Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Monday, August 5, 2013

When patience is rewarded (AKA: My Ross haul)

There's a lot to be said for seeing something you want and buying it on the spot. It's fun to be spontaneous and sometimes you just deserve to treat yourself with a bit of instant gratification.

But sometimes, you can be greatly rewarded for having a bit of patience. Any bargain shopper will tell you that the key to the best deals is waiting. Waiting for a sale, waiting for a coupon, waiting for a clearance or, in this case, waiting for the things you want to end up at Ross.

Here are a few things I purchased at Ross over the weekend and I have patience to thank for these deals:

 Elizabeth Arden Pretty Hot eau de parfum
(Retail: $52; Ross price: $14.99. 1.7 oz)

I'm not usually a fan of Elizabeth Arden fragrances, but do you remember back in October of 2012 when Kohl's started selling the Candie's nail polish line? I went to Kohl's shortly after I posted about the Candie's line to check out the polishes in person, and naturally I made a stop at the fragrance counter to check out their wall-of-testers. That's when this pretty red bottle caught my eye. I instantly fell in deep "like" with this fragrance, but I obviously didn't like the price tag (the 1.7 oz bottle above retails for $52 at Kohl's, Ulta, etc.). 

But here's the thing--we all know that most Elizabeth Arden fragrances eventually find their way to Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. So I told myself to make a mental note of this fragrance, wait several months, and start checking around. So when I went to Ross this weekend, I went straight to the fragrance shelves and lo and behold! I found ONE bottle of Pretty Hot on the bottom shelf, tucked behind the usual Paris Hilton and Mariah Carey fragrances. And it was $14.99. SCOOOOOOOOORE! 

Look at the pretty lid:


From the Elizabeth Arden website:
Fragrance Mood: Mesmerizing. Fearless. Sultry. Pretty Hot is a sultry fragrance of unmistakable confidence that exudes a sensuous, alluring warmth. 
Lush red fruits ignite a daring floralcy against the backdrop of smoldering amber and woods for a fragrance that turns up the heat. 
Latina Beauty Award Winner 2009 - Best New Fragrance 
KEY NOTES 
Top Notes: Red currant, Blood Orange, Juicy Mandarin, Freesia, Red Apple. Middle Notes: Red Peony, Belle de Nuit (Queen of the Night) Scentrek™, Pimento Blossom, Petalia,™ Georgywood.™ Dry down: Sensuous Amber, White Patchouli, Tonka Crystals, Sandalwood, Cosmone.™

And finally, I scored this

 Color Club Spring 2013 Fiesta Collection
(retail: $48 on the Color Club website; Ross price: $7.99)



We all know that Color Club collections show up at Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx quite often, but the Spring 2013 Fiesta Collection was one that I really, really wanted it first debuted (you know I love my cremes). But since I know that entire Color Club collections often show up at discount stores for about $8 (the price of one Color Club polish at some places) I told myself to just wait it out and hopefully, someday, I'd get lucky. And lucky I got!

Mamba, Flamingo, Wild Cactus

 Sunrise Canyon, Endless Summer, On The Rocks

Check out some swatches of this collection here. *Swoon*

So...are you patient when it comes to your beauty purchases? Do you wait and hope to get a good deal eventually, or do you tend to be a bit more impulsive? 
SHARE:

37 comments

  1. I'm excited for you that you found so many goodies, G.! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove finding full Color Club sets on discount! So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's like hitting the lotto! ;)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Ross, my all-time Favorite store!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What ross so u go to??? Where there more polish sets?? I really want them!!:0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to several, but I found these at the Kearny Mesa location. :)

      Delete
  5. LOVE finding Color Club collections at Ross! It's too bad there are very few when I come across any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet haul! did your CC's have the names printed on them? That is my one gripe with those sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! And that bugs me too...but for the price I can't complain! Lol

      Delete
  7. what are some of your go-to Ross/marshalls/tj maxx locations? I also live in SD, and I know some locations are better than others. I'm wondering where you score your goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have good luck at the Ross in Kearny Mesa and sometimes the one in Lemon Grove. The TJ Maxx in Santee is pretty good, as well as the one in Clairemont. The Marshalls in Clairemont is good, as well as the one in El Cajon. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  8. I usually, wait, and really get some good deals, sometimes I rusg myself and end up paying more because I couldn't wait a lil bit more

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so wish that I could find anything close to these deals! I've been to numerous Rosses all over the Los Angeles area, and the cosmetics section always makes me gag- opened, tested packages everywhere, sets torn apart...I can never find anything because some people out there ruin it for everyone else :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo!! I hate it when you find something you want, only to see it's been massacred. :(

      Delete
  10. Great score! I was at TJ Maxx yesterday and the only Color Club was the holiday scented set which I already have. Hopefully going one town over on Wednesday to Marshalls because baby needs a new purse so maybe these will show up! I hope you review the fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Home Goods! Hope you score a nice purse, in fact everytime I need a new bag (or not, lol) I get it at Marshalls or TJ Maxx! They have the nicest selection for a bargain. Extra score if you can find one you like on clearance. *Good Luck* and happy shopping! :)

      Delete
    2. I agree with you both! I loooove purse shopping at these stores. I also have really good luck at Burlington when it comes to purses... they tend to carry a lot of single-strap hobos, which are my fave!

      Delete
  11. OMG Pretty Hot for $14.99! I so wish I had a Ross nearby- you got some great deals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??? I'm STILL freaking out about that! Lol!

      Delete
  12. Sometimes Burlington Coat Factory sells color club as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah! I keep hearing that but my stores here NEVER have them! :(

      Delete
  13. I love Ross!! That perfume bottle is so gorgeous!! I'd buy that just to put on my dresser:)) Great finds my friend!
    xoxo
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey! It is a gorgeous bottle and the juice inside is equally as pretty! :)

      Delete
  14. That Color Club set is an amazing deal! I recieved the mini Wild Cactus in my Birchbox a few months ago, it's beautiful. Sadly, I don't have any Ross stores near me (closest one is in NJ I think). I do have Marshalls and TJ Maxx, multiple locations actually in the 45min radius, and a couple of months back I scored a full size bottle of Lavanilla Pure Vanilla fragrance for $20!!! Sephora sells it for somewhere around 60 usd! On that same trip I also got a dupe of "The Wet Brush" for like 3 and change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg for $20???? That is the score of the ccentury!!! I would have been trembling at the check-out! Lol!

      Delete
  15. Great finds!, Heads up to you ladies, Sears has the 1.7 Pretty and Pretty hot on clearance for 13.00 if you can find them in store.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good finds, I found Crystal Noire (Versace) and Ellen Tracy Bronze at my Ross today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a fanatic haul! I love popping into Ross and finding amazing deals. All but one of the Color Clubs I own were purchased this way haha. Good job :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'm right there with you on that one...I think all but one or two of my CCs were purchased separately as well! ;)

      Delete
  18. Don't you love finding steals like this?! It really makes your day.. Great haul!
    Reminds me of the day I went to Duane reade and found a shopping basket full of cosmetics that were marked down to 99 cents.. Milani blushes, Milani es, orly nail polish, Milani nail polish, almay es, almay mascara,PF Bronzer, and yes to carrots lip balm. :) enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do!! And wow, you hit the lotto that day!!!! :)

      Delete
  19. I found the Electropop set there last weekend as well as this Physicians Formula trio for only $8 I think. I still have to send you the picture of some of the Physicians Formula palattes I saw for $3.99 each. I don't know if someone sent it to you already but I figured just in case. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just picked mine up from TJ Maxx today - for $12.99! So sexy and spicy but still subtle.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig