Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, April 20, 2009

Quality makeup for under 99 cents. Go! NOW!



I went to Sally Beauty Supply the other day to stock up on my hair color (Color Charm 7W Caramel if you're curious) and I walked out of there with not only two bottles of hair color but a TON of great makeup and nail stuff for literally PENNIES!

If you haven't heard of Sally Girl, it's Sally's makeup and nail color line and most products retail for 99 cents a piece. I've read some good reviews about their eyeshadows and nail polishes but for some odd reason I always walk right by the display and go straight to the hair color aisle when I'm in there. Seriously, WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG TO TRY THESE??

So I checked out the display and currently the 99 cent items are on sale for 89 cents. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Granted, the products are TINY but when you're experimenting with color, the smaller the better, right?

I picked up three of the Sally Girl Eye Shadow Connecting Compacts in "Black Brown" (a matte medium taupe), "Espresso" (a warm slightly shimmery medium brown) and "Olive" (a slightly shimmery medium olive green). WOW. The powder is soft, easy to apply, easy to blend and gives a beautiful wash of color (I didn't try to build for more intensity because I'm all about the wash of color these days). Honestly, for 89 cents, I am beyond impressed with the performance of these eyeshadows. What a GREAT way to play around with colors and try some shades you normally wouldn't wear!

Next I purchased two glosses, also on sale for 89 cents a piece. I got a Sally Girl Mini Lip Gloss Wand in "LOL" which, in the tube, is a light, milky, peachy-coral with super subtle gold shimmer. The first thing I noticed about this gloss is that it very much reminds me of MAC Lipglass. It's got almost the same consistency (sticky) as Lipglass and the taste of "LOL" is super yummy (think fresh marshmallows). Sadly, this color looks almost clear on my lips, so I think I'll try a darker shade next time.

My favorite item of this haul is definitely the Sally Girl Mini Squeeze Tube Lush Lip Gloss in "Hoopla". Ladies, I can't stress enough how much you need to own this gloss! This is the best lip gloss investment you can make for under a dollar! Do not let the bright red color scare you. This is a gorgeous sheer red that deposits just the right amount of color to your lips. It makes your lips look flushed and super shiny and the staying power is excellent. And the best part? It's not sticky AT ALL. Oh, and did I mention that "Hoopla" smells and tastes like chocolate covered cherries? FUN! (But please note: If you're sensitive to fragrance, the color and flavor fade quickly.) Seriously, this gloss will be in my purse all summer long because not only is it gorgeous and super easy to apply, it's tiny! LOVE!

I also picked up three bottles of teeny tiny Sally Girl Nail Color, also on sale for 89 cents a piece. Continuing my search for sheer colors to layer over my boring stash of nail colors at home, I picked up "Champagne Kisses" (a sheer sea foam green with iridescent shimmer) and "Way 2 Disco" (clear with iridescent micro-glitter). LOVE these colors and what a fun way to jazz up my existing pinks, purples, etc. Oh and I also got "Type A" for my toes (a seriously crazy-bright neon purple). I would never buy a regular size bottle of this color because it's just so "Look at me!" but for 89 cents, why not try it?

And if that weren't enough, I get to the checkout counter and what do I see on sale? Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat which, as you probably already know, is only the best top coat in the world and guess what? It's on sale right now for $4.99 (regular price $7.99). How can you NOT?

So get over to Sally soon if you want to take advantage of these deals (I'm not sure how long they'll last but as of today they're still on sale on the website). And let me know what you think of that "Hoopla" lip gloss :)
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Seriously, I am getting that Hoopla gloss. It doesn't bother me one bit that it's tiny because I hardly finish one gloss before I'm on to the next as it is! Chocolate-cherry taste? I'm all over it! Thanks for the scoop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, great minds think alike! I am right there with you--in fact, I can't remember the last gloss I used to completion. Ever. Please let me know what you think when you get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, girl, i am really liking the sally girl suggestions! who says beauty must have a price??? :)(your friend from twitter)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bethany! I'm so glad I could pass along this little treasure to you! Enjoy, and do let me know what you think if you pick up anything :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig