chapped or cracked, but for a regular, day-to-day lip balm with SPF, I think the texture is very nice and they're easy to wear. They feel very smooth and creamy on my lips and not overly heavy or greasy. The consistency is a little bit slick, but in a good way (it's not that heavy, waxy feel that you get from certain lip balms). I also like the staying power of Softlips lip balms--they seem to last for several hours on my lips and they also work nicely when worn underneath lip colors. Plus, the slim stick of Softlips lip balms always makes me feel extra "dainty" whenever I use it!

But let's get to the most important part of this review: the flavor and fragrance of Marshmallow Ghost. As I've said before, I LOVE anything marshmallow-scented, and I specifically love fresh marshmallow (I'm not a big fan of toasted marshmallow scents). I have heard from a few of you who own this 2-pack and you've said that you had a hard time telling the difference between the scent of Marshamllow Ghost and the regular Vanilla. For me, they are very similar, but I could detect a difference. However, I had Mr. G smell them both and he could not tell them apart. I don't know if maybe I'm just more sensitive to marshmallow scents because I love them so, or if the difference is so subtle that most people might miss it.

Before writing this review, I think I smelled both of these lip balms maybe 100 times. I keep opening them and, one by one, taking a whiff of each. My conclusion? Marshmallow Ghost actually has a stronger fragrance (to my nose) than Vanilla. Granted, both fragrances are soft, but I feel like I can get the essence of "fresh marshmallow" when I sniff Marshmallow Ghost, whereas Vanilla smells faintly of vanilla to me. I'm afraid that this is going to be a "your mileage may vary" type of thing though, and I can't say that you'll have the same experience.

As for the flavor of each balm, that's where I think the real similiarities lie. To my palette, both of these lips balms taste identical. They both have a soft vanilla taste to them, but I also detect just the tiniest bit of mint (it's not an overt mint, but maybe just a little bit of "zip" or freshness) and I also get a little bit of a "sunscreen" flavor as well (no doubt due to the SPF20 that's in both lip balms). 

FINAL VERDICT: Do I think you need to drive all around town looking for this LE 2-pack from Softlips? No. But if you spot them at the checkout lane at your local Target, I think they're worth considering if you know that you already like Softlips Vanilla and/or you're a Halloween fan who enjoys special packaging. I like that this is Softlips' "first-ever black slim stick" and, for me personally, Marshmallow Ghost smells distinguishable from the regular Vanilla. But, as always, your experience may be different from mine. Bottom line: if you know you already love Softlips Vanilla, then it won't be a huge risk to buy this 2-pack. Either you'll be able to tell the two apart, or you'll end up with two lip balms that both smell/taste like the regular Vanilla (but one will be in a fancy black case).

Do you already own Softlips Marshmallow Ghost & Vanilla? Could you tell the two flavors apart? I would love to hear from you!

PS: If you missed my sneak peek at the Softlips Holiday 2012 flavors, check them out here.

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I really think I should treat myself to these, haha :) I'm technically on a no-buy but these halloween goodies are really getting to me! Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'm just paranoid.. but I've always been a bit concerned about wearing spf on my lips.. especially synthetic spf (vs. a natural product). Just doesn't seem smart to be eating it all day. Anyone ever heard anything regarding the long term safety?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this duo a couple days ago and was hoping the Marshmallow scent would be a little more strong. So I was a little let down but overall I can't complain about the quality and how it works as a lip balm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They still don't have these at my target

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything marshmallow as well, and I agree that I prefer the fresh marshmallow over the toasted. I have literally been driving to my target and searching the check out lanes each day for these but they still do not have them. After your review perhaps I will reconsider my obsession with finding these. By the way, what other products could you recommend for the marshmallow lover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "By the way, what other products could you recommend for the marshmallow lover?"

      I know there were Peeps flavored lip balms.. a quick search showed them still available on Amazon. Have no idea what they tasted like though.

      Delete
  7. I love marshmallow and Halloween and when I first picked these up, I felt the same. No big difference. But now that I've been using the marshallow one for a week on and off indefinitely can tell its marshmallow vs regular vanilla. And for those that can't find it, I've seen them only in the checkouts closer to the door,p. you know how there are two rows of checkouts sort of opposite each other! Well the ones farther from the outside don't have them, but the row closest to the door had them. Hope that helps !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this in the regular lip balm / chapstick aisle at my target. I like the smell and taste but I really can't tell the two apart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought one for a friend, and one for myself. I loved them! And I might stop by Target and get a back up before they move these off the shelves. I really like the marshmallow scent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say the Marshmallow Ghost has a sweeter note than the vanilla. I love it just for the black packaging alone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used soft lips for years but I always had a problem with the packaging. I keep it in my pocket because I don't carry a purse... The cap would always fall off, or the product would push up... I would usually have to chuck it when it was down to the last third... the black package is interesting though. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig