Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Swatchfest: China Glaze Fall 2012 On Safari Collection

I recently received four of the twelve shades in the China Glaze Fall 2012 On Safari Collection for review. If you'd like to see bottle shots of all twelve shades, please see my previous post here.

This collection hit stores this month, and it couldn't have come a bit too soon for me personally since I LOVE fall shades. So let's take a peek!

 Four shades from the Fall 2012 China Glaze On Safari Collection
(retail: $7 each, 0.5 oz)

The first two pics of every color were taken outdoors with no flash. The third pic was taken indoors with flash. All swatches were photographed after two coats of polish and one layer of clear top coat. All four of these polishes dry to a shiny finish (no mattes or satins here), however I love extra-shiny cremes so I couldn't resist adding a layer of top coat to each one.

 Kalahari Kiss

I can honestly say that I don't have another polish like this in my collection. It's a butter yellow with just a splash or two of beige, and I was so afraid it wouldn't work with my skintone (I can't wear certain beiges because it brings out the redness in my skin, aka lobster claws). But I think this one works! If you're looking for a little bit of an edgy alternative to your standard beige creme, I think this one's a must-have. Two coats for full opacity, and you could even get away with one coat if you were careful.



 Elephant Walk

 Here's another two-coater that could probably be a one-coater if you were careful. There is a very subtle shimmer to this elephant-gray, which you can only really see in direct or bright light like this:


 I smudged my pinky and middle finger right before I took these photos, so I apologize for how obvious it is in this photo:
 

 Prey Tell

Vampy, vampy, vampy! I'm always drawn to shades like Prey Tell because they make me feel sophisticated. This one didn't disappoint--it's perfect in two coats and even though it's super dark, it never looks black, even in dim lighting.



 Man Hunt

And finally, we have Man Hunt. Super easy to apply (two coats for perfect opacity), this one was incredibly difficult to photograph. My photos in low lighting seem to be more accurate, so pay closer attention to the following two photos. This is not a bright, eye-searing royal blue, but rather a deep, ink-blue that really looks like blue ink from a ball-point pen when on the nail.


FINAL VERDICT: all four shades I received were a dream to apply. Most were almost completely opaque after one coat. You won't need to apply three coats of any of the these shades, that's for sure--two coats is perfect. The formula of all four polishes was great, and I found none of these polishes to be thick, watery or difficult to manage. The must-have for me out of the four shades I received is Kalahari Kiss. If you love the look of butter yellows but haven't been able to find one that works for your skintone, I'd consider picking this one up because it's got just enough beige in it to make it wearable for a variety of different skintones. I'd also consider this polish if you're a beige or nude fan and want something just a little bit different for fall.

Do you already own any shades from the On Safari Collection? Thoughts?

 A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

24 comments

  1. I saw this collection at Sally Beauty Supply last weekend but I didn't buy because I thought these colors were boring! They didn't have Man Hunt or Prey Tell though, and those are my two favorites! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they're pretty boring shades.. nothing I don't already have. I'm kind of glad nothing great has been coming out lately.. it's giving my wallet a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry these aren't doing it for ya! :)

      Delete
    2. really? then do you happen to have/know of a dupe for Prey tell, especially a cheap one?

      Delete
  3. I'm eyeing Elephant Walk and Man Hunt... they're in my cart right now on Transdesign, just waiting to be ordered. They may not be "exciting," but I think they're gorgeous and will be perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man Hunt is even prettier in person to me. :)

      Delete
  4. These are all gorgeous! I love Elephant Walk, it reminds me of Essie School of Hard Rocks ALOT. Also, Man Hunt is pretty, too. But I think it might be a stainer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for mentioning that! I was prepared for Man Hunt to be a Stainer, but maybe since I applied a thick coat of Gelous base coat beforehand, I didn't encounter any staining. Also, I only use one cotton pad per nail during removal, and I only swipe ONCE, in one direction, per cotton pad. That's how I remove all of my polishes and it really helps to avoid staining my cuticles. :)

      Delete
  5. I actually really like this collection. I'm fairly new to the wonderful world of lacquer, so these are great fall colors to add to my rapidly growing stash! lol.

    I have Kalahari Kiss, I Herd That, I'm not Lion Adventure Red-y, and Exotic Encounters. The only one I probably could have passed on was Adventure Red-y, since I have a good amount of reds, but not too many cremes.

    I agree the formulas are good, and there are definitely some one coaters in the collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear these are one coaters for you too!

      Delete
  6. I forgot to add that I like Elephant Walk, I just wish there was a bit more shimmer to it. I'm afraid it might look a little "boring" . Who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll get it at some point haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! It's definitely a more subtle shimmer, huh?

      Delete
  7. Prey Tell is my favorite! I love vampy reds like that, too; they always look so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked up Desert Sun (the caramel or butterscotch color) and I Herd That, the glitter, yesterday. I usually wear cool-toned shades so that was a leap of faith for me. I looked at Kalahari Kiss but it looked so grayish in the store, not very buttery at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was the lighting in the store? It's definitely a buttery yellow beige for me! :)

      Delete
  9. I have the two glitters and OMG are they worth buying. They are not just glittery but some of the glitter leans a little holographic. I want Kalahari Kiss too. Really pretty collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the tips about the glitters!!

      Delete
  10. Prey Tell is the only one I am getting, all the other colors have been done before. Boring collection, JMO> Thanks for the revirews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I thought I wasn't interested in anything from this collection, but since I've been seeing swatches, there are a few that I am interested in after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which ones are you thinking about getting? :)

      Delete
  12. If you have nothing nice to say.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. does anyone know if there are dupes for Man Hunt, especially in cheaper nail polish lines like Sinful Colors?? I really want it but can't justify spending 7 bucks after all the beauty purchases I've made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Sally Hansen CSM line has one that looks really similar based on pictures, and it's on clearance at a lot of Walgreens right now. The color I'm thinking of is Thinking of Blue. Also, you might still be able to find Man Hunt at Sally's on clearance for $3.29.

      Delete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig