Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Thursday, January 19, 2017

My Favorite Drugstore Beauty Product of 2016


Seeing everyone do their "Best of 2016" round-ups this time of year got me thinking:

"What was the best drugstore beauty product that I bought in 2016?" 

Well I didn't have to think long or hard about that. The answer came to me almost instantly.


The answer: CoverGirl Clean Matte BB Cream for Oily Skin.


Debuting in the Spring of 2016, I purchased this product not long after I first posted about it back in May. And it was pretty much love at first "try". Retailing for between $8.50 at Ulta and $6.37 at Walmart for 1.0 oz., it's worth every single penny to me, and it rivals BB creams that retail for 3x as much.

Ingredients:
Water/Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propylene Glycol, Talc, Dimethicone, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Sodium Chloride, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Pvp, Silica, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate/Vinylidene Chloride Copolymer, Trihydroxystearin, Arachidyl Behenate, Methicone, Sodium Benzoate, Synthetic Wax, Hexyl Laurate, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Ethylene Brassylate, Behenic Acid, Polyethylene, May Contain/Peut Contenir: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides


The packaging is simple, with a precision squeeze tube applicator that allows you to control how much you dispense. But what really makes this product the best drugstore product I tried in 2016 is performance.

Since I purchased this right before summer, I had many opportunities last year to wear it in 100+ degree weather. I have very oily skin (especially in my t-zone) and let me tell you, this stuff doesn't budge on oily skin in warm weather, nor does it break me out. In that sense, it very much reminds me of my favorite drugstore foundation, which is CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 foundation. But to me, this is a lighter, easier to wear, less "high-maintenance" version. It doesn't have the full coverage of Stay Fabulous, nor does it have the hardcore matte finish (it's more natural looking). But it has the same staying power, making it great on light makeup days when you just need to apply something quickly and run out the door. You can apply this and nothing else, and it won't leave you looking "unfinished" like if you just applied foundation and nothing else. It looks natural on its own, which is great if you don't have time to apply other makeup.

What I also love about this BB cream is that I can apply it to bare skin without having to apply a moisturizer first (one of the benefits of BB/CC creams). So if I'm going to be out in the sun on a hot day, it's nice that I can skip that extra layer of moisturizer and go from applying my sunscreen to this BB cream and I'm done. I don't even have to apply setting powder with this stuff, which is rare for me.

My favorite way to apply this product is with my fingers. It's quick and easy and I don't have any issues with blending using just my fingers. In fact, I have even applied this in the car (as a passenger, not driver!) with no mirror and it looked fine when I got to my destination and looked at my face in the mirror. Impressive.

The formula is not too thick and not too thin. It's just right. I love that it doesn't settle into my fine lines or large pores, even by the end of the day. I also love that even though the coverage is medium-to-light, it concealers most of my imperfections (not all, but most) and I can go back in and layer more product without it becoming cakey.

As for the shade, I have tried "Light" but it was too light for my NC20 skintone. I feel that "Light/Medium" is the best fit for me. It's not perfect, but it's close enough!

Again, I have oily skin and this product works beautifully for me, but I have seen this BB cream on many other bloggers' "Best of" lists this year, including those with dry skin. So if you have normal-to-dry skin, don't discount this one. It may work for you too.

So that's it. My favorite drugstore beauty product of 2016. Please check back next week when I reveal my favorite high-end beauty product of 2016 (it may surprise you!). In the meantime, do you own this BB cream? What do YOU think of it?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

44 comments

  1. Wow! I'm impressed! I didn't have high hopes for this because I've tried the NYC BB cream for oily skin and it was not for me, I'm curious to try this one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love this one, Lily. Please keep me posted? :)

      Delete
  2. I fell in love with a covergirl BB cream last year too, although it was the cgsmoothers variety. Now I'm tempted to give the clean matte a try too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried the regular one, but I love this one so much, I don't really feel the need to! :)

      Delete
  3. I was considering buying this product but I was hesitating since a lot of drugstore products don't work on my super oily skin... after reading your review of it since we have a similar skin type I am totally gonna give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised! Keep me posted? :)

      Delete
  4. I was interested in this but the shade selection sucks. However with your review I'm more tempted to try it. With that being said they definitely need to expand the color range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It does. Especially for darker skin tones. Even me, a very light complected person had to buy two shades to mix.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. They definitely need to extend the shade range...ASAP!

      Delete
  5. Heading to Ulta this weekend and giving this a try- can't wait! Despite trying a few different foundations and being drier than ever this winter, for some reason I've been getting oilier and am needing something more matte. I love the versatility of BB creams. Thanks as always for everything that you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're so welcome, Stephanie. Please do keep me posted! :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you for doing your version of the "Best of 2016". I tend to stay away from drugstore BB creams/foundations because there are no testers. If you recommend it then this is worth checking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Don't forget that CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens all have excellent return policies on beauty. You can return or exchange used beauty products at all three retailers, so there's no risk if the shade doesn't work for you. Return and try a different one! :)

      Delete
  7. Same! I started a new job recently that requires me to be in the office for up to ten hours. I tried out a few foundations the first few days to see which ones lasted the longest without caking/looking oily and this bb cream was the outstanding winner. I now use it exclusively for work and when I need longwear foundation I can count on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'm so happy to hear you love this one too! And congrats on the new job! :)

      Delete
  8. When you said 100+ degree heat I was sold. Do you use a primer with it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my favorite too!! I'm also a NC20 and use the shade light medium. We can start comparing foundation shades lol! I usually get the same shade as Emily Noel and it works out. Xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahek, how did I not know we were twinsies??? Yay! Do you use the Loreal Infallible foundation? If so, I would LOVE to know the shade. It's been on my to-try list forever but every time I'm in the store I can never decide on a shade. Lol!

      Delete
    2. Lol! Yes I do! I'm in the shade 104 golden beige. You're going to love it! It took a couple tries to figure out what shade I was and it doesn't help that all the Infallible shade range numbers are inconsistent

      Delete
  10. Totally agree! This stuff rocks for staying power on oily skin. The shade selection is limited so hopefully they will add more colors to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that the staying power rocks for you too! Yay! And yes, I REALLY hope they expand the shade range this year.

      Delete
  11. I completely agree with you. I was honestly blown away by this. One of my absolute favorites. I would recommend to anyone with oily skin! Just wish it wasn't so pink on me. I sometimes use this as a heavy duty "primer" under my foundation and it really holds up so long. You should do your oily skin favorites I'd love to know what else you like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreed. For me the CG product is very similar in wear and appearance to the IT Cosmetics CC+ cream, perhaps without the skin-improving benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's impressive, now I really must try it. I was surprised that I like Ready Set Gorgeous, CG never used to work for my skin tone. I'm also absolutely loving the new WnW Photo finish foundation and powder too, it's amazing! Pity it's online only, at least so far. Funny how out of all the HE ones I have, the 'cheap' foundations have been winning lately! :) Price is no longer a guarantee of performance for sure.

      Delete
  13. I love BB creams and tinted moisturizers but never thought to try this until I read in your review that it works for normal to dry skin types. One thing that I love about sheerer base products is that the shades don't need to be a perfect match like they do with regular foundations but appreciate the heads up about the shade that works for you. I will be picking this up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, now I'm curious! I have combination skin but in summer I'm oily all over

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've picked this up countless times only to put it back on the shelf. That's it, this weekend, I've biting the bullet. I've been waffling between light or light/medium. Thank you for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally agree with this, G! I love it and turned my sister on to it who is as fair as they come and she felt she finally had a match that didn't look orange on her skin. Product works great and at the price point it would be hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmmm...I've stayed away from this because CG's shades are usually awful for me -- like they think people are either flamingoes or Oompa Loompas. Is this yellow-toned, or more peach?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my holy grail foundation.

    I first tried it in the summer and it lasted all day on my oily skin in extreme heat. We're talking, sweat dripping down my face.

    It's cheap as chips, too!

    I love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have it. LOVE IT. Oily skin girl too and same color as u have. Glad to see it's on ur list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hmmm, now I really want to get my hands on this! my all time fav drugstore foundation was Covergirl Natureluxe, but they discontinued :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I completely agree! I have tried so many foundations for my adult acne combination skin (greasy t zone, dry cheeks) and it knocks out many WAY more expensive products. Agree that it is not "full coverage" for blemishes but does tolerate layering if you need a little extra in spots. Good pick! Appreciate your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It doesn't say it online, but I went to two Ultas and it was on clearance at one, and the display was completely gone at the other one. I'm so worried this is going to be discontinued.:( I already love it! I grabbed a Light and Medium because they were out of the Light/Medium shade.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I picked this up a week ago at Bed, Bath & Beyond on clearance for about $3 -- before coupons! Guess I'll have to go pick up some more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I needed a bb/cc cream to take to the hospital for delivering my baby. This post came at the perfect time! I bought it and used it today and it's perfect! You can't beat the price either! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been wanting to try this, but the lightest shade in pretty much all CG foundations/products aren't light enough :( I have the Manic Panic white mixer, but don't really like how it mixes with my foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess I'll be the odd duck out.. but this product was awful on me. It really did me dirty too... I tried it on a day I thought I would be home (hard lessons learned in the past) and wound up having to take care of some business unexpectedly. In only about three hours it started breaking up and had gone greasy. Gave it a blot to try to improve matters and it completely came off the center of my face. I had to meet with city officials and be seen by quite a few people for the rest of the afternoon like that, before I could make my escape home. It was mortifying. Where DS products are concerned I had much better results from either the oil control version of the Garnier BB, or the Rimmel matte BB in the past. CG has had several good base products I enjoyed... but this one went right back to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would LOVE to try this product, as I love the outlast foundation and the stay gorgeous foundation, but all the shades look so orange in the store :( I might get it anyway since i have points at walgreens

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a great formula for you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Two big thumbs up for a drugstore foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for your recommendation of Covergirl clean mat B.B. Cream. After reading your post, immediately bought a tube in Fair. It's truly a superior product. Sheer and light enough for my fair skin. It does not clog pores or cause breakouts. Looks smooth and fresh for hours. For less than $7, amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig