Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 24, 2009

Review: Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Wet/Dry Eyeshadows

Well if you read my earlier post about how I scored five of these Victoria's Secret Wet/Dry Eyeshadows for free, then I'm sure you can understand my excitement about getting this package!

First I'd like to say that I was impressed with how VS packages their makeup. They wrap each eyeshadow separately in tissue paper and then put each one it its own tiny little box (and it's not a flimsy box either--very sturdy cardboard). There was no way for these shadows to break or crumble so bravo, VS!

So let's take a look at what I got:

Clockwise from the top: Blueray, Espresso Lane, Hot Ginger, Bronzinger, Gold Rush

Blueray

Espresso Lane

Hot Ginger

Bronzinger

Gold Rush

Swatched dry:
Blueray, Espresso Lane, Hot Ginger, Bronzinger, Gold Rush

Swatched dry (different lighting):

Swatched wet:

Swatched wet (different lighting):

As you can see, these shadows have very good pigmentation even when swatched dry, and I was pleasantly surprised with how soft the shadow is (some baked shadows are hard and difficult to pick up with your brush). This shadow is very easy to pick up with a brush and it applies very smoothly. My favorites of the bunch are definitely Hot Ginger, Bronzinger and Gold Rush. These three shades in particular are simply stunning in person and Hot Ginger sort of looks like a cross between Stila Kitten and Oasis and I just adore it.

I combined all five shades into one look so that I could test the staying power (note: I also used Espresso Lane to line my eyes). I didn't use any primer and I applied these dry.

These pics were taken 10 minutes after application:



And these pics were taken 5 hours later:



As you can see, the shimmer faded (especially in the brow-bone area) but there was very minimal creasing and I was quite surprised to see that the little pop of blue that I added to the center of my lids was still there! Usually that little pop of color is the first thing to go.

All in all, I am quite happy with the performance of these shadows when used dry and I cannot wait to try them with a mixing medium and also with an eyeshadow primer. I would definitely purchase these when VS is having a 5 for $20 sale (or for free if you have a GC, of course!).

[Halifax--you asked me to compare these to Milani Runway Eyes Wet/Dry Eyeshadows, but I'm afraid I can't do that. I thought I had at least one Milani Wet/Dry shadow in my stash but it turns out that I don't, so I didn't want to buy one just for the purposes of this review. Sorry about that!]
SHARE:

21 comments

  1. I'm not surprised your favs are the neutral toned ones :-) Great to know they are of good quality. No worries about the comparison (I asked because I thought you had one Milani too, lol). Thanks for the quick review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to try these.
    They look amazing wet!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Halifax! You know me too well! lol! Yep, I'm not surprised those neutrals are my favorites either.
    And that is too funny that we *both* thought I owned one of those Milanis! lol! If I see one on sale in the future I'll definitely pick it up and do a comparison. :)

    Hi Rai! I'd love to know what you think of these if you get some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really nice on you!! I bought these $6 for 20. I really love the colors. I didn't find out there was a pink one until it was too late and now I want it hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kitty! Thank you so much! I really rushed to apply these so it wasn't the cleanest application job in the world, so thanks for the compliment. :)

    Wow, 6 for $20 is a great deal! What colors did you get? Also, I bet you they'll go on sale again soon so you can pick up that pink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Bronzinger, Crystal Ball, Espresso Lane, Gold Rush, Hot Ginger, and Smokin'.

    You can see the pictures and swatches here:
    http://lipglosskitty.blogspot.com/search/label/vs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I just looked at your post! Crystal Ball is super pretty too, as well as Smokin'. So how do you like Hot Ginger? Do you like it as much as I do? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny thing, I was at the mall with my friend yesterday and I saw these eyeshadow. I remember reading about them on a blog before, but I couldn't remember what the verdict was. This morning the first blog update I see is your review! (Yes the other blog I read was yours as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I don't know why but I love shimmery browns! Even though I have many types of the same thing, I can never get enough of the pretty-ness of them and how they look on the skin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ive never tried their stuff but they are very pretty. they look like milani eye shadows. another brand i have not tried too.

    awesome post!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am loving Gold Rush, Hot Ginger and Blueray. Speaking of Victoria Secret, I have a coupon for a free lotion (get this-- no purchase necessary) somewhere on this computer. I'll share tomorrow when I find it.

    And a Bath and Body works coupon good for a free product with any $15 purchase too. Keep your eyes open for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shela, I think I know which VS lotion you are talking about. I got one of those and I have to say that I feel kinda bad going there to ask for the item because they only keep it behind the register and you have to show them the coupon haha. But nothing beats free!

    Here's the coupon so you don't have to look for it:
    http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBKhrKvAcckdyB7uqHy-Pizp3LY/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kitty! I've been a mess lately-- I can't seem to remember where I saved anything. And you are so right; the people at VS look menacing when you just walk up to them and ask for your free gift.

    But I have gotten free perfume, underwear, and lipgloss before and usually I make a purchase with it too. They used to have the Sexy line and I loved their lipsticks.

    I did find my B&BW coupon though-- free body care iten (up to $12.50 in value) with any $15 in-store purchase:

    http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/r/regf2?aid=528207786&a=0&n=39&D_CODE=1030

    Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautyful shades that you picked up. I've never used VS's cosmetics before, but these look real nice! I'll have to check these out next time they're on special! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Becky! Since I haven't tried the Milani shadows either (which totally surprises me because I thought I owned one!) I can't say which is better, but from looking at the Milani shadows in the store many, many times, I can say that the VS shadows have a lot of shimmer, while the Milani shadows look like they're more on the sparkly side. Not sure if that will influence your decision but, also, I think I prefer the color selection of the VS shadows. Thanks so much for your kind words about my review! xo :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Fay! That's so funny! :) Well next time you go, definitely take a closer look at these and hopefully they'll be on sale! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shela & Kitty! OMG, you girls are the best! Not only do you leave awesome comments but you leave comments that include FREE STUFF for all of us?? You ROCK!! Thank you both so much for the links and info! xo

    Also, I'm glad I'm not alone in my love for these neutral-tone shimmer eyeshadows! They are even prettier in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there, Mama Mish Mash! Up until this point, I had only ever tried the VS glosses, so I'm pretty much a newbie too. But I've gotta tell ya, these eyeshadows really impressed me. Definitely worth the time and effort to wait for the next sale because the colors are truly gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. No problemo. Hey, I did tell you I'd share beauty finds, didn't I? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. those shadows are gorgeous. I love that turquoise color. I need to pick me up some of those shadows!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig