Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, December 23, 2013

Review: Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin CC Color + Correction Cream SPF20

A few weeks ago I spotted the new Organic Wear CC Cream and Mascara display at CVS (click here to see what it looks like) and I couldn't resist picking up the CC Cream. I've been wearing this for about two weeks now and I'm ready to give you my thoughts about it, so keep reading for a closer look!

NEW Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin CC Color + Correction Cream SPF20 in Light/Medium
(retail: $14.95, 1.2 oz)

As noted above, this product retails for $14.95, but there are $3 off peelie coupons on the boxes (I used my coupon for this purchase so I obviously can't show it to you). Also, if you wait for a good sale (like the ones they're having at Rite Aid and CVS this week), you can bring down the price even further.

According to the Physicians Formula website, this product comes in two shades: Light and Light/Medium. I really hope they decide to come out with more shades eventually, because, as you're about to see, the Light/Medium is a good match for my NC20 skintone, but I doubt it would work for skin that's much deeper than NC25-30 (and I think that NC30 might even be pushing it). 

Another thing I noticed on the Physicians Formula website is that the product info states that this is SPF15, but you can see that the packaging above clearly states that it's SPF20. I think the typo in question is on the PF website, because this product is marked as SPF20 twice on the outer box and again on the actual tube itself.





Looking at the product info above, you can see that there's an emphasis on hydration here. That's great for those who are looking to skip their usual moisturizer and use this product as a true all-in-one that can take the place of moisturizer and foundation.


The tube itself has a metallic finish, which isn't ideal for a product that you can apply with your fingers. It's difficult to NOT leave fingerprints behind both on the tube and the cap, and I've found that I need to wipe this tube down every time I use this product.


Notice the instructions to "Shake Before Use". I definitely suggest doing this, because this product can settle a bit and you want it nice and evenly mixed every time you use it.


I was happy to see an inner safety seal on the opening! Here's what it looks like on the back of my hand:


This is not a thick cream. It's on the thinner side, which worried me at first because I was afraid it would be too sheer for me to get some nice coverage. But when you blend, you'll find that the coverage is actually very nice:


Before and after photos:


Looking at the "bare skin" pic, you can see that I have some broken capillaries on my cheeks, redness, old acne scars, sun spots, you name it. But look at the middle picture--see how natural the finish looks on my skin? And in the third photo, where I applied some setting powder on top of the CC Cream, most of my flaws are pretty nicely concealed, without my skin looking cakey or heavy.

What I love: This product has a very second-skin, natural type of finish, and I LOVE that it looks like I'm not really wearing makeup, even though it does a very nice job concealing imperfections. Obviously you can still see some of the redness of my broken capillaries, but I am not wearing any concealer in these photos--this is just the CC Cream working its magic here. I also love that this product is easy to apply using just my fingers (which is what I used above) and it doesn't become cakey if I go back and add a bit more (although I find that I don't really need to build for more coverage because the coverage is very nice on the first try). I also love that this product has no fragrance--it just smells like a natural "base" and that's it. I also love that my skin feels very soft when I'm wearing this product, and it still feels a bit soft after removal. Removal is easy as well using just my regular facial cleanser.

What I don't love: Staying power is very good (I have no probably with this product lasting the entire day with setting powder) BUT I do experience breakthrough shine in my T-zone (I have very oily skin) after a few hours of wear. For the record, it's been cold here in San Diego while I've been testing this product so I don't know how it will work during the warmer months. Since this product has a heavy emphasis on hydration, I  can absolutely skip my regular moisturizer before applying, but I'm scared that the hydrating properties might be too much for my oily skin during the warmer months. If you have normal or dry skin, I'm guessing the hydration level of this product will be great for you, possibly even in warmer weather. Also, this product can pool up a tiny bit in my larger pores, but that's only when I apply using my fingers (using a stippling brush or beauty blender type of sponge for application definitely helps to avoid the product pooling up in pores, but that goes for just about any foundation). And of course I also don't love the limited shade range of this product--I wish there were more options than just Light and Light/Medium. Lastly, the metallic finish on the tube makes it prone to fingerprints.

FINAL VERDICT: If you can find a shade that works for you, I think you might be quite happy with this CC Cream, regardless of your skin type. It absolutely lives up to its claim as a color-correcting product (just look at my before and after pics again for proof). Yes, this might not work as well in warmer months if you have oily skin (I have no way of knowing this until the weather warms up) but for cooler months, this has been an excellent CC Cream for me and I can imagine it working quite well for those with normal or dry skin. This product can definitely take the place of both moisturizer and foundation for me, and I can even skip concealer if I'm in a hurry and not feel insecure about leaving the house. In fact, this CC Cream is quite comparable to some of the Asian BB Creams I own (even though it's a CC Cream) and it's definitely better than some of the US drugstore BB Creams I've tried, as far as coverage and finish go. The biggest selling point for me personally is definitely the coverage. It manages to cover so many of my imperfections while leaving my skin looking natural--what more could I want? And the fact that it contains some nice, organic ingredients AND it's fragrance-free make it even better. I definitely recommend this one if you're looking for good coverage with a natural-looking finish.

Have you tried any of the new-for-2014 Physicians Formula products yet? I'd love to hear from you!

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

28 comments

  1. thanks for going in depth with this review G. I can see by the photos you posted that this is NOT the product for me. I need a tad more coverage and to me, this product has a bit of a 'chalky' finish (although that could be the setting powder). I'm not a huge fan of PF liquid foundations so I will skip this one. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And just to set the record straight, this product does NOT have a chalky finish. Look at the middle photo--that's the one without setting powder.

      Delete
  2. After your review, I'm definitely interested, but I'm sure I'll need the Light shade. I use mineral foundation now and I think it might work well with this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what you think if it when used with your MMU!

      Delete
  3. I think the new youth code serum foundation? From this line is holy grail status for me. Can't wait to see what your thoughts are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I have been wanting to try this stuff :) Thanks!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loo like a great product to invest in! I'll probably give this a go, but I'm also concerned about the shine breakthrough. Love how much it covers up without any concealer though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good on you G., too bad about the breakthrough shine after such a small time span. Seriously this is ground breaking for me, but I really don't think I need another CC, BB, or foundation for a long while, as I have enough to last me years probably. I am totally tempted to try the Alba CC I finally spotted at Target, but I'm gonna us what I have for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah...pt2...
    I forgot to answer the Q. I know the bf will be putting the PF CC Mascara in my Christmas stocking, so I'll be trying that for sure. I don't really feel a strong pull towards anything else from this line, although I do love PF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I may just have to return my 30+ dollar mineral foundation for this! The stuff I'm using seems to have about the same level of "naturalness" :) but that dewy/natural sheen that's the foundation type I live for. Thanks for this review, I'm going to head to cvs today ( or maybe Thursday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty impressive coverage. It looks good and natural without powder. I definitely may buy one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review! It sounds like it's a nice product if the shades match.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love their mascara! I haven't tried their BB creme yet, but being it has mostly all natural ingredients I am highly inclined to doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How does this compare to Garnier BB cream?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How does this compare to Garnier BB cream?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just got this and the silver label is easy to peel off so if you don't want to bother wiping it down each time, it's an option to consider. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm definitely going out to get this right now....Thank u for your great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So I bought it at CVS just 2 days ago and I'm already in love with it! I'm in the shade light/medium. The coverage is fantastic and it doesn't feel like I have on tons of make up. I tried it once with setting powder and once without, and didn't experience any shine breakthrough (but it might be because my skin is dryer due to winter weather).
    If the CC cream is this great, I'm dying to know if the mascara is any good. Anyone out there tried it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've noticed a couple of bloggers giving a letter/number combo to describe their skin tone. Is there a place you can go to get that information? Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm really curious. It would be really helpful to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is in reference to MAC's system to skintone shades, which is an Industry standard. If you go to a MAC counter,, they can tell you what your number is in just a minute it so, and it can really help, as a frame of reference, when you see bloggers refer to their shade. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  18. Do you think it's just a matter of time before there is a BB Cream that is meant for full coverage? Or, does that totally take away the entire idea of BB Cream?

    I got the BB powder from PF. That was something new to give a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Missha M Perfect Cover BB Cream most of the time, and it gives more coverage than the others I have tried. I love it. Do an online search. It's not cheap, but they often have sales. My favorite brand of BB cream is Skin79. Both Missha and Skin79 have many options as far as finish and coverage, and last I checked they had samples you could get for cheap to try it out first. Missha has CC creams now, too, but I am not familiar with them.

      Delete
    2. Lol, you won't have to search too far for a Missha Perfect Cover review, since I reviewed it right here on my blog a year or two ago. It's my favorite Korean BB cream. :)

      Delete
  19. Ugh I really want to buy this because I've heard a lot of good things and I really need a face product to wear during the summer (I live in California so it's going to be very hot) but I guess I'll have to skip on this one because I have pretty oily skin too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Does this cc cream cause breakouts?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Any chance you'll do a warmer weather update
    I have oily skin and live in warm weather

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig