Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Maybelline Limited Edition Salsa Sun Collection

As many of you know, I have been itching to get my hands on Maybelline's Summer 2010 Limited Edition collection, Salsa Sun. Finally I spotted the display at my local CVS the other day and it just so happens that CVS is having a 40% off sale on all Maybelline eye products this week, so I was able to pick up a palette and a liner (which I will show you later on in this post).

Maybelline Limited Edition Summer 2010 Salsa Sun Collection


This collection contains three LE eyeshadow trios, one LE eyeshadow palette, two LE eyeliners, LE nail polishes (I'm not sure, but I think that pink shade in the back is not part of this collection because it does not have a "Limited Edition" sticker on the bottle. There is also a green shade available--the model is wearing it), and four LE Color Sensational lipsticks.

Also, there is a tear-pad on this display with coupons for $2 off any Maybelline foundation (I don't know about you, but I don't like how many of these displays lately seem to feature coupons for products that are not actually part of the display).



As you can see, this collection is loaded with earthtones, golds, greens and colorful tomato-red type shades. I love it!

So here's what I bought (remember, these are currently 40% off at CVS, plus I had $1 coupons from the Sweet Thing display so it really helped cut my total cost down to just a few bucks a piece):

 Maybelline Limited Edition Expert Wear Eyeshadow Palette in Earthly Glow (retail: $8.49)


At first I thought, "Wow, the pans in this palette are tiny!" but after I started using them, I kind of got used to it, and I like how many colors are crammed into a compact that is the size of your average eyeshadow trio.

And of course, I immediately fell in love with these shades.  Lots of golds, bronzes, rusts, etc.  And there are different finishes to these shadow also. Some are shimmers, some are satins, and some are mattes.




As you can see, many of these shades have excellent pigmentation. One of my complaints about Maybelline eyeshadows is that some of them tend to be chalky with weak pigmentation. Not the case with this palette! I found most of the colors to be richly pigmented and they applied very smoothly.  The staying power is not as good as other drugstore shadows for me (like Wet n Wild, Revlon and Rimmel's new shadows) but of course you can wear a primer to keep things in place much longer.

If you're drawn to the colors in this palette, and you can get this on sale, I think it's a pretty sound investment because the shades are super versatile and can be worn in a zillion different combos.

Next, I purchased one of the LE eyeliners:

 Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner in Desert Jade (retail: $7.49)


As many of you know, I am an absolute sucker for green eyeliners. And you also probably know that I'm addicted to long-wear eyeliners because of my oily skin, AND my favorite type of pencil in the whole world is automatic (I hate sharpening!).  So this liner was a triple-threat for me. I had to get it.

And I am so glad I did! How did I not know about Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliners before? I am the queen of automatic, long-wear liners (Revlon Color Stay and Styli-Style Twist liners are my favorites)!

Ladies: if you have trouble with your pencil liners smearing and running, and you like Revlon Color Stay and Styli-Style automatic liners, you need to try a Maybelline Unstoppable.  I have been wearing Desert Jade for three days in a row now and I could not be more pleased with it.  It lasts and lasts and I have barely any smearing or fading on my LOWER lash line (the most problematic area for me) by the end of the day. Incredible!


Here's a swatch of Desert Jade. As you can see, it's a lovely, deep mossy green. Also, if you detect any sparkle in this swatch, it is NOT from the liner. I swatched this pencil after I used it on my eyes, so the sparkle is transfer from the eyeshadow I was wearing. Desert Jade has a very subtle shimmer to it but no sparkle.


Here's the same swatch after I did the rub test (I rubbed back and forth with my finger as hard as I could for about ten seconds). Please notice that while there was some fading, there was NO smearing or smudging.  It really stays on until you take it off, and it's definitely waterproof since I had a hard time removing it with regular soap and water. You do need makeup remover to remove this liner with ease.

And finally, here's a quick eye look I did with a few of the shades from the Earthly Glow palette and Desert Jade liner.



If you've got hazel or green eyes, I think you're going to love both this palette and this liner. I think these products bring out both the green and gold tones in my eyes.

So, do you own anything from the Salsa Sun collection? Is this collection speaking to you like it did to me, or are you "meh" about it? Either way, I'd love to hear from you!
SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I saw the green nail polish (I think the name is La la lime, but don't quote me on it!) and I wanted it so bad! I didn't pick it up though, so maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally need to find that palette now. I didn't pay much attention to it when i saw it, but I am loving the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it! I was going to pick up Earthly Glow at ULTA the other day, but I didn't because I heard the 8 shadows palettes had horrible pigmentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the neutral shades! I own unstoppable and like it as well; I was surprised that you hadn't tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didnt care for this collection at all until i saw those eyeshadows and wow they are gorge.. im going to have to run to cvs... though i dont recall seeing this collection there

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you happen to know what CVS stores in San Diego carry the "Reinventing Beauty" magazine and also what section they are in (magazine/beauty)? I am in the Chula Vista area and have tried several CVS stores here but can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this is sooo pretty. I really think Maybelline eye shadows are pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Beautiful!!!!! I love that eyeshadow palette! I didn't even know this collection existed--- thank you SO much for the review =) =) You're always on top of things, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your EOTDs are gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up on the Unstoppable Eyeliners, I'll keep that in mind as I have oily skin, too, and have the exact same problem with ELs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your eyeshadow look
    so cute and simple
    I never try this brands

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your eye is so beautiful! Wow that sounded so creepy, but i meant it in a non creepy way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm absolutely loving that eyeshadow set - what gorgeous colors! The eyeliner looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my gosh, the shadow and liner look AMAZING on you! i have been keeping my eyes peeled for this display but no sign of it yet. however, tomorrow is fill-all-my-prescriptions-and-print-all-my-coupons day, so maybe they'll have it.....

    btw i actually don't mind when the tear-off coupons are for something else. it's not maybe the most logical (unless they want you to buy the foundation to 'complete the look', i.e. spend more money) but i'll take a nice $2 off coupon anytime! i love Maybelline because they consistently have coupons like this, compared to some other DS brands that rarely or never do (i'm looking at you Revlon....)

    ReplyDelete
  16. beachbumbeauty13: Oooh, La La Lime! What a great name. You neeed to go back and get it! Every display I've seen so far has been sold out of this shade, so it's definitely hard to find. If you still have access to it, you're very lucky! :)

    I BLEED PINK: It's a great palette! The more I play around with it, the more I love it. Get it! :)

    Yuki: Yep, this one is a huge improvement over a lot of the other Maybelline shadows I've owned! :)

    1xellus1: Thank you, sweetie! :D

    Phyrra: You would be able to wonders with this palette! lol. :)

    PCS: That makes two of us! Where the heck have I been??? lol. xo

    Tiff: Oh honey, I think you might love this if you get it! :)

    couture_luver: Hum...I believe I've seen it at several different CVS locations, and it's *always* in the new makeup section (the shelves when you first walk in that contain all the new counter displays). I always tend to see a stack of them sitting there right next to the displays. But of course you can always ask a CVS employee for a copy--they'll know exactly where they're located. :)

    becky: OMG, this palette would look *amazing* on you, honey! You should totally get it (and post EOTDs when you do!). xo

    Beauty Maven: Awww, you are too sweet! Thanks so much, honey! :D

    jo: Thank you SO much, sweetie! And yes, I highly recommend trying one of these liners. I'd love to know what you think of them if you get one! :)

    Shaimaa: Thank you so much for that, sweetheart! :)

    Nancy: Wow, thank you, honey! And that didn't sound creepy at all! lol. xo

    ShakeupYourMakeup: OMG, you MUST get this palette. With your eye color, these shades would look INSANELY beautiful on you!! :)

    beautifulmonday: Thank you so much, sweetie! :D And you raise a very point. It IS nice that Maybelline always offers us these coupons, and I do not want to seem ungrateful about that. But I guess I always get excited when I see a new display full of goodies, and then I see coupons which SEEM like they're going to help me get the very same goodies for a better price and then....no. But you're right--$2 coupons are nothing to shake a stick at! And yes, I'm looking at Revlon too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Earthly Glow looks so beautiful! Now I'm torn because the amount of product is small and it doesn't have great staying power. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow... this looks really pretty. I am definitely going to try to pick up that eyeliner. I love the palette colors too, but I might pass since I have similar colors already.

    ReplyDelete
  19. cellocontour: No need to be torn about this palette! The staying power greatly improves with a little help from a primer, and the amount is actually good because, well, I don't know about you, but it takes me *forever* to use up a full-size eyeshadow. This way, you can use it up completely and (hopefully) justify your next purchase! lol. :)

    Jennifer: Yeah, I also have many shades that are similar, but sadly, it never stops me from buying more. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't remember if I posted already and it didn't show up, or I just didn't post this yet, so here goes: I was wondering if there are dupes for the lipsticks and the 8 pan eyeshadow. Perhaps NYX has dupes in their round lipstick collection, or maybe there are some other drugstore brands etc that sell dupes of these? I would like to be able to get these colors more than one, and possibly cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Not sure if you've run across it (I've only found it at my local small K-Mart), but there is a seperate Salsa Sun display solely for nail polishes, like there was for the Sweet Thing collection. All I remember is the colors were bright and strong, and there seem to be the same number of polishes as with Sweet Thing.

    ninarapoll@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig