Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Saturday, November 19, 2011

Review: Yes To Carrots Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF15

Believe it or not, I think this is my FIRST Yes To product I have ever owned. I've seen Yes To products around the drugstores, Target, etc. for years and have always wanted to try them, but for some reason I just never have--until now. I actually ran out of daytime moisturizer last month (not strange for most people, but given the amount of products I'm testing at any given moment, it caught me off guard to have NOTHING in my home to use during the day). So instead of repurchasing one of my go-to daytime moisturizers, I decided to buy something new.

 Yes To Carrots Daily facial Moisturizer SPF 15
(retail: around $14, 1.7 oz)


While looking around the drugstore in search of something new to try, this product caught my eye because of its promise to be non-greasy. I have very oily skin and I simply cannot wear a heavy or overly greasy moisturizer in the day or my makeup will suffer tremendously. I was also drawn to this product being free of petroleum and parabens; I've been using other products that contain both of those ingredients lately so I thought it would be a nice to try out a formula without them. I ended up paying about $12 for this product after my Rite Aid Wellness+ member discount, which I think is a fair price for a moisturizer at the drugstore.





Another selling point for me is the packaging--I LOVE pump bottles for moisturizer.



Unfortunately, after using this product every day for about three weeks now, I'm afraid that it's not a love-match for me. Contrary to what the packaging says, I find this moisturizer to feel very greasy on my skin, no matter how little I use. The pump on this bottle dispenses far more than I need for my face and neck. Even using half a pump, I find this product incredibly challenging to work into my skin and it never fully absorbs. 

Here's a set of photos using half of a pump of product on the back of my hand:



I knew going into this that the zinc oxide in this product would probably leave a white cast on my skin before it absorbed, so I wasn't too concerned to see this:


But I just don't like the fact that I need to rub...and rub...and rub...and rub before it gets to this:


 Every time I use this product, I feel like I'm standing at my bathroom mirror for a half an hour rubbing this product into my skin. And even then, it just never quite feels absorbed enough to be able to start my makeup application. In fact, even though I don't wear makeup primer as much as I should, I felt it was an absolute necessity when I was using this moisturizer, or else my makeup would just slide off my skin in a matter of a few hours.

I've tried many times over the past few weeks to get this one to work for me, but it's just too greasy and heavy as a daytime moisturizer on my oily skin. This one's strictly nighttime for me, but I already like the nighttime moisturizer I've been using lately so I guess I'll give it to a friend or family member with dry skin and see how it works for them.

The fragrance of this product is sort of a cross between a standard lotion base and a generic sunscreen scent. It's not strong or overpowering and it fades pretty quickly.

FINAL VERDICT: My skin does feel nice and soft when I use this product, but then again, I could apply pure, organic shea butter to my face and it would feel nice and soft. My point is that I need more than just a soft-feeling face to make me want to continue using a product. I need my daytime moisturizer to feel lightweight, and it must absorb quickly (when I say quickly, I mean within 10 minutes or so). I also need it to gently deliver moisture to my skin throughout the day, without it causing my makeup to slide off my face. I find this product to feel heavy and greasy and not only does it take a very long time to apply, it also never full absorbs into my skin. This would be fine if it were a nighttime moisturizer, but if you're looking for a non-greasy daytime moisturizer, I just can't recommend this if you have oily skin or even just an oily T-zone. However, if you have normal-to-dry or dry skin, you might have much better luck.

Do you own any Yes To products? If so, do you have any favorites, recommendations or raves you'd like to share? I'd love to hear from you!

SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I hear that stuff is really great! Tell me how you like it, especially during the winter time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Mode Operandi: Um, I'm sorry but I think just DID tell you how I liked it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Yes to Cucumber makeup remover towelletes. They remove all my mascara and make my face actually feel clean once I'm done removing my makeup! I used to use the Neutrigina makeup remover ones and I'll never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading that it has Vitamin E made me suspicious of it, so your review didn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure Vitamin E does not agree with my oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL @ the first comment

    i've nvr tried any Yes to stuff so i cant recommend anything but i'll prolly skip this moisturizer now that i saw ur review :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I've only used one Yes To facial product and it did nothing for me. I like my Yes To Carrots Lip Butter, but I would probably never go for a facial product again. Seems like a lot of people in the beauty community love Yes To products, I just don't see why though :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually tried the same moisturizer.. and I didn't like it as well. It didn't suit my skin type...
    I always have been a fan of the Kiehl's products.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried a yes to blueberries smoothing cleanser and I didn't like it at all. It didn't feel like it was getting my skin clean by any means. It was way too moisturizing, and suited to older skin I think. The smell was nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I'm giggling a little at your comment above, G!! I have not tried Yes to Carrots but have tried Yes to Blueberries eye cream and it didn't do a thing for me. I love Boots Bergamot Overnight Cream, don't be scared by the overnight part. I use this as a day moisturizer as well and it absorbs beautifully, has the best texture, I just love it. I buy mine at Target and it comes in the prettiest vintage-looking jar :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey G,

    I also love the yes to cucumber remover wipes, especially the smell.

    Since we have the same skin type, you may want to test the Olay complete spf 15 for sensitive skin. I've tried soooo many other moisturizers over the years and it's my HG for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that's a bummer, i love the Yes To Blueberries moisturizer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While I have never used this product, I do have another moisturizer you may like. I had coupons for Clean & Clear and Target had such a great deal "back then", I could not pass it up. It turned out to be a great maisturizer. The one I selected is Clean & Clear Pore Perfecting Moisturizer-Oil Free. It has an SPF15 and goes on so easy; no white residue. I too, have oily skin and love the matte finish. Maybe this would work for you. Thanks for all of your great info!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this moisturizer. I usually take half a pump and add a few drops of argon oil. Makes my skin so soft and I actually like that "dewey" look.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this line of products. The Yes to Carrots body lotion is great, and I just tried the YT Blueberries towelettes, which are great! They remove makeup and leave my skin, which is dry, leaving very little night moisturizer. They don't remove mascara, tho. It seems mascara and I are bonded or something; nothing I try takes it off, and it's not even waterproof. Only thing that works is Clinique, which is a bit pricey. Long story short, I love the Yes To line, and also because they're cruelty-free.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig