Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Friday, March 13, 2009

Felt: Not just for crafters anymore



I don't know about you, but I've never purchased a yard of felt in my life. I know you can get it at Michael's, Joann, etc., and it's cheap. In fact, I looked up "white felt" on ebay and you can get two yards for about 5 bucks.

If I haven't put you to sleep yet, let me explain. Are you aware that serious nail polish divas use white felt to remove their nail polish instead of cotton balls or cotton pads? Apparently the benefits of using felt instead of cotton balls are plenty:

1) You don't get residual fibers all over the place
2) Felt is much sturdier so you only need a little square to remove an entire manicure
3) You need far less polish remover when you use felt
4) It's quicker to remover polish with felt than with cotton balls
5) You won't end up with pink hands when you remove dark red polish from your nails (my personal favorite)

Now, I'm no mathematician (by ANY means) but I bet someone reading this can figure out if it's economical to use felt over cotton balls. Buy a couple yards of felt for 5 bucks, cut them down to little squares, use one square per manicure. Now compare that to spending about 3 bucks on a pack of cotton pads, use 3 or 4 of them to remove a manicure...hum. But then it gets trickier when you try to calculate how much polish remover you would save by using felt. OK I'm stopping here because my head is spinning.

I think I'm going to purchase a little square of felt the next time I'm near a Michael's and try this out because it sounds simply fascinating to me. I don't know if I'll go as far at the hardcore nail divas and use 100% acetone in tandem with the felt (they swear it works 100x faster than nail polish remover and is no more abrasive) because pure acetone just scares me. I don't know why, but it does. But I will try the felt and report back. And I encourage anyone reading this who feels compelled to try it to leave a comment here with your results.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I picked up some felt from the dollar store for a school project, and I had some left over. I heard about people using felt to remove polish, and it does work, I would recommend it, but I haven't tried it enough to say that you gotta go out and buy 20 yards, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Arezu! Thanks for letting me know that you tried using felt to remove polish and that you liked it. I have yet to buy some but I totally want to give this a try, especially since they say it works better at removing darker colors :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig