Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Review: Salma Hayek Nuance Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trios

I've reviewed a few of the products from the Nuance Salma Hayek collection at CVS and I've really enjoyed them. So I was delighted to recently receive some additional products for review--it's always fun to explore a new line and, most importantly, get your input and opinions!

Today I'd like to show you the Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trios:

 Nuance Salma Hayek Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trios
(retail: $8.49, 0.155 oz)

Nuance Salma Hayek products at sold exclusively at CVS and they are not tested on animals.

These eye trios comes in four shades:

 Left to right: Sapphire, Pewter, Bronze, Champagne

Each trio contain three sections: on one end there's a black automatic eyeliner (the shade of black is the same for all four trios); in the middle there's a retractable shimmery white highlighter stick (again, this is the same shade for all four trios) and on the other end there is the cream eyeshadow.


EYELINER INGREDIENTS: DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, CERESIN, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX, PEG-8 BEESWAX, POLYETHYLENE, PROPYLPARABEN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE. MAY CONTAIN (+/-): MICA, TALC, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491,77492,77499), BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090) 

HIGHLIGHTER INGREDIENTS: ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, PEG-8 BEESWAX, RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL, PETROLATUM, CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX, POLYETHYLENE, PROPYLPARABEN, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE. MAY CONTAIN (+/-): MICA, TALC, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491,77492,77499), BLUE 1 LAKE (CI 42090), TIN OXIDE (CI 77861) CREAM 

EYESHADOW INGREDIENTS: WATER, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, POLYMETHYLMETHACRYLATE, STEARIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE SALICYLATE, PEG-6, GLYCERINE, TRIETHANOLAMINE, MINERAL OIL, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, CETYL PALMITATE, DIISOSTEARYL MALATE, SORBITAN ISOSTEARATE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PETROLATUM, METHYLPARABEN, CARBOMER, DISODIUM EDTA, PROPYLPARABEN, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. MAY CONTAIN (+/-): MICA, TALC, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491,77492,77499), CHROMIUM HYDROXIDE GREEN (CI 77289), CHROMIUM OXIDE GREENS (CI 77288), SILICA, TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE, METHICONE


The shade Petwer is the color I instantly gravitated toward, and I'll show you an eye look I did using this trio a little bit later in the post. This is a lovely grayish-green shimmer:



Since the highlighter and eyeliner shades are identical in each of the four trios, I'm only showing you one set of swatches for those products. As you can see, the highlighter stick is a shimmery (borderline frosty) true white, and the eyeliner pencil is basic black.  Here are all four eyeshadow shades:


After using these products for a few weeks now I am happy with the results, although I do favor some of the products more than others. For starters, the highlighter shade (again, you get the same white shimmery highlighter in all four trios) is a bit stark and must be used lightly.  I do like to use a tiny bit of  it on the inside corners of my eyes when I'm doing a nighttime look.

The cream eyeshadows work well for me when worn alone, as long as I take some time to really blend them out (I just use my finger). If I apply too thick of a layer to my lids, I'll see creasing in just a few hours. However, if I blend these shadows out and use them as more subtle wash of color, I'm able to go about six hours before I see any significant fading or creasing.

My favorite way to use the eyeshadows is as a base for powder shadows. Much like the CoverGirl Intense Shadow Blast Eyeshadow + Primers, these seem to create a nice, shimmery base for corresponding powder eyeshadows.

But the real star of these trios seems to be the little automatic eyeliner (and apparently I'm not alone in my thoughts because Jeweled Thumb likes them too). This little black liner is beautifully pigmented and it goes on smoothly (it's not a gel pencil so it doesn't have that type of consistency, but for a regular liner it's got a very nice texture). I like to wear it on my waterline and also on my upper lash liner, and the size of the applicator fits quite nicely in my hand during application.

Here's a quick eye looks I did using the Lights, Camera, Action Eye Trio in Pewter:



I used nothing else on my lids but the Pewter cream shadow (no primer underneath). You can see that even though it's sheer and blended out quite a bit, this shadow still retains a nice amount of shimmer and when the light catches it, it's very pretty. On my upper lashline I used the black liner from this trio, and I also used the liner on my waterline. On my lower lashline I used the Pewter cream shadow and just blended it out a bit. I used the shimmery white highlighter on the inside corners of my eyes.

FINAL VERDICT: For $8.49 (or less if it's on sale at CVS), I think these are a handy product to keep in a makeup bag, especially for traveling. You can use the cream shadow as a primer for other powder shadows, and unlike other 3-in-1 products where the eyeliner is usually the "throw-away" product, this is a nice, high-quality liner that I think many of you might enjoy. The highlighter stick is nice for the inside corners of the eyes when you want an extra bit of shimmer for nighttime, so that's another reason why I think this would be a nice product to travel with; I hate to pack a separate highlighter in my makeup bag when I know I'm only going to use it once or twice during a trip.

You can purchase these trios, as well as the other products in the Nuance Salma Hayek collection, at CVS (both in-store and online).

Have you tried any products from the Nuance Salma Hayek Collection at CVS? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

A sample of this product was given to Nouveau Cheap for editorial purposes, either directly from the manufacturer or from the agency that works on behalf of the manufacturer. All reviews on NouveauCheap.blogspot.com are the honest opinion of its author and editorial samples do not, in any way, affect the outcome of product reviews.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Ooooh very pretty! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that they had this, does it crease?

    ReplyDelete
  3. penelope_amor: You are so welcome! :)

    conniewxx: I talk about the creasing (and how to prevent it) in this review. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the detailed review! I like the idea of using these as a shimmery base under powder shadows. I'm going to watch for a sale and maybe give these a try. We still have Longs and not CVS so our sales dont always match CVS which kinda stinks.


    ~Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get why they'd put the same highlight and eyeliner in all of them - it seems like that would discourage people from collecting all the shades ... I mean, it wouldn't be *that* hard to make each one slightly different, would it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow; did you get a better set than I did? LOL! I'm glad these worked for someone. I tried 2 of them (with primer) and hated both. I expected more for the high price, almost $10 apiece when I got them. Awesome product idea but lousy execution, for me anyway. They were smudgy, low pigment and hard to apply (shadow was watery and sheer, liner was smudgy and never seemed to dry, highlighters too white and chalky, one might have been a touch more gold-white but once on the eye, no difference) and neither had any lasting power whatsoever- about five minutes and that wasn't even my waterline :( I also felt you didn't get much product for the price either, the liner itself was only about an inch long. I would have used that up way before the others.

    Perhaps I just got a bad batch, or just proves how YMMV. I was glad CVS has a return policy, because they went back as fast as I could get there. When I returned them the SA told me she'd had lots of returns of these and other items in the line in general by other disappointed gals. I hope the rest of the line is better but I'm kind of afraid to try again, honestly :( oh well, plenty of other fun things out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. smartshopper: You're so welcome. And wow, you still have Long's in your area? I miss my Long's Drugs SO much! lol! :)

    erin: You certainly raise a good point. I wish that the highlighters and liners were in different colors too, especially now that I have all four. Would be nice to see a variety. :(

    Steffy: I'm so sorry you had such a different experience with these. I have to tell you, I usually don't expect cream shadows to work for me so I went in with low expectations, but after using Pewter for three days straight, I was very happy with the results. If I blend it out, it stays put for me for 6+ hours! Also, the liner wasn't smudgy for me at all, which is unusual since most liners smudge on me. So I'm really bummed that it was smudgy for you (FYI, I'm not the only one who likes the liner--I linked to JT's review in this post). As for the highlighter, I didn't get chalky from it, but I did get stark. It's a true what that is definitely not easy to wear as a brow-bone shade, but just a touch in the inner corners of my eyes (like in the pics) worked well for me. Oh well...I'm glad CVS has such a great return policy so that you weren't out any money on these. Sorry they didn't work for you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. CVS has a Nuance bucks deal starting 10/30/11 buy $10 get $7 bucks (that's a deal!). I bought this in the champagne color and think it's a great bargain. Mally makes a similar 3-in-1 product (no highlighter though) for a lot more $$ and I didn't like it nearly as much. I used the shadow over a little primer and it lasted all day, as did the liner.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig