Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Axe for Her Limited Edition Anarchy Body Spray

I'm not a huge fan of Axe men's body sprays, but there was a limited edition chocolate-scented one from a few years ago that was surprisingly amazing. I also have had good luck with some of the men's citrus body washes from Axe that were more unisex and quite nice. A few months ago, one of you mentioned that Axe was coming out with a women's body spray (if that was you, please leave a comment so I can thank you!). 

Ever since that comment, I've been keeping an eye out for this one, and I finally found it at Rite Aid a few weeks ago.

 Axe For Her Limited Edition Anarchy Body Spray
(retail: around $5.99, 4.0 oz)

Curious about Axe's take on women's fragrance? Keep reading for all the details...



For Axe's first jump into the women's fragrance pool, I was a little sad to see such a generic description. Couldn't you at least give us a few notes in this description, Axe? Luckily, the Axe website has a more complete description:

(from the Axe website)
"...a feminine mix of sparkling fruit notes (apple, blackberry) with soft florals at the heart and a light finish of sandalwood, amber and vanilla."
 So far, so good, right? The notes sound lovely to me...


 As with the men's body sprays, this one has a twist top that lowers the outer black casing to reveal the inner nozzle:


So, what do I think about Axe For Her Anarchy Body Spray? I'm afraid it's not very anarchic to my nose. In fact, it is boring and run-of-the-mill. On first whiff, it immediately reminds me of a generic women's deodorant body mist or a fragrance that you might find from an off-brand imposters fragrance from the dollar store. Ouch! I know that sounds harsh, but really I found nothing unique, unusual or inspiring about this scent. It's a basic powdery fruity floral that doesn't have any stand-out notes that make you think, "Oooh, yummy blackberry!" or "Aaaah, rich vanilla!". The notes all kind of blend together to create a muddy, generic, sweet, floral, slightly powdery fragrance that actually smells more like a stick of women's deodorant than a body mist (to be honest, I own some deodorants that have more interesting, original fragrances to them than this body spray).

On the upside, I seriously doubt that this fragrance would offend anyone. It's too generic to be offensive. So it would be a convenient fragrance to have on hand in a gym bag for a quick pick-me-up. Given the design of the can, it won't leak in a gym bag, backpack, etc. so, in that sense, the convenience and ease of use might be something to consider if you're looking for durable, take-anywhere type of fragrance.

Staying power is decent for a fragrance of this type--I can get about 2-3 hours of wear before I need to reapply (note: I haven't doused myself in it, spraying from head-to-toe though; if you do that, I'm sure the fragrance will stick around longer). 

FINAL VERDICT: For a debut women's fragrance from Axe called Anarchy, I was really hoping for something with strong, bold notes and a unique spin on the usual drugstore women's body mist. It would have been fun to have a brash, patchouli-chocolate type fragrance (Angel-eque, maybe?) or even a Pink Sugar-ish type of fragrance with maybe an extra fruity note to mix things up. But to come out with something so bland, so generic and so NOT anarchic is a disappointment to say the least. If Axe releases another women's fragrance, I hope it's something that people either love passionately or despise with a vengeance, so that at least we can feel some emotion when we smell it. At the $5.99 price point, I can think of half a dozen other fragrances that you could pick up for less and probably be happier with (any of the Designer Imposters, or even any of the deodorant body mists that from Dove, Degree, etc.). Sadly, this one's a pass for me.

If you'd like to try Axe For Her Limited Edition Anarchy Body Mist for yourself (and really, fragrance is so subjective--you could end up enjoying it...you never know), be sure to print out this coupon before heading to your drugstore.

Have you tried Axe For Her Anarchy? Thoughts?
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. My 7 year old daughter begged me to get this for her and I totally caved. I gag every time she sprays it. I can't wait until its empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this fragrance and wear it often. Kind of reminds me of Twilight Woods from B&BW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous that you get Twilight Woods from this! That's one of my favorite scents of all time from BBW, but sadly I don't get that at all when I wear this. Boo! :( Chemistry is such a funny thing, but i'm so glad this works for you!

      Delete
  3. I didn't like this one at all. I'd rather go without :/

    By the way, I think the chocolate one is still around (Dark Temptation, if I'm not mistaken - all I know is I love that one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that one for my husband all the time. I'm not wild at all about the women's fragrance though. I look forward to their next attempt.

      Delete
    2. They still do carry the chocolate spray at walmart! I actually wear it...my body chemistry makes it turn into a lovely amber-y chocolate.

      Delete
    3. You three just made my day!!! Thank you, thank you! I had no idea that was still around!! Whoo hoo!! :)

      Delete
  4. Funny you should say gym bag because I picked it up a few months ago just for that purpose and have only used it a few times. It not BAD just simple not GOOD either. thank god I only paid $3 at Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about it being not bad, yet not good. It just...is. Lol!

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried it, but I've been wary of Axe fragrances... Maybe it comes from my aversion to the male Axe scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the only male fragrance I like is the chocolate one, and I wear that one myself! Lol!

      Delete
  6. The coupon link doesn't work for me. =[

    ReplyDelete
  7. They gave this to me as a free sample at walgreens several months ago (and i mean it has been a while! I even forgot about it!) and i tried it but was not impressed, so i just tossed it in the back of my yummy smelling body sprays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I have one of those ”back rows” too!

      Delete
  8. Oh to everything that is holy, do not let my daughter see this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mens Colognes on myself too! Lol! I think they just smell sexy on a woman. My favorite current perfume is Boyfriend. I freaking love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha i love your review of this, G! and how offensively mundane it sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw this in my local grocery. I got really excited when I saw it, since I love my hubbys scents. It smelled pretty gross. Not horrible or anything, just not something I would wear. I went with a body spray from Secret instead.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig