Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Sunday, April 12, 2009

Degree Fine Fragrance Collection, Part III: Mission Accomplished!!






If you read this post, and this post, then you know that I was excited beyond words to find out about the new Fine Fragrance Collection by Degree, and then sadly disappointed to discover that I could only find two of the three fragrances in my area.

Thanks to the wonderful and helpful PR firm that works for Degree, I now possess all three body mists and deodorants! Yes!! I actually received this lovely package about a week ago but I wanted to give everything a good test-run before writing what will now be a proper and complete review.

Let's start with the deodorants. Now, I'm a looong-time fan of Degree deodorant (it's actually the only brand my mom will wear and I think I used "Shower Clean" for five years straight in the '90s), so there was nothing surprising here. Each stick of deodorant delivers in the way that only Degree can. Utterly dependable, not irritating in any way, and they all smell pleasant. The bad? They do all have that underlying "deodorant" base note that makes them all smell a little alike. Yes, you can smell the distinctive fragrance of each, but the "deodorant smell" comes through on each of them, which is not unpleasant but just makes them smell like what they are: Deodorant.

Next, the body mists. After trying each mist for a full day and night, my stand-out favorite of them all is the exact one that I loved when I first saw this collection at Target a few weeks ago: Classic Romance (the pink bottle, first pic above). It is definitely the most unique, soft, feminine and lovely fragrance of the three. In fact, the longer it's on my skin, the more I love it. At first sniff, it's a clean, watery floral, but as it develops it turns into a complex, soft, velvety fragrance that's super feminine and very classy. In fact, at first I thought it reminded me of Estee Lauder Pleasures, but now I'm going to make a claim that I didn't think I'd make: I like this MORE than Pleasures because Pleasures can tend to be too powdery for my taste. Classic Romance has got everything I love about Pleasures but none of the stuff that bugs me. Perfection in a 3 oz bottle.

Next up: Delicious Bliss. This is the one that, for some reason unknown to me, is not available anywhere in my city. In fact, I was just at Walgreen's yesterday and I saw a lovely end-cap display of the Fine Fragrance Collection but with only Sexy Intrigue and Classic Romance. WTH? Anyway...OK, since this is the one I had been eagerly trying to get my hands on, I was hoping to be blown away. Yes, it's very nice but no, I don't love it more than Classic Romance. I see teenage girls loving Delicious Bliss because it's light, playful, and fruity. But it's not ALL fruit--there are floral notes (hyacinth and magnolia)--but mainly it's a fun, fruity fragrance that sort of reminds me of Clinique Happy. If you're in a fun, light mood, this one fits the bill. But for me, it's just not unique or multi-dimensional enough. But remember, I'm a 38-yr-old woman with refined tastes. HA!

Lastly, we have Sexy Intrigue. I'm not sure if it's the jasmine and rose combination or something else about this, but it just reminds me of several Victoria's Secret fragrances of the past. There's nothing that "pops" about this one, but it's not un-likable. I think that if you're a fan of VS Dream Angels, et al, you will probably be drawn to this.

For all of my fellow recessionista fragrance junkies out there, the Degree Fine Fragrance Collection was made for us. Anne Gottlieb created these scents, for heaven's sake! That alone is reason to get out there and check these out. To have quality fragrances that are affordable ($5.49 per item) and widely available is just crazy. You'd be a fool to not at least give these a sniff.

PS: My CBC didn't do these justice, but the packaging of these products is sooo pretty! Also, the size of the bottles makes them super easy to carry in your bag. Yay!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and gratis samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I'll have to check these out, I'm a religious user of Shower Clean as well haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this update and the details about each fragrance. I am going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I don't like to waste money or time on new products that might not live up to the hype, so getting the inside scoop first is essential. Thanks for including the pix. You're the best, Recessionista!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah: OMG, that is too funny! Shower Clean rules :)

    Oceanwoman: You are so welcome!! I had a lot of fun testing these out. Please let me know when you try these - I'd love to hear your opinion!

    Anon: Thank you so much! I'm so happy that you found my review helpful!!! That's exactly what I strive to do with every blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Very thorough and helpful. Nothing is worse than trying a new product and being disappointed. It sounds like I'll really like the Classic Romance too. I'll be sure to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Anon! And I totally agree--nothing is worse than buying something without any prior knowledge and then having it let you down big time. I hate that! I hope that my review helps you out, and please do let me know if you like Classic Romance as much as I do? Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fruit/ citrus based perfumes that are slightly sweet with florals, so I love the delicious bliss, I would recommend these fragrances to anyone who love body sprays and think perfumes are too heavy or musky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi acbaker82! Thanks for the comment - I'm so glad to hear that you like Delicious Bliss and you're absolutely right! These are perfect for women who want something light yet still want a quality fragrance :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the deoderant like for classic Romance? Some how, you have forgotten to put down the most important thing about keeping a girl clean, her deoderant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anon! I'm sorry if you missed it, but in paragraph 3 of this review I give you my opinion of the deodorants. And then in the next paragraph after that I review the scent "Classic Romance". Hope that helps and thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a long time user of Degree as well (pure satin... :D ) I was excited about the new scent. I first read about it in a friend's bridal magazine. It was a really cool ad because it felt like a perfume including the flap that you can sample the scent.

    So the other day I bought the Classic Romance stick and the smell was great.

    But yesterday I ended up wearing an white shirt and it stained the underarms yellow. Degree has never done that to me before. Just wondering if anyone else has had that issue?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Pattertwig! I'm glad to hear that you're a longtime user of Degree, just like me. :) But I am so sorry to hear that you had that experience with Classic Romance. That is such a bummer (that's happened to me as well but not with Degree deodorants). I wonder if it has something to do with the way that the fragrance interacts with your own body's chemistry? I have no idea but I'm so sorry that happened. :(

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig